cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running A/C on 20 amp circuit

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
Friday afternoon at approximately 4:30 I received a call from a man who lives in an RV 30 miles outside of our town (we own an HVAC business but DO NOT specialize in RV's...only if a simple fix will we even attempt to fix them due to liability issues but we will usually assess them before making that call if requested). I explained to the man our OT rates and he agreed. He told me on the phone that his unit wouldn't come on and he thought it was out of freon. My tech gets out there and finds the breaker tripped. The guy is walking around with a bottle of whiskey and drinking it the entire time the tech is there. Tech turns breaker on and checks unit. The unit blew all kinds of dust out of the vents. Guy tells tech that he bought fifth wheel from another state and had it delivered to his land by a friend so he can live in it and had never tried a/c till now. Tech tells him unit has not be used in a very long time (if ever). Tech also goes on roof and cleans unit from dirt dobbers. He goes back in to check a/c sub-cooling temp and everything is good. As he was leaving, he decided to check to see what he was plugged into and found only a 20amp circuit. He goes back in and tells the guy that he needs to install at minimum a 30amp circuit if he is going to run the A/C but a 50amp would be better as his fifth wheel is wired 50amp. The guy is slurring his words and doesn't seem to care or believe tech. Tech writes everything up on service ticket invoice, the guy pays and tech leaves. Remember this was on Friday. On Monday afternoon (a holiday) at 4:00 PM the guys calls again but this time screaming and cussing me for a pitiful job my tech did and claiming his unit is tripping the breaker continuously and as all weekend. I have already seen what the tech wrote on the invoice (which customer has a copy of) and know he was advised he needed at least a 30amp circuit to plug into. I asked the guy if he turned on the microwave while the a/c was running and he informed me that was none of my _____ business. I tried to be as professional as possible with this obviously mad but possibly drunk man. I explained that if the a/c was running and he turned on another appliance that it was very possible to trip a breaker if running n 20 amp circuit. He insist it is because he needs freon. I asked if the unit was freezing up? He didn't reply to specific question but continuously cursed and somewhat bullied me on the phone. This morning my tech went back out there, the guy is still drinking straight whiskey btw (carrying his bottle around). Tech checked a/c out and couldn't see a problem with it. Sub-cooling is registering fine and unit does not need freon. He let it run 45 min while he was there and it didn't trip breaker. The guy turned on microwave and BAM, he lost power to fifth wheel. He started cussing tech and told him that he used the microwave all the time before and never had a problem until he turned on a/c so it has to be the a/c. Tech told him "NO, it is your electric service". Now he is mad at electric company and doesn't seem to understand he just needs an electrician to install an larger circuit for him to plug into but he's off my back! How do you get a drunk to understand??? OMG, it has been experience dealing with this man. Sorry, I just needed to vent...
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually
17 REPLIES 17

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think he even has a vehicle, so we are all safe there. It just amazes me how some people are. I hate the fact that telling him it is the electrical service turned him to the electric company vs an electrician but this guy just don't get it.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I certainly respect your business ethics for trying so hard to work with this idiot but I have to agree with WyoTraveler, It's best not to deal with drunks.
Of course idiots are hard to avoid so you pretty much have to deal with them!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
How to deal with drunks. Don't. Your tech should have just drove off when he pulled out the bottle. I guess you are fortunate the guy didn't decide to come to your lot.