cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear tire pressure dually

Obewan
Explorer
Explorer
Just changed from a TT with 1200lb tongue weight to a fifth w approx 4000 pin weight. Haven't gotten to the scale yet. I'm confused.... placard on truck door says tires rated at 2660lbs at 65psi for rear duallies. Michelin load rating says 2778 at 80psi for duals. Should I inflate to 65or 80psi? Didn't have to think about this as much with only 1200lbs. Always kept it at 65.
2015 DRV Mobile Suites 44 Lafayette Walden
2014 Ram Laramie 3500 dually
44 REPLIES 44

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
:S Uff da as we Scandinavians say.

Wow, that is an ugly bulge in that tire. Wow again!!!

I once owned a 2003 Chevy dually, with those same tires on it (Goodyears).

Airing them up one evening, getting set to go camping and the fronts had a serious crack/split in the sidewall all the way around the tire. This was a deep, serious split!

Replaced all six with Michelins and never any more problems.

Back to the bulged. :h I too do not see any other marks on the tires, other than at the bulge point. Strange situation.

Glad that your other tires are wearing well for you without problems.
ya-ya-ya, had Michelins once and got rid of them and put on Goodyears and never any more problem.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

webecreekin
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
A question.

Were there any marks on the other dual opposite and in the corresponding location where the huge bulge is on the tire pictured???????

Yes, there was. There were marks on the inner sides of the other set, too.
2015 Ford F-350 Lariat
2018 Cedar Creek 36 CK2

www.cedarcreekrvownersclub.com

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
A question.

Were there any marks on the other dual opposite and in the corresponding location where the huge bulge is on the tire pictured???????
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
My 02 Ford Crew Dually Gassers door placard shows Dual at 60 psi for rear duals max load and front at 55 max load.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We bought new tires for our 1st fifthwheel and the spare was laying on the ground because we bought bigger tires and wheels so I was looking at the spare and saw a little black bubble on the sidewall. My first thought was a black widow spider as I grew up with that spider in our basement bedroom for years.

I touched the bubble and the tire deflated. Glad it happen as it did. The bubble in the post was amazing .

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
The Mad Norsky wrote:

Airing them up one evening, getting set to go camping and the fronts had a serious crack/split in the sidewall all the way around the tire. This was a deep, serious split!

Back to the bulged. :h I too do not see any other marks on the tires, other than at the bulge point. Strange situation.

I thought that also, but remember the tires are just touching not rubbing past each other. It would not cause scuffing, but the contact could cause a heat build up at that location.

I agree on the rubbing part but there should have been some signs that would have caused such a problem.

Another interesting thing, that wheel is spotless. I know mine have road grime on the inner dual within just a short time.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Mad Norsky wrote:

I thought that also, but remember the tires are just touching not rubbing past each other. It would not cause scuffing, but the contact could cause a heat build up at that location.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMHO that tire just looks like it had enough and let loose. You can see by the offset from the face of the tire to the face of the wheel where the bolt holes are that you should have close to 2" between the rear tires.

Oversized tires can touch those clearly were not.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

webecreekin
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't get the corporations involved. This was six years ago. The tires had 46,000 (or so) miles on them. I had just changed from a 5th wheel that had a 2400 pound pin weight to one that had 3400 pound pin weight. With the new tires installed, at 65 psi, I found that the tires were very close to touching in the static postion. My surmise is that they would touch when they flexed. Since I went to 80 psi, there is adequate, in my opinion, clearance. I have not had any problems since. I now have 60,000 miles (or so) pulling this trailer.
2015 Ford F-350 Lariat
2018 Cedar Creek 36 CK2

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
webecreekin wrote:
Here are some pics. I don't like it when someone doubts my veracity.

Nice you posted a pic. So if what you are saying caused this bulge is true one would think there would be some type of line on the tire where it made contact with the other tire.

Did GoodYear tell you this was the cause, or General Motors?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
webecreekin wrote:
Here are some pics. I don't like it when someone doubts my veracity. Please don't do it again.

WOW!!!

I guess the part of "not calling you a liar" did not get thru.

Just wanted to discuss the cause.

webecreekin
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some pics. I don't like it when someone doubts my veracity.

2015 Ford F-350 Lariat
2018 Cedar Creek 36 CK2

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
webecreekin wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
webecreekin wrote:
I ran 65 in my rear tires with my pin weight at 3400 pounds and they rubbed together. The result after 600 miles was a big bulge in the sidewall of the tire. They weren't touching in a static setting, but while flexing going down the road, they were touching. Cost me four new tires. The inflation charts and the scientific approach don't mention the tires touching.

Wow, I had never heard of that.

I would say they were not the correct size tires.

Stock tires. In fact, they were the originals.

My first thought is how do you know they were touching?

The bulge could be from anything, just a bad tire.

Just does not make sense. My Dually tires with 60psi and over 5K sitting on the rear and closer to 6K don't even squat.

Not calling you a liar!