cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Restricted propane Flow

TubaPete
Explorer
Explorer
I am having trouble with the flow from the right hand side propane tank in my fifth wheel. (This is when the left tank is empty.)Everything will work off of the right tank except the furnace. When the furnace comes on the system shuts down as if the tank were empty. I can shut down the furnace, wait for system pressure to build up and everything will work, except the furnace.

The system has a small red regulator on the right tank side and I know the tank pigtails have some type of leak restriction built in. So my question is what is the likely culprit, the pigtail of the little regulator?

Obviously I have no idea why the system has the little red extra regulator.
Tuba Pete
17 REPLIES 17

TubaPete
Explorer
Explorer
Just so everyone knows, I found the problem.

By switching leads into the cross over regulator, I figured the problem was somewhere in the feed from the right tank. After "throwing some parts at the problem," I found the crossover pipe has a small adapter / check valve leading into the main regulator. It was partially blocked.

Everything works now. Thanks for the help.
Tuba Pete

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
Just FYI
The red regulators in these systems is there to keep the vapor from re-liquefying in the longer hose. Its a safety issue but a real PIA.
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT

kirbybear
Explorer
Explorer
Just had the same problem. The pig tail from the right tank orifice was about 1/64" in diameter. The left side was about 3/16". Drilled out the orifice to same size as left tank.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
This is why I prefer trailers with the tanks on the same side. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

That does seem like a better set up...I also like a set up where they set on a platform and you can slide out unit, makes it much easier to get out to refill and easier to put back in place.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
This is why I prefer trailers with the tanks on the same side. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
I also took the red regulator off, but I replaced the crossover rubber hose with hard pipe. The red regulator is there to protect the rubber hose that is running to the other side of the camper. I had 2 of the red regulators fail. They both started leaking.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

timflood
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I took my red regulator of and put in the trash. I went 6 years without one.I had 2 of them go bad on me. The second time it went bad I made the mistake of running out of propane. That's what I did, I am not telling you to do that, just what I did
Tim & Brenda
2014 27-5L Arctic Fox
2018 King Ranch F350, 8 Ft Bed, 4x4
Stockton, Ca.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly, everything I covered in my first post...forgive me if I took your post the wrong way. I really am "at ease" though:)
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
That's why one needs to try different set ups........otherwise you just start throwing parts at it

I'm not disagreeing with you, you and I are in agreement, nor did I "just throw parts at it"...I did as I stated in the first response to the OP's question in this thread , I checked tanks and hosing first, swapped tanks around etc...when nothing worked, I next replaced the red regulator...when that didn't work, I replaced the selector switch/regulator...that fixed it.

I took steps, why would you suggest I didn't and that I "just threw parts at it"? That's the way I took your post.

My suggestion was literally identical to your's...

Ease up..........

Wasn't calling you out or anything close to criticizing.

OP needs to go thru steps to eliminate what could be causing issue.
Something none of us via Internet can do for him.
Three things could cause his problem
Red regulator, crossover hose or 2 stage main reg.

Plain and simple..he has to try swapping things around OR throw parts at it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Quinn wrote:
What Old Biscuit said, I;ve had it happen (Red Regulator is most lickly bad)
Bob

Again, as "I" stated in first post...just so happens with mine, though I took the approach that it "had" to be the red regulator, in reality, it was the other regulator/tank selector set up. I think easiest to change first, if it comes to that would be the red regulator...other one was a little harder to work with. It's really an easy trouble shooting process.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
That's why one needs to try different set ups........otherwise you just start throwing parts at it

I'm not disagreeing with you, you and I are in agreement, nor did I "just throw parts at it"...I did as I stated in the first response to the OP's question in this thread , I checked tanks and hosing first, swapped tanks around etc...when nothing worked, I next replaced the red regulator...when that didn't work, I replaced the selector switch/regulator...that fixed it.

I took steps, why would you suggest I didn't and that I "just threw parts at it"? That's the way I took your post.

My suggestion was literally identical to your's...
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Bob_Quinn
Explorer
Explorer
What Old Biscuit said, I;ve had it happen (Red Regulator is most lickly bad)
Bob
Bob & Snookie
Fulltimers
November 2006
2006 F-550 CC Hauler Bed
2012 Mobile Suite 5TH WHEEL

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I was going by my own personal experience with what seems to me to be the exact same problem as the OP's, less than a year ago....I swapped tanks, checked hoses, and then next step, to me was to replace the regulator on the side that wasn't allowing furnace to stay lit. .I then did what Old Biscuit suggested, replaced the "red" regulator...didn't make any difference, in my case, still had the issue, but doesn't mean it won't solve your problem, was just my first "replacement" of components in my trouble shooting steps. But, .furnace wouldn't stay on...Next, and only component that I had not checked was the selector/regulator on the drivers side of my 5er...I replaced the assembly and it immediately resolved my problem..Thus the reason I posted my opinion..Guess it could be wrong, but sounds like identical problem and a possible solution to his problem...it worked for me.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet