cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese Goosebox

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
The Reese Goosebox?? I've searched the topic but it seems there aren't many out there using it yet, I would like to hear comments from current users as I'm thinking of giving up the B&W companion in favor of safety chains.
20 REPLIES 20

imjustdave
Explorer
Explorer
oilslick wrote:
I have looked closely at the Anderson and did consider it, it's well made but anywhere in Canada safety chains would be required, whether they get used is a different story. The unfortunate thing about the B&W turnover hitch is the fact it's positioned 5 1/2 inches ahead of the axle center line in my 2011 Ram, by using the companion I can gain that 5 1/2 inches back which means hooking up with the tail gate down and being able to access the front baggage hatch while hooked up. I do like the B&W turnover and it works very nice in the 2013 Ram but the hitch placement in the 2013 is decided by Dodge as the hitch attach points are factory installed. The 13 is out right now but I text the driver to jump out and check the hitch position for me.:)

Do you have any idea why it is so far forward? I dont believe that is the correct location, On my 06 it is barley in-front of the axle
David

Jayco 2007 30.5 BHS ... Not sure I need the bunks now.
Dodge 2006 3500, Manual, free spin, B&W hitch.

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked closely at the Anderson and did consider it, it's well made but anywhere in Canada safety chains would be required, whether they get used is a different story. The unfortunate thing about the B&W turnover hitch is the fact it's positioned 5 1/2 inches ahead of the axle center line in my 2011 Ram, by using the companion I can gain that 5 1/2 inches back which means hooking up with the tail gate down and being able to access the front baggage hatch while hooked up. I do like the B&W turnover and it works very nice in the 2013 Ram but the hitch placement in the 2013 is decided by Dodge as the hitch attach points are factory installed. The 13 is out right now but I text the driver to jump out and check the hitch position for me.:)

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
oilslick wrote:
The Reese goosebox is approved for use on my RV and I'm fully aware that it will require safety chains as does the Anderson hitch system as it's also just a ball hitch, I also know that I can't double tow with the goosebox because it's a ball hitch. I'm grateful for the replies and comments from owners of the hitch and still might use one if the ball hitch placement is different on the 2013/14 ram from the B&W turnover in my 2011 Ram, I would go with a 2015 Ram.

The Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch, if used in NC doesn't require the safety chains, nor does it require them in VA and WV, at least last June when I checked on the regulations because I came within a hair of purchasing a Reese elite drop in ball and the Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch and did the research in the area's I might be towing in. I know some states may requite them, but NC didn't because of where the ball connection is on the Andersen hitch, ie suspended in the air about 2.5' off the deck of the truck, supported by a tripod type steel frame.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
The Reese goosebox is approved for use on my RV and I'm fully aware that it will require safety chains as does the Anderson hitch system as it's also just a ball hitch, I also know that I can't double tow with the goosebox because it's a ball hitch. I'm grateful for the replies and comments from owners of the hitch and still might use one if the ball hitch placement is different on the 2013/14 ram from the B&W turnover in my 2011 Ram, I would go with a 2015 Ram.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Goosebox is still a GN configuration...IF the manufacturer of the 5er states it's fine to use one, then have at it....I have a buddy with one and I find it easy to hook up to my 5er hitch than to his Goosebox, but it just may be what you get use to...You also need safety chains with the Goosebox. In most states you don't need safety chains for the Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch.

Again, instead of listening to all that's being said here, (including my post), I'd call the manufacturer of the 5er and see what THEY have to say about using the Reese goosebox with their 5er....I trust Lippert as far as I could throw my 5er....from them, I'd want it in writing. They're not much when building the frames for these 5er's, but will tell you to do something that they may not back in case something happens.

A phone call to the 5er manufacturer is such a silly simple thing to do than to try to glean from all these different answers one will get.....but common sense seems to be a rare commodity today....
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
mdamerell wrote:
Video - Installing a Reeseยฎ Goose Boxโ„ข 94622 by
CequentPerformance

In my search for hitch dimensions I came across that video. I have discovered that the center of the ball is the same as the center of the king pin, unfortunately B&W place their turn over ball 5 1/2 inches ahead of the rear axle so if I were to use the goosebox the trailer would be that 5 1/2 inches closer to the back of the truck, meaning I couldn't hitch up with the tailgate down and wouldn't be able to get into the front hatch of the trailer when hooked up and would no longer be able to use my current tool box let alone have a slip tank /toolbox combo. So I'm stuck using the companion for now on my 2011 ram but I'm going to check the 2013 ram to see if the turnover ball is in the same location as the 2011.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Video - Installing a Reeseยฎ Goose Boxโ„ข 94622 by
CequentPerformance
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

TexasDad
Explorer
Explorer
Been towing with the Reese Goosebox for 2.5years now. For me, it has been the best tow setup I have ever used.

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
mdamerell wrote:
I've used the Reese Goosebox since fall of 2012. The only issue I have is I have to put air in the air bag every time I use it. The relieve valves on the air bags sometimes have a slow leak in them. Trailer rides just fine. Got caught on the edge of a tornado last year and it behaved better than some semi's I've driven.

Last time I talked to Lippert they talked about offering it as OEM.

According to Reese since it's an RV and built to some standard (can't remember the numbers) 5th wheel rules apply and chains are not required. Since I have spare hole in my "pin box wings" I was thinking about adding a set just to avoid any discussions with law enforcement.

My Goose Box is mounted in the bottom holes. When it as not, the ends of the "wings" on the pin box mounting brackets would get too close to my bed rails for comfort. In the bottom holes I have plenty of clearance.

OP here, aircraft use a valve cap that have a seal in them I've also seen them for automotive use, one of these would cure your leak. My concern with the goosebox is does it move the pivot point of the trailer, I tow with a short box and although my 5ver cap has cut away corners if the goosebox didn't move the pivot point forward I might not have the 5 inches of clearance the companion gives me. As for getting rid of the companion for a goosebox it would give more bed room in front of the hitch for a slip tank/toolbox, hooking up ball trailers is no problem first time every time with a backup/inbed camera I do it all the time. Sorry I read fill valve and you said relief valve.

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
45Ricochet wrote:
I've never heard someone giving up a B&W companion for any reason none, zip nada. Lets see here, a 5th wheel hitch is pretty simple to back into, straight shot first time every time. Now you bring a ball into the equation not to mention chains which 5er's don't need.
Sounds like your retired and have plenty of time my freind. Believe me my GN is never a back under 1st try ever ( can't see it) . Same with the boat although it has a wheel to cheat or move around at bit.
IMO your trailer emergency brake switch is much safer and eaiser than safety chains.

Now you have, I did just that. I went from a B&W companion to the Andersen due to the weight of the companion. I could not get it in and out of the truck easily. The same is NOT true with the Andersen. I make the connection as easily as I did with the companion, since I can see the ball and socket in the rear view mirror and can raise and lower the landing gear with the remote to my Ground Control System.
I am very happy and would never go back. I carry safety chains, but you cannot see the hitch from a passing car so who would ever give me grief? If I encounter a over zealous LEO I will attach the chains.

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
We considered this hitch when first getting our FW but it was backordered so we went B&W companion. The reason for consideration was that it would allow for clean bed without heavy hitch removal and according to dealer, it was covered under manufacturer warranty of the frame. We watched the videos of the hitch at the dealer and were impressed. Had it not been backordered, it would be what we are using. We have no problems whatsoever with the B&W but DH has a bad shoulder and usually needs help removing the hitch. One of our grown sons usually does it for him. The hitch comes out after ever trip because he pulls gooseneck trailers regularly. Some say it takes more than one try to hook up a gooseneck...he usually hits it spot on first try. He is 50 years old and has been pulling gooseneck trailers since before he was legally old enough to drive. Everything from cattle trailers to flatbeds. I guess it is really all in what you are used to. I don't see us spending the money to switch hitches now but when our new shop/RV storage is built (within the next few months) we will have a hoist installed for easy removal of the hitch. Even though we haven't personally used the goosebox, I still believe they are a great alternative to the B&W and our dealer sure did like them and claimed to have sold a lot of them. He was who suggested the hitch to us in the first place.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Supreme Oppressor wrote:
No rules on what one uses for a hitch for the fifth wheel trailer .

A fifth wheel trailer uses a fifth wheel hitch. If it is converted to a gooseneck then it is considered a gooseneck trailer. The term "fifth wheel" is refering to the hitch type, not what the rest of the trailer looks like. Big truck trailers could be flat bed, box car, tanker,etc... but all are considered fifth wheel.

He's referring to the BACK of the 5th wheel trailer for the connection to the second trailer.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
I've never heard someone giving up a B&W companion for any reason none, zip nada. Lets see here, a 5th wheel hitch is pretty simple to back into, straight shot first time every time. Now you bring a ball into the equation not to mention chains which 5er's don't need.
Sounds like your retired and have plenty of time my freind. Believe me my GN is never a back under 1st try ever ( can't see it) . Same with the boat although it has a wheel to cheat or move around at bit.
IMO your trailer emergency brake switch is much safer and eaiser than safety chains.

x2. The simplicity is intriguing but the execution isn't.

Supreme_Oppress
Explorer
Explorer
No rules on what one uses for a hitch for the fifth wheel trailer .

A fifth wheel trailer uses a fifth wheel hitch. If it is converted to a gooseneck then it is considered a gooseneck trailer. The term "fifth wheel" is refering to the hitch type, not what the rest of the trailer looks like. Big truck trailers could be flat bed, box car, tanker,etc... but all are considered fifth wheel.
2006 F350 6.0 diesel cc lb srw
2004 Jayco Jayflight 30.5BHS