cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV lot layouts + floor plans

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
We were considering a rear kitchen 5er that had the dining on the wall opposite the entry door. There were several compromises, but thought that it might be liveable. However, as I got to thinking....these questions came to mind...

1. How much room is there on that side in parks with tight spaces? If there are a row of trees or bushes on that side, the slide could be jammed up to them?

2. I would imagine that I would be looking at our neighbor's campsite with dining on that side?

We have never RV'ed, so not familiar with RV lot layouts. Would love to hear from you experienced folks!
52 REPLIES 52

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Enough for overnight sleeping. Some allow 12 hours.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
janegowest wrote:
SabreCanuck wrote:
janegowest wrote:
I was under the impression that you can't open the slides to sleep in at a Walmart parking lot or at a rest area.

Yes, you can... But you probably CAN'T overnight at an Rest Area without getting yelled at or a ticket.

There are some states that do allow it:

http://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/rest-stops.html

Most states have time limits on rest area stays, Likely in the 6 to 8 hour range.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:
janegowest wrote:
I was under the impression that you can't open the slides to sleep in at a Walmart parking lot or at a rest area.

Yes, you can... But you probably CAN'T overnight at an Rest Area without getting yelled at or a ticket.

There are some states that do allow it:

http://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/rest-stops.html

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Jane,

What is is! RV CG's vary so much that there is no way to answer your question reasonably or meaningfully as CG's and a person's perceptions vary all over the map and from state to state and region to region! Who says another RV will even be parked next to you? Some RV sites or CG's are all at an angle so it doesn't matter even if there's another one parked next to you. Some RV sites are big to huge and some are like car parking lots. YOU choose the RV CG you want to be in and which site you'll be willing to stay on or as you notice, the RV has wheels and they can turn taking you to another CG selection. I don't know your age but if old enough, an adult only (55+) may fit you best. You stated that you do not have children so are lots of kids around and being noisy/yelling or having a play area near your site or a full playground close bother you?

Not wise to sign an agreement to stay for a month or more until you know if you like the place, the location, is there highway or train noise, uncontrolled kids running around all hours, your site comfort, AND your neighbors. You are only renting a space for a time period, not buying it! YOU are the only one who makes the decision to stay or go! All doubly important being totally "new" to RV'ing and CG's site living. Living there is or can/will be very different from just overnighting there.

I sure don't know what makes you happy or angry but you do seem to find fault and faults/issues with every RV you have looked at whether new or used. Hint: NONE are perfect or will be made just to the way you want and still be easily towed and have a max of $30K to $35K max cost is so likely a pie in the sky vision. Used is used and they almost always have some factors from being used. Keep dreaming until you really get serious and willing to accept what is possible. Your home is used too and seems it needs an awful lot of fixing up! Per your words!

We are very selective as we know what we want and expect before even entering a CG because there's so many pics and CG layouts on the Internet to do pre-research on before even looking at the CG which pares the list down to only a few. It's learned over time with hands on personal experience. Nobody can make your choices for you, you must!

We have flex-room in terms of price. We can spend a lot more, but was hoping to keep our price down, since this is our first RV.

We may also have to flex on the length. We had wanted to keep the length to 35' and under due to our wanting to stay in National Parks, but that "want" may have to change, too.

However, as I have been viewing "rear kitchen fifth wheels" in Google "images," I have come across quite a few!! What a great way to search for the different makes/models out there! I HAVE found a few that fit our original critera of under 35' and in the 35k price range.

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
janegowest wrote:

2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Please point me to a RK or RE that has a good TV viewing angle! I will stay looking to a new RL trailer. Chris

Our 35 ft alpenlite RK has the best view to the tv because of our furniture changes. Of course it is now a 2 person living arrangement.

chevman

Exactly! If the TV was not in front of seating, I was planning to move the recliners to sit in front of the TV for the rare times that we want to watch a movie.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Please point me to a RK or RE that has a good TV viewing angle! I will stay looking to a new RL trailer. Chris

Arctic Fox 27-5L
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

Our 35 ft alpenlite RK has the best view to the tv because of our furniture changes. Of course it is now a 2 person living arrangement.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Typical day in the life at our RV: walk dog, go golfing, walk dog, bike ride/hike, dinner/drinks, bed. Next day replace golf with kayak. Some days I don't even know we have neighbors except for those pesky kids. The neighbors think my dog is pesky. The point is that it is what it is.

Question regarding using couch/bed with slide in is tough to answer due to too many variables. Probably no issue with either as all of the slides sit on the floor when in. But........Why? takes 30 seconds to put slide out so just do that and enjoy.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

They are rare, but I have seen a few...RK with straight on TV angle and sectionals and RE with sectionals.

I know...we thought about that sort of thing...but, we rarely watch TV. We mostly cook and work on the computer more than anything when we are indoors.

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
As others have said, there is so much variable, that the most important thing is the interior layout of what you pick and if it will work for you. As for where you park and if the slides will fit, it changes.

Consider instead your lifestyle. Do you need access to your kitchen en route, at rest stops to cook? We do, so that was a must for us. We have a mid kitchen and with the slides in I can get to all appliances and the sink. One of my pantry cupboards is blocked by a slide, so I make sure that all my coffee making supplies, some water bottles, and foods are in an accessible pantry.

What about access to your shower, toilet, and bed? Will the slides in hinder it or does it matter to you?

In glancing over the other replies, maybe it would be best to visit fifth wheels, a lot, at dealerships. Ask them to bring in the slide, take a look at what you can access. What if you are en route and stop for groceries, can you put them all away easily?

Spend a lot of time looking before you decide.

Perhaps you are apprehensive on the commitment? If so, wait on your decision. Let some weeks or months pass. Time has a way of making you realize what's important.

We too, have never been in a situation where our slides were blocked at a camping site. We've had 4 TT's before our FW and three had slides.
Good luck in your decision.

Thank you very much!! Your reply was very helpful!! Yes, time HAS changed things and I am sure will continue to change...

Six months ago, I could not part with much of anything in this house. Now, I am wanting to get rid of everything!!!

But one question...can you sit on a sofa or dinette while it is closed? I read that it will damage the slide mechanism if you do....same would go for the bed, I suppose...to sleep on it with it closed at a Walmart parking lot...

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
We have a rear kitchen with the dining area in the rear corner on the opposite side from the entry door. Big windows on sidewalls and rear, great views. To be honest with you when we are in sites with neighbors close by we rarely notice them. We have mini-blinds on all windows and turn them where we can see out but it's difficult for anyone to see in plus our windows have a dark tint. We don't feel like we are in a fish bowl.

In 20 plus years with this 5th wheel we have never been in a site where the slideouts were blocked.

Thank you! That is a relief to know! This is the kind of feedback that I was looking for!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

dbob62180
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Jane,

What is is! RV CG's vary so much that there is no way to answer your question reasonably or meaningfully as CG's and a person's perceptions vary all over the map and from state to state and region to region! Who says another RV will even be parked next to you? Some RV sites or CG's are all at an angle so it doesn't matter even if there's another one parked next to you. Some RV sites are big to huge and some are like car parking lots. YOU choose the RV CG you want to be in and which site you'll be willing to stay on or as you notice, the RV has wheels and they can turn taking you to another CG selection. I don't know your age but if old enough, an adult only (55+) may fit you best. You stated that you do not have children so are lots of kids around and being noisy/yelling or having a play area near your site or a full playground close bother you?

Not wise to sign an agreement to stay for a month or more until you know if you like the place, the location, is there highway or train noise, uncontrolled kids running around all hours, your site comfort, AND your neighbors. You are only renting a space for a time period, not buying it! YOU are the only one who makes the decision to stay or go! All doubly important being totally "new" to RV'ing and CG's site living. Living there is or can/will be very different from just overnighting there.

I sure don't know what makes you happy or angry but you do seem to find fault and faults/issues with every RV you have looked at whether new or used. Hint: NONE are perfect or will be made just to the way you want and still be easily towed and have a max of $30K to $35K max cost is so likely a pie in the sky vision. Used is used and they almost always have some factors from being used. Keep dreaming until you really get serious and willing to accept what is possible. Your home is used too and seems it needs an awful lot of fixing up! Per your words!

We are very selective as we know what we want and expect before even entering a CG because there's so many pics and CG layouts on the Internet to do pre-research on before even looking at the CG which pares the list down to only a few. It's learned over time with hands on personal experience. Nobody can make your choices for you, you must!

Agreed! If you are looking for the perfect set-up, the perfect camp site you might as well give up now. I am not saying this to be mean but, I have been following your posts for quite some time. We have found this life style requires compromise. There will be not great campsites, rig repairs, bad travel days, etc. but, for us, it is part of the package. IMO, wait until you can do a custom built rig (like New Horizons - pricey but that is what you seem to be looking for) and then look for the nicest RV resorts that have wide spaces with patios and all the amenities. That sounds like what you seek. Good luck on your search!