cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rig destroyed today!

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Ginnie and I have been on the road since mid June. This morning I developed a sudden fuel leak in my 2013 F350. It ignited before I could get stopped. Ginnie, our doggie and I bailed out of the truck and the cab was quickly engulfed in flames.

The fire spread to our 2014 Grand Design Reflection fifth wheel. The truck, FW, and all of our personal possessions were destroyed. We were able to buy some clothes tonight and we'll drive the 1800 miles to home in a rental car. When I get home, I'll post some pictures.

Tucson Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
151 REPLIES 151

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
TomHaycraft wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
Does any body know how to post photos crim an android? Our laptop was lost.

Hi Jim,

If okay with you, I can likely lift the photo from our other conversation and post here. Will only do so with your permission.

Tom

That would be great! Thanks
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Good god, how terrifying. Thank goodness you and your family made it out OK.

Like the others I hope that your insurance carrier treats you right. You may want to start writing a list of contents and add to it as items enter your mind. Like most of us I'm sure you had a ton of items in both the truck and trailer that are now destroyed and it will be difficult to remember them all.

Please keep us posted and take care.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are both well and the doggies too. I hope insurance will make you whole again. Let us know how they treat you.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
TucsonJim, so glad you and your family are ok. I can't even imagine what it must be like to lose your entire rig and possessions to a fire like that . . . especially while being so far away from home. May your travels home be quick and safe.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Like everyone else, I see myself in that same situation and it scares the be-J out of me. Glads you are all okay.

I think I'll be more diligent about my data backup update to the Cloud -- I would have lost a lot of info in a fire that bad and that quick. (I also have a backup at a bank safety box, but that can be miles away!)

Cooperchino70
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Love (not) huge pictures.

Sorry for the loss OP. Terrible.

It said you were a senior member so I though you could see the big one easier

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
Jim,
Sorry for all your loss. I think everyone else has said what I'm thinking right now....

Agree and glad everyone is safe.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear of the loss of your RV and truck. Glad you and the others made it out OK. I don't have my RV any more, but I know I would be devastated if I lost everything as you did. Keep a positive view of the future, as things could have been much worse.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Jim,
Sorry for all your loss. I think everyone else has said what I'm thinking right now....
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

drisean
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my goodness! Glad you all came out unharmed.

2013... there was a major recall for Ford. Related?

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/03/autos/ford-recall/index.html

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
That's really scary....glad that you had sense to get out, and NOT try to save anything from the trailer.

Glad all 3 of you are OK.

As folks have said, keep us posted...that could have been any one of us.

Good Luck,
Mike
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone posting feels your pain, could have been any one of us under the right conditions. Glad you were able to get out and not have any injuries from that fire. Now the fun begins, dealing with the insurance company adjuster, trying to recall what was lost and those questions like, what did you pay for it, how old was it, do you have the receipts? Been there, done that. Best of luck to you.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
At least your ok

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Glad you and the family escaped unharmed. Please keep us updated on the cause of the fire.

X2!! Sorry to hear of your loss. At least nobody got hurt. It will be interesting going forward to see how this catastrophic event unfolds. Please keeps us posted as to the cause. It amazes me that a diesel would go up in flames that quickly, gasoline yeah but diesel??

Dan

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love (not) huge pictures.

Try this:

Sorry for the loss OP. Terrible.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman