cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese Elite fifth wheel hitch.

GGoodsell
Explorer
Explorer
Son is getting truck ready for fifth wheel trailer and is looking at the Reese Elite hitch with underbed attachments. Anyone have this hitch and an opinion on it? Quality? Ease of use? Reliability of the locking mechanism? Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

dave_smith1
Explorer
Explorer
rsg63 wrote:
I have the Reese Signature series 24K hitch and it's been a good unit...I rarely remove my hitch even though I thought I'd remove it often.

Same here. I bought the Reese with the factory under-mount kit with the truck new. Works well & locks positively but does have the infamous "Reese Clunk".

Regarding the quick-removal feature - never taken it out since moved up to a FW a year ago! (Yes, I stored that hitch in it's crate in the garage for 2 years as we pulled a TT...just planning ahead!). Still, nice to have that option if I ever need it...

PS - in my typical BSA mode I also bought the gooseneck ball for the setup. Ya never know!
Regards,
Dave & Kristi Smith
----------------------
2013 Arctic Fox 29-5K FW
2011 Ford F350 Lariat
Visit our RV site!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before buying compare the B&W to another hitch side by side. You will pick the B&W.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume the OPโ€™s son has nothing installed in the truck now. If I was just reading on line (with no experience), I would be looking for a B&W dealer, a turn over ball, and a companion. However, when we ordered our new F-350, I thought that I would let the factory get the under bed Reese mounts in just the perfect place (as opposed to the neighborhood shop whacking away at the bed). Since we got the short bed (6โ€™9โ€ in Ford land) we needed a sliding hitch. While the Reese Elite fixed is a little pricey, the slider is stupid, ridiculous, pricey. Anyway, we ended up with an 18K Elite Slider and it is a well made, good working hitch. It latches completely first time, every time. We also have some experience with the Reese R16โ€”had a lot of trouble getting it to latch. Most of the time it would latch half way, but not enough to lock. The Reese hitches have a little built-in slop to the puck mounts on the hitch. They can be loosened, moved, and tightened for better alignment with the holes in the truck.

rsg63
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Reese Signature series 24K hitch and it's been a good unit. However, given what I know now and what I've learned from forums, I would buy the Trailer Saver hitch next time. I rarely remove my hitch even though I thought I'd remove it often. So a little more effort once every great while is fine with me, especially for the better ride.
2016 Bighorn/Fuel Rims/Michelin LTX's/MorRyde SRE4000 w/wetbolt kit
4-200AH LiPo batteries/MS2812 inverter/Prog 50A Surge/
8-100 Watt Renogy PV panels/60A Renogy Rover Converter/Reese Sidewinder/
2016 RAM 3500 Cummins MegaCab/45 aux tank/Hensley TS-3 hitch

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I went on both b&W and Pullright websight and found that they do fit the Ford prep. I don't know about rails, but the B&W I bought uses the pucks, and went in like a dream. The dealer put the hitch together and installed in about 30 minutes in my F350, 2014. I've had a Reese hitch that I used for several years. Always had problems hitching and unhitching. Unhitching was the worse. It would very hard to get the pressure off. Had a Super Glide, but found the B&W was cheaper so went with it. I'm really enjoying the hitch.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
I have one on my '12 F350 with Ford factory hitch prep. Works great with positive wrap around latch mechanism, but a little expensive.
Had Pullrite had theirs ready for the Ford factory prep at the time I would have bought it as I really liked my previous Pullrite. Less dollars also.
B&W also makes one to fit the Ford underbed mount that gets good reviews.

Just a note on this... I called b&w directly and asked if the Companion made for the Superduty fifth wheel hitch prep package would fit standard Reese Elite under bed rails. The lady I spoke with said that they (b&w) had not tested the OEM Companion with the Reese Elite rails but had some feedback from customers that it did fit but required some grinding on the cams.

Not sure if it's true, tifwiw I sure would hate to spend all that money on the underbed rails and an OEM companion to find that it required fitment. Then again, they could have just been CYA.

I suggest if your son goes with the elite underbed rails to go with the hitch designed for the aftermarket system.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

The B&W web site sure claims that it fits. Sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

And Pullrite web site claims theirs does also.

Neither website you provided states that their hitch for the OEM Ford Fifth Wheel prep package will fit in standard Reese Elite rails. Example, if I put the Reese underbed system on a 97 F250 the OEM Companion would require fitment.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
kydale wrote:
I have a Reese Elite, really like it on my 2011 ford 350. In fact I have two. Only room for one in the truck!

I actually own 3 of these hitches, and the goose neck platform. I own 2 without slider, and my Slider in my truck. I did have a Sidewinder on another truck, so it's not like I am collecting Hitches. I bought the 16K fixed, then moved to the 18K fixed (with my Sidewinder).
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

kydale
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Reese Elite, really like it on my 2011 ford 350. In fact I have two. Only room for one in the truck!

hook47
Explorer
Explorer
"I have a 2008 Chevy 3500 DRW truck with the Reese below bed rail kit, RP30082, installed. Will the B&W Companion Ford OEM 20K 5th Wheel Hitch for Trucks with the 4 Puck System fit in this kit?"
That was the question I asked of both B&W and Tweety's and the response I got was probably but had not been tested from B&W and yes it would from Tweety's. I bought it from Tweety's and had some difficulty in installing the hitch. There was interference from the pins and the pucks already installed in my truck. Support for Tweety's was excellent and several emails and calls were made to help resolve the issue along with similar support from B&W. Both places said it was ok to grind off some metal from the pins so they would rotate in the pucks which was the problem. As I investigated further it seemed that there was some metal of the puck that was preventing the rotation of the pin and it would be easier to grind it off than grinding on the pin. A cheap conical shaped grinding wheel chucked in a cordless drill did the trick.
I very much like the B&W, less clunking on starting and stopping and a little easier to hook up and unhooking. One issue, on both hitches, is reaching the lever to open and latch the hitch. I made a 2 foot long handle with a hook on the end that inserts in the latching hole of the hitch and secure it to the too short hitch handle with a lock. I know, a picture would help.
Hope this info helps...
2008 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 4X4 CC / Banks IQ with Speedbrake & Economind tuner /2013 38RESB3...I know, the TV color doesn't match the MS!

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Signature Series (same as the Elite) and it is a very nice hitch. The Elite is very costly as mentioned, I don't know if I would go this route again. I had a B&W turnover ball in other trucks, but I used the pucks in this current truck. The Signature Series was never cheap priced, but since Ford went with that system (Elite) as OEM the price is very high.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
jerem0621 wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
I have one on my '12 F350 with Ford factory hitch prep. Works great with positive wrap around latch mechanism, but a little expensive.
Had Pullrite had theirs ready for the Ford factory prep at the time I would have bought it as I really liked my previous Pullrite. Less dollars also.

Just a note on this... I called b&w directly and asked if the Companion made for the Superduty fifth wheel hitch prep package would fit standard Reese Elite under bed rails. The lady I spoke with said that they (b&w) had not tested the OEM Companion with the Reese Elite rails but had some feedback from customers that it did fit but required some grinding on the cams.

Not sure if it's true, tifwiw I sure would hate to spend all that money on the underbed rails and an OEM companion to find that it required fitment. Then again, they could have just been CYA.

I suggest if your son goes with the elite underbed rails to go with the hitch designed for the aftermarket system.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

The B&W web site sure claims that it fits. Sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

And Pullrite web site claims theirs does also.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

MrCrabby
Explorer
Explorer
I have it and really like it. Came factory installed on my F350.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS
2014 F350 Lariet 6.4 LWB