cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rearview/backup camera

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about getting a backup camera and hooking it up so that I can see whats behind my 5th wheel trailer. I have mirror extensions, but its still hard to see whats behind. I would wire it so that I can turn it on while in drive. I figure a wireless one wont do it because of the length between the monitor and camera. I would have a 2nd camera for the back of the truck while not hooked up.
Anyone have experience with these things? I am thinking of this one at the moment.

Camera

Will need to buy a 2nd camera..maybe a license plate mounted one. .wondering if different brands will work together with this monitor?

I want the type of monitor that is in the mirror...I have enough junk hanging below the dash now. I could also get a new GPS with built in rear camera, but those are expensive too.

GPS
9 REPLIES 9

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Sturgeon-Phish wrote:
Something you may want to consider is an Edge CTS Insight as your monitor. Beside have the backup camera capability; it can monitor various engine and transmission operating parameters by plugging into your OBDII port.
You could get a camera and mount one on you camper and one on the truck and use the same monitor and just switch video inputs

Sent a pm.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
Something you may want to consider is an Edge CTS Insight as your monitor. Beside have the backup camera capability; it can monitor various engine and transmission operating parameters by plugging into your OBDII port.
You could get a camera and mount one on you camper and one on the truck and use the same monitor and just switch video inputs
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advise....going to order one, install next weekend

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the mirror mounted monitor, purchased from an ebay seller, wired with a plug for a dash power outlet. Since the power outlet is always hot, the monitor and cameras are powered up, anytime I plug the system in. The monitor has two video inputs and a remote for switching between cameras. I wired the truck, through the firewall, down underneath, and back up into the tailgate area, with about 15' of extra cable length. The cameras, cables, and monitor, all have standard RCA plugs. I did have to modify the power wiring to use the dash outlet.

I have four cameras (all from ebay sellers) for various functions, all with cabling that allows me to plug in which ever views I'd like to use.

1. Camera mounted on rear of truck camper (cabling from tailgate reaches this one)
2. Portable camera set on truck bed rail for loading / unloading the truck camper (uses cable from tailgate).
3. Portable camera with attached clip (clips onto the license plate), for hitching up travel trailer or utility trailer (uses tailgate cable).
4. Camera mounted on rear of travel trailer (trailer is wired to the tongue area, where tailgate cable plugs in)

As a norm, I am alone when loading the TC or hitching up trailers. Without the camera system, hitching up the utility trailer with truck camper loaded up, would be a real challenge. Two of my cameras have a line grid in the video, that not only gives an indication of distance to an object, but also, how squared up you are.

Tip for mounted cameras:

For rear view on back of a camper, mount the camera high as possible, angled slightly down, and preferrably with some type of glare shield. Mounted low and without a shield, increases the amount of time per day, when you'll have nothing but sun glare, or, night time headlight glare.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I've been researching intensely for one. I have similar issues, such as I don't want a lot of junk hanging inside because there isn't a lot of room.

Yoyager has proven itself both wired and wireless, but I am not prepared to drop that kind of coin into it. No matter which way you twist it with options, they are going to run $700+

Read the reviews carefully on the lower end systems, I have heard many complaints of the cameras fogging up and they are shot after that, not serviceable.

This one seems to get good reviews, and they are priced inbetween low and Voyager. I haven't pulled the trigger, because I don't necessarily want that big screen on my dash. Rearviewsafety

Happy shopping and I'll be watching this post.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
I can not determine from the linked monitor listing if the monitor can be switched from video 1 to video 2 input simply by pushing one of the buttons on the monitor, but this is a feature that you will want.

The rca connectors on these things for video input are fairly generic, but one input to the monitor is normally a male with the second being a female type. If you are doing the mix and and max between various vendors/manufacturers, a simple rca gender changer plug designed for audio will let you connnect the mismatched cables together. One tip: after connecting the rca connectors, wrap with electrical tape to prevent disconnection due to vibration.

If you can stand a larger mirror, you can get a bigger display with the larger 7 inch display type.

Search ebay for "mirror mount rear view monitor" to see many options.

Once you install your system, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Being able to see behind you is very helpful.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I have a wireless camera on the back of my fiver. I take the rig out alone sometimes so its a big help. It wasn't cheap but had great reviews and I didn't want to deal with the wiring involved to get a signal wire all the way from the camera to an area where it would plug into the truck.
Granted, wired cameras have better pictures and are cheaper but for my needs, I did not want to invest the time it would take to wire it. Good luck with your choice. Philliphttp://www.amazon.com/Voyager-WVOS511-Observation-featuring-Technology/dp/B004RCSW4I/ref=sr_1_1?s=el...
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
This site has several cameras for sale, along with the clip on display device.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Mini-Camera/614978_254827515.html

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
The camera looks like a great product, and compares favorably with the $250 optional camera on my van. It also looks like it will be extendable to the wiring on your RV, with 50' of wire to get it to the front storage area on the fifth wheel, then another 20' to get it inside the truck to the receiver. Then it is a matter of buying a replacement camera, and wiring both into the truck, with a easy way to change the wiring position.

I was thinking of getting this 'dash cam' that will record what is happening directly in front and behind my car on a 32 GB SD card.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-7-HD-1080P-Dual-lens-Car-DVR-Rear-view-Camera-Dash-Cam-Recorder-G-S... It will have dual camera's and they do make models with rear view mirror mounted receivers, this model is not one. (keep searching they have them at this website).

It would be fairly easy to keep looking around and find one camera that has RCA jacks (like the one that you are looking at) and buy two of them (they are not that expensive) and use the camera from both packages, then use one camera display for the first 4-5 years, and have the spare if the first ever breaks down.

Put in a search at that website for rear view camera and you get several thousand to pick from. Many have the 4.3" mirror mount that you where looking at from Amazon.com

I put a wireless camera on my motorhome, with the transmitter on the back, and wired to a switch near the drivers seat. I could turn on the receiver, and power the 12 volt camera on the back of the RV, it would give me a small view of what was behind me. Problem was it was a 'reversed image' so that it was looking directly at what was behind me, not a 'mirror image'. So what was on the left of the camera (passenger side) showed up on the left of the display picture (drivers side) while what was on the drivers side was on the right hand side of the display. After getting used to that, at least I could tell if I was going to run something over! and avoid it. The camera was only about $35 and was more intended as a front door camera, or security camera. It did what I wanted it to, for a very low cost.

Happy shopping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com