cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running load range C and D on toy hauler

1sandiegan
Explorer
Explorer
You guys were a great help with my battery question, now I have a question on tires.

2003 16' Carson Funrunner dual axle.

I had 2 tires in need or replacement, the other 2 were recently replaced. It had 225/75/15 Load Range C.

I bought 2 TowMaster Load Range D's with plans to upgrade the other 2 after winter. I went with the D's due to being the same price and possibly carrying a heavier load in the future.

My plan is mount the D's on the front axle, and the C's on the rear until I can upgrade the C's in a few months. I didn't think about issues with mixing the load ranges until after I mounted the D's on the rims.

Will this be OK for 2 or 3 trips? If so, should I still run the tires at max PSI (50 on the C's and 65 on the D's) on all tires?

Thanks for any help!

(Oh and yes, I need to make sure the rims can handle the D's but I assume they can but will double check.)
8 REPLIES 8

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
1sandiegan wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
I have run LR E on two trailers without problems, and would recommend them. I don't worry about the rims.

Did you run the LR E with a different Load Range? I'm concerned about running C and D load ranger together (C's on rear axel, D's on front) until I ugrade all to D's. Thanks!

All 4 working tires are LR E. My spare is LR D because I didn't replace it with an E.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

1sandiegan
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
1sandiegan wrote:
I also tried finding the max PSI of the wheels, which are Carlisle wheels. The website states:

What is the maximum psi limitation for your trailer wheels?
Max air capacities are typically a function of the tire, not the wheel. Unlike tires, the load rating of a wheel is not generally dependent on the operating pressure. The wheels themselves are manufactured and tested to a load rating (without consideration of pressure) and can safely support that load. As long as the load is within the limits of our wheel's load rating in pounds, our product will perform as expected.

Carlisle makes 15" trailer wheels with a;
...1870 lb capacity
...2150 lb capacity
...2540 lb capacity
...2830 lb capacity

Same with a 15" load d tire at 2540 lb capacity. You will have to use a 15" wheel with a 2540 lb capacity rating if you want the benefit of the higher load D tire.

Carlisle has a 15" 6 lug wheel rated at 2830 lbs. If your trailer has 6 lug hubs and a 2830 lb rated wheel your good to go with a load E tire at 80 psi.

However with a 16' trailer and a 7000 GVWR the OEM 225/75-15 load C tire has 8600 lbs of capacity for a whoppin' 25 percent reserve capacity.
Trailers unlike a truck/van/suv can have too much tire. ST tires need to be ran at max pressures...and if your using Carlisle its part of their new tire warranty. There is no benefit of a load D or E on that size trailer.

The biggest downside of mixing different load ranges on a trailer is braking....especially on wet pavement. Just take it easy on rain slick roads.
Different pressures (50 psi vs 65 psi) and different tread patterns and different tire diameters and different tread widths/etc can change a tire contact patch or traction. Just be aware especially during hard braking events.

Great info, thank you! So I guess the PSI doesn't really matter as far as if the rim can handle the tire, just if the wheel can handle the same or higher load amount the tire can, I probably have a tire rated higher than the wheel.

It seems like running the C and D together isnt a recipe for disaster, but certainly not the ideal set up and should switch out the other two as soon as I can. I certainly didn't plan on maxing out what the tires could handle, I just didn't see any negative on 'upgrading' to LRD if it was the same price.

I currently only carry a load 3 dirt bikes max in the trailer, but am looking into a Suzuki Samurai and will need to see if the trailer can handle it (without the dirt bikes), I know it will fit, just barely but don't want to go over the weight rating.

So I guess it seems OK to go ahead with the LRD tires, as long as I don't pull a load over the weight limit of whatever has the lowest rating, whether that be the tires, wheels, it trailer itself. Hope I got that right.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
1sandiegan wrote:
I also tried finding the max PSI of the wheels, which are Carlisle wheels. The website states:

Max air capacities are typically a function of the tire, not the wheel. Unlike tires, the load rating of a wheel is not generally dependent on the operating pressure. The wheels themselves are manufactured and tested to a load rating (without consideration of pressure) and can safely support that load. As long as the load is within the limits of our wheel's load rating in pounds, our product will perform as expected.

Carlisle makes 15" trailer wheels with a;
...1870 lb capacity
...2150 lb capacity
...2540 lb capacity
...2830 lb capacity

Same with a 15" load d tire at 2540 lb capacity. You will have to use a 15" wheel with a 2540 lb capacity rating if you want the benefit of the higher load D tire.

Carlisle has a 15" 6 lug wheel rated at 2830 lbs. If your trailer has 6 lug hubs and a 2830 lb rated wheel your good to go with a load E tire at 80 psi.

However with a 16' trailer and a 7000 GVWR the OEM 225/75-15 load C tire has 8600 lbs of capacity for a whoppin' 25 percent reserve capacity.
Trailers unlike a truck/van/suv can have too much tire. ST tires need to be ran at max pressures...and if your using Carlisle its part of their new tire warranty. There is no benefit of a load D or E on that size trailer.

The biggest downside of mixing different load ranges on a trailer is braking....especially on wet pavement. Just take it easy on rain slick roads.
Different pressures (50 psi vs 65 psi) and different tread patterns and different tire diameters and different tread widths/etc can change a tire contact patch or traction. Just be aware especially during hard braking events.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

1sandiegan
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
I have run LR E on two trailers without problems, and would recommend them. I don't worry about the rims.

Did you run the LR E with a different Load Range? I'm concerned about running C and D load ranger together (C's on rear axel, D's on front) until I ugrade all to D's. Thanks!

1sandiegan
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
while your doing this tire work ,, change the rubber stems to metal.

Yup, already did that - got new metal stems on. So it seems OK to run the C and D load range together? Just want to make sure.

Thanks!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
while your doing this tire work ,, change the rubber stems to metal.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

1sandiegan
Explorer
Explorer