cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese Revolution Hitch

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at some fifth wheel trailers(again) and found one that had a Reese Revolution Hitch on the pin. According to the salesman that hitch will allow you to make a 90 degree turn in a short bed truck with hitting the cab and no slider hitch is required.

Anyone use or know anything about the Reese Revolution Hitch?

Thanks,
Craig
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab
25 REPLIES 25

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Calicajun wrote:
Bolts can come loose on any type of hitch. I always checked my TT hitch every time we went out and checked it while at rest stops too. Also check, tires, safety chains and electrical hook ups. Just trying to stay safe on the road.

Torqued bolts on sidewinder turret are NOT suppose to come lose!

No one checks pin box bolts, hitch mounting bolts, receiver mounting bolts, U-bolts etc ----they are torqued and should not come loose from use.

That is the issue with the turret bolts .....coming loose from use
Turret bolts hold/secure the WHOLE sidewinder assembly and are difficult to access.

This not like checking wheel nuts, tires, etc.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Bolts can come loose on any type of hitch. I always checked my TT hitch every time we went out and checked it while at rest stops too. Also check, tires, safety chains and electrical hook ups. Just trying to stay safe on the road.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
One issue I have read about is the 4 bolts in turret coming loose

This was on the Sidewinder not Revolution

Revolution is OEM and Sidewinder is aftermarket
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Lots to think about both pro and con in this thread. Will add all of this to list of pro and cons on our 5th wheel list. Just spent three days at the LA RV show. That has given us a lot to think about also.

jmvx2
Explorer
Explorer
Started out with a manual slider that dealer through in the deal when purchasing 5th wheel to tow with Ram 2500 SB. Didn't like the hassle of manual moving the hitch. Found a deal for 1/2 price on Airborne Sidewinder. Biggest mistake I made. The wedge would not hold tight and would pound out from being too thin in material thickness.. I made my own wedge out of much thicker material and used larger bolts to hold in place after adjusting the wedge tightness. Still towing it was like the tail wagging the dog with the pivot moved back 20 inches, especially in the tight curves through the mountains..
Finally went to a 15k Pullrite auto slider and it is the best move I did.

My trailer is a Jazz 3300, 36" long, triple slide, 12,000+/- lbs. depending on how loaded.
17 Ram 3500 DRW, CC, Long Bed, Larimine, 4x4, 6.7 HO 900 ft lb, Aisin auto, 4.10 gears, B&W 25k lb.,Companion
2018 Grand Design Solitude 360 RL-R 40', 5 slide, 6pt Hyd auto level, King bed, TrailAir pin box.
"Don't bad mouth farmers with a full mouth!"

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Never felt sway with ours when we had ours hook to the Ram 3500,but i did have a little with the Ram 1500.I just figured it was a overloaded truck.I was 500 pounds heavy on the 1500. It was just fine with the 3500. Now with the bigger 5er,no Revelution, it's just fine.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

PhoneDude_8289
Explorer
Explorer
Been using the revolution with a custom wedge for three years, never noticed any sway. 2 years pulling with a Tundra, the past year with a Ram.
8289WS
Ram 2500 TCD SB 4WD

ironjdf
Explorer
Explorer
Well I just came back from a trip out west. I had to stop and take the wedge ouy of my reese hitch and put the 2 locking bolts back to stop the sway. I could see the front of the pin hitch where it turns at, under the camper moveing back and forth about a half inch each way. That movement could be felt right thru the truck and start a sway in the camper. I have a 2014 Rockwood 8280 5r. Anybody else ever have that happen?

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
I've finished my 4th season with the Revolution pin box...and I haven't ever felt it had a sway problem...even when towing across our Nevada open desert areas.

One thing to keep in mind for future situations is that the Revolution is a factory only installation, and can not be upgraded with any other brand due to its 10" base vs. the normal 11" base that is standard on other pin boxes. Been through that situation when a repair shop ruined my original Revolution pin box and Reese hitch. The Sidewinder is the unit that fits a standard fifth wheel base and can be used to upgrade an original factory pin box in order to reap the benefits of this unique design.

Just my 2cents....

Happy trails,
Larry
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"

harry_and_thea
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I forgot to mention in the pros
Fiver tracks better and is more responsive when backing up
Harry and Thea
2016 F 250 cc short box
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS

harry_and_thea
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I am going to be the lone critic of the Revolution hitch. Logic will tell you that you now have a hybrid between a fifth wheel set up and a travel trailer set up, therefore you will compromise some stability in crosswinds.
I bought a Rockwood fifth wheel with Revolution hitch about a year ago. Owned a Chev long box and towed in the locked out position. Very stable. Bought a F250 short box with six ft nine in bed. Used the hitch with the universal wedge provided in the Revolution mode and found that I was much more affected by crosswinds to the point where it really bothered me. My brother who followed me in his motorhome in a heavy cross wind said that he did not notice any sway but I could sure feel it in the steering. Ended up buying a manual slider hitch and it tows much nicer. Going forward I can do a 180 degree turn with my steering wheel as tight as possible and the trailer still does not touch the cab. I have not yet had to pull the lever on the hitch backing up although I know I will have to be vigilant. So for me, I much prefer the slider hitch. One thing to keep in mind however is that the F250 short bed is longer than the Dodge and therefore what may work well for me may not for you.

So I'm going to sum up the pros and cons of the Revolution mode according to my experience

Pros
Can turn your trailer ninety degrees to truck without hitting.
Can use a simple economical light weight hitch in truck
Much better use of truck bed

Cons
There is definitely less stability
It is definitely more difficult to hitch up and sometimes to unhitch
It can be noisy when it turns
It needs to be taken apart, cleaned and greased according to the manual annually. I have done this prior to deciding to go with the slider hitch and lock out mode. Not an easy job and means you have to buy some large sockets or pay a stealer to do this.
Lastly, someone else can't tow your trailer in a pinch unless they lock out the pin box or have an identical hitch on their truck.

Hope this helps. I have experience with the trailer in either node and prefer the slider hitch.
Harry and Thea
2016 F 250 cc short box
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS

LatinoCanadian
Explorer
Explorer
I changed my Cherokee TT for a Rockwood Signature 5er with the Revolution hitch and I really like the way it drives. I did notice though is that it is much better/easier to have the truck aligned with the 5er before unhooking as it will make the hookup much easier the next time.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel ๐Ÿ™‚

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
To me from what I have read here and else where this hitch will be the one for us. Of course we do have to get the 5th wheel first but working on that quest also.

I can't see why or any advantage to having a slider hitch over a Sidewinder hitch. Doesn't add any weight to the pin and allows for a lighter/smaller hitch in the truck bed.

Now back to finding that 5th wheel the wife says I like.

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned home from a 3200+ mile trip with our newly installed Sidewinder. I love it.
magic43