cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing solid steps with folding steps

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Has anyone done this? I can't find any threads on rv.net about this. I was given a brand new set of Glowstep Revolution steps to install on my older FW, but would gladly take them with me if they'll fit my next FW. Personally, the ONLY good thing about the stupid solid steps is the stability, and the Revolution, among other folding steps, can give you the same without the cons of the stupid solid steps.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member
29 REPLIES 29

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
schlep1967 wrote:
laknox wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. My '17 KZ has old-style folding steps and I was gifted a set of the Glowstep Revolutions to replace them. We're thinking of upgrading FWs in the next 1-2 years, and I was wondering if anyone has swapped the stupid solid steps out for the old-style folding steps. That's one of my biggest pet peeves about the newer RVs and, IMO, it was totally unresearched by manufacturers to see if =actual RVers= would find them desirable. Again, IMO, LCI and MorRyde started literally giving these things to the manufacturers to promote them in the first couple of years, hence the explosive widespread use of them by all manufacturers. Now, if they'd make them OPTIONAL, I think you'd see how few people really like them.

Lyle

Almost all newer fifth-wheels have the steps that lift up into the door for storage. If the set of glowsteps you have is made for under door storage, they will not be compatible with most newer trailers.

Which I totally understand and asked my original question. Has anyone ever removed the stupid solid steps and replaced them with old-school folding steps? This would mean fabbing a frame, cutting the skirt, etc.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
schlep1967 wrote:

Almost all newer fifth-wheels have the steps that lift up into the door for storage. If the set of glowsteps you have is made for under door storage, they will not be compatible with most newer trailers.

not seeing them very much on new trailers or 5ths up here. maybe 10%. I think there used as a dealer upsell for people they know will be snowbirding, but few come from the factory with them from what I have seen in the last two years.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
My 2020 Pinnacle came with the Mor-Ryde steps. I park it in a garage behind our house and the distance between the garage wall and the door side of the Pinnacle was not enough to let me bring the steps down. I took them out and replaced them with a set of Torklift Uprising telescoping steps which solved my problem. While doing this I found the frame still had the cut out for the old style steps hid behind the sheet metal skirting. I thought about cutting it out and installing conventional steps but was afraid it would hurt the value. With some trim and proper cutting tools it could probably be made to look like it came that way. Later models may have eliminated the space for the old style steps, don't know.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
We love ours would not have a set of solid steps

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the fold-down steps on my 2008 trailer with Glowsteps that I bought used. I first ensured they were the same width. 2 bolts with nuts on each side, unbolt one set, install the other; real easy. Storing and deploying them took a few minutes of learning, but quite intuitive now. I did install some grip tape as I felt the Glowsteps might be slippery when wet. Good add.

I believe Torquelift makes a bracket so the steps can be folded into the doorway should your next trailer not have a nacelle under the door.

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
I switched them out when i had the 2018 Northpoint. It was pretty easy. I did have to modify trim on interior of door.

You need the correct measurements for the steps to work properly. They do make different sizes. It depends on ground to floor measurement wether you need 3 or 4 steps.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. My '17 KZ has old-style folding steps and I was gifted a set of the Glowstep Revolutions to replace them. We're thinking of upgrading FWs in the next 1-2 years, and I was wondering if anyone has swapped the stupid solid steps out for the old-style folding steps. That's one of my biggest pet peeves about the newer RVs and, IMO, it was totally unresearched by manufacturers to see if =actual RVers= would find them desirable. Again, IMO, LCI and MorRyde started literally giving these things to the manufacturers to promote them in the first couple of years, hence the explosive widespread use of them by all manufacturers. Now, if they'd make them OPTIONAL, I think you'd see how few people really like them.

Lyle

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

laknox
Nomad
Nomad

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
deltabravo wrote:
Lantley wrote:
But they do make a set to replace uprising solid steps.

You've got two products mixed in that sentence. "Uprising" steps are a version of the Glow Steps from Torklift. Torklift Steps

Solid steps are a different brand.

My comments are not brand specific.
Uprising steps to refer to steps that rise up into trailer for storage vs. folding steps that fold down beneath trailer for storage.
Glowsteps by Torxlift are available in both configurations.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
But they do make a set to replace uprising solid steps.

You've got two products mixed in that sentence. "Uprising" steps are a version of the Glow Steps from Torklift. Torklift Steps

Solid steps are a different brand.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure which Glow Steps you have. But they do make a set to replace uprising solid steps. You need to make sure you have the correct type for your application
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a slot for fold outs?
I have a 2 door TT and love my solid steps. If I had a 1 door 5er then now way would I go SS.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Can't get my solid steps open in storage. Thanks for the question.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've no experience with the solid steps, but if that is what you have, you likely don't have a frame attached cage to attach the folding steps to? I'm thinking you may also need to trim panel under the door for fitment.

I would not want the solid steps either.

Jerry

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
The torklifts are stable if the feet are adjusted properly. Unlike the other folding steps, these don't dump trash into the interior when folded.