cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removable 5th wheel hitch?

Sande
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 3500 RAM drw shortbed which we currently use with our artic fox 811 camper.
We are thinking about getting a 5th wheel and also keeping the camper for some trips.
Is there a sliding 5th wheel hitch that can easily be taken off the truck in order to slide in the camper?
46 REPLIES 46

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
Sande wrote:
We have a 3500 RAM drw shortbed which we currently use with our artic fox 811 camper.
We are thinking about getting a 5th wheel and also keeping the camper for some trips.
Is there a sliding 5th wheel hitch that can easily be taken off the truck in order to slide in the camper?

A sliding hitch , no not a *chance* unless you have some sort of hoist , or taking it apart . Turnover ball , and the Andersen hitch . Clean bed when removed . Also easily removed by one person .

Depending on the brand, model and *weight* of the slider, you may need "some sort of hoist".

I have a Pullrite SuperGlide - it's heavy! However I *easily* remove it from the bed of my SB pickup with what I like to call the "one finger" lift.
I use a HF electric hoist. One finger to push the up/down button. Lift it out of the bed, lower unto a furniture dolly, roll it into the garage. Obviously, the reverse to place back in the bed.
In -or out- takes all of 5 minutes.

BTW - The HF hoist has also been invaluable for other tasks as well.

~

Sande
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, we will check it and the Anderson hitch out.

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
I'm not aware of any lightweight sliding hitch.

I use a EAZ lift sliding 5th wheel hitch and it works well. Separates into 2 sections to make it easier. I still wouldn’t call it light, it’s about 75 or so pounds, but the 2 price design helps.
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
mwachel wrote:
I'm all about the Andersen hitch. Works wonders in my short bed RAM.

I hear you , same here , Ram short bed , wouldn't tow with anything else . Curious as to what the OP decided . The Andersen is for sure the answer for him, unless he goes with some sort of hoist , or leaves it connected to the king pin ,not something I would do regardless how well it works. I hear some do it , but have never seen one yet hanging off a pin box.

mwachel
Explorer
Explorer
I'm all about the Andersen hitch. Works wonders in my short bed RAM.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
cummins2014 wrote:
Sande wrote:

A sliding hitch , no not a chance unless you have some sort of hoist , or taking it apart . Turnover ball , and the Andersen hitch . Clean bed when removed . Also easily removed by one person .

Just leave it locked onto the pin on the trailer and release the hitch from the bed...then the trailer will lift it off.

Do make sure to lock the hitch so someone doesn't accidentally release and drop it but otherwise, the hitch & pin box can easily handle the loads.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Sande
Explorer
Explorer
Miltvill, you are spot on.
We currently tow the proanglers on a trailer behind our 811 artic fox camper. We love the proangler!
I can't talk the hubby into a toy hauler and I'm resisting going to inflatable kayaks.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
12 foot long kayaks, would only allow 18 inches to be split between ground and bridge. One end or the other will be damaged.
Have seen racks that carry kayaks over cab and hood, might be a better idea.

miltvill
Explorer II
Explorer II
12 feet long and 140 pounds each. Sounds like a Hobie Pro Angler kayak for each kayak to weigh that much. A 5th wheel with a garage would work best.

Or a get a TC and tow the kayaks behind it on a trailer.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Sande
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, lots to think about! We are both almost 70 and not as strong as we used to be.
Maybe a trailer would be better.
Next question - has anyone carried fishing kayaks (12ft long, 140 lbs each) on the back of an RV?

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could the pin be left latched in the hitch, and the landing legs used as a jack to lift hitch out?

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not aware of any lightweight sliding hitch.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
My BW came off but left the rails. I just used some 2x4”s then a 4’ plywood and put my camper on top. Never had any problems.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Sande wrote:

A sliding hitch , no not a chance unless you have some sort of hoist , or taking it apart . Turnover ball , and the Andersen hitch . Clean bed when removed . Also easily removed by one person .

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
What year is the Ram 3500?
Post 2013 you can get the parts to install the factory 5er hitch prep.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"