cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV lot layouts + floor plans

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
We were considering a rear kitchen 5er that had the dining on the wall opposite the entry door. There were several compromises, but thought that it might be liveable. However, as I got to thinking....these questions came to mind...

1. How much room is there on that side in parks with tight spaces? If there are a row of trees or bushes on that side, the slide could be jammed up to them?

2. I would imagine that I would be looking at our neighbor's campsite with dining on that side?

We have never RV'ed, so not familiar with RV lot layouts. Would love to hear from you experienced folks!
52 REPLIES 52

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
SabreCanuck wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
Kinda thought that was it. I consider RE and RL to be the same.

To be honest, I thought RE was Rear Entry, meaning the main entry door is right at the back of the Trailer.

You may very well be right as a general statement.

I have a Heartland product and the model number is 3010RE. Heartand considers this to mean that it has a 'rear entertainment' area. My entry door is in the middle (just before the slide) like most other fivers. If ONLY they would have designated it as a 35xxRE so everyone would know it is 35' long !

*I learned something - I didn't know RL and RE really were different.

LOL. Yeah, no kidding. Our 37' trailer is a 325RL. Seems it's common now for the model#'s to indicate something 5' shorter than the trailer length. :h

didn't mean to say I was right, I was just saying that is what I thought it meant.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:

To be honest, I thought RE was Rear Entry, meaning the main entry door is right at the back of the Trailer.

You may very well be right as a general statement.

I have a Heartland product and the model number is 3010RE. Heartand considers this to mean that it has a 'rear entertainment' area. My entry door is in the middle (just before the slide) like most other fivers. If ONLY they would have designated it as a 35xxRE so everyone would know it is 35' long !

*I learned something - I didn't know RL and RE really were different.

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Many rear entries have the RL after the model number to indicate that it is a rear living plan.

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:

2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
Kinda thought that was it. I consider RE and RL to be the same. Mine has a fireplace across the back with the tv behind it. When the TV is raised it blocks a good chunk of the window. In front of the TV on one side is the sofa/bed and across from it are two recliners. I like the setup. Would an RL be different ?

Yes. The RL plan has the TV directly facing the sofa or recliners and the TV will be either on the driver's side wall, or the door side wall. The RE always has the TV on the back wall of the 5er. If we do buy a RE, we would move the recliners to face the back window.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
janegowest wrote:
We were considering a rear kitchen 5er that had the dining on the wall opposite the entry door. There were several compromises, but thought that it might be liveable. However, as I got to thinking....these questions came to mind...

1. How much room is there on that side in parks with tight spaces? If there are a row of trees or bushes on that side, the slide could be jammed up to them?

2. I would imagine that I would be looking at our neighbor's campsite with dining on that side?

We have never RV'ed, so not familiar with RV lot layouts. Would love to hear from you experienced folks!

Jane, as you plan a trip, look at the CG's web site. Almost all have maps showing the spaces. You can get an idea of how tight you'll be from that. Also, use Google Earth or maps to get a bird's eye view of the places. When making reservations, most CG's will ask you your RV size and how many slides you have. If it's a decent web site, it will restrict you on which sites they have available based on an assumed width with slides on both sides. If all else fails, CALL the CG and ASK! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
daveandviv wrote:
"2. I would imagine that I would be looking at our neighbor's campsite with dining on that side?"

Janegowest,
To answer your original question, we just ordered a new fifth wheel and one of the things that was on our "must have list" was a dining table on the door side of the camper. Sitting at the table and looking out at the neighbors sitting around their campsite is not what I want to do. And closing the blinds on a nice day for privacy doesn't work for us either.

x2 and also if you're in a pull thru you only look at your site.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
janegowest wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
Mine is 35'

The Bighorn series is built on the same line as the Landmark series (Heartland's premier series). They share some options and I think they share some components, but am not sure. Maybe someone who knows for sure could let us know.

Mine stickered at well over $80k. I think I got it for about $52k.

Wow!! You got more than a third off! Did you buy it wholesale, or locally?

I wish they would stop this MSRP stuff and that the manufacturers would set a real price! I do NOT like dickering!!

Same pricing range for our Bighorn too and that was in 2010 for a 2011 model.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda thought that was it. I consider RE and RL to be the same. Mine has a fireplace across the back with the tv behind it. When the TV is raised it blocks a good chunk of the window. In front of the TV on one side is the sofa/bed and across from it are two recliners. I like the setup. Would an RL be different ?

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Rear living.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
RE is rear entertainment. What is RL ?

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
I did go through a few of them, and several other different models and brands. At some point you just realize which one you like best.

Wish I could answer your question about the smell. All you can do is park it and open up all the windows for a week.

I think maybe some dealers have not been affected by internet pricing yet. They still depend on people to shop locally. That's going to change. People are growing up using computers from kindergarten age (Not saying I agree with that entirely). But as these kids grow older and start recreating, they will inevitably use the Net to compare prices more so then a lot of us Boomers do, who maybe came late to the computer party.

What made you choose a RE instead of the RL?

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.generalrv.com/product-keystone-rv/montana-high-country-fifth-wheel

I took another look at this FP and aside from the lack of view out the back window and overlooking the neighbor's campsite, I feel that I don't want to spend my cooking/cleaning time with my head in a corner. I would prefer to be able to face the living area to interact with my DH and guests and watch TV if I wanted to.

I guess it's a process of elimination. If I check off what I DON'T like, what will be left is what I do not object to.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I did go through a few of them, and several other different models and brands. At some point you just realize which one you like best.

Wish I could answer your question about the smell. All you can do is park it and open up all the windows for a week.

I think maybe some dealers have not been affected by internet pricing yet. They still depend on people to shop locally. That's going to change. People are growing up using computers from kindergarten age (Not saying I agree with that entirely). But as these kids grow older and start recreating, they will inevitably use the Net to compare prices more so then a lot of us Boomers do, who maybe came late to the computer party.