cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite TV

rich1955
Explorer
Explorer
my name is rich, and my wife's name is brenda. we just retired, bought a new 2015, excel, winslow, to go south and be snow birds. i am getting ready to instill a satellite dish. i have identified all the coax going to the entertainment center area except two cables that are marked dish 1 and dish 2. i can't find where those cables go. does anybody have any ideas.
11 REPLIES 11

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Dish 1 and Dish 2 are the 2 cables that run from the roof to the tv cabinet. They are there for connecting your roof mounted satellite antenna. Look on your roof and you will see a sticker that says that is where the roof mounted antenna goes. The other ends of those two cables will be under the sticker, at least they were when I installed my Winegard Trav'ler this spring. Dish 1 will attach directly to your receiver for the living room tv. Dish 2 would couple to your bedroom cable if you put a second receiver back there.

I think the sticker will tell you drill an inch and a half hole, which was what I did and they were right there. Also, that area is reinforced to handle the weight of the satellite dish. Let me know if you need more information.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

rich1955
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the great ideas. i checked up on the roof. nothing in plain site. i didn't look under anything. i will start popping covers off. i also looked in the service bay and couldn't see anything. but that doesn't mean they are not there. i also did a continuity check across them, where ever they go, they are together.

TrickyRicky
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP if you find out where the cables are terminated give them a try before running new cables. My experience with our 2008 fifth wheel is the HD Direct signal works fine with all existing cables within the rig.

2008 Newmar Torry Pine
2013 F350 Platinum, Pull Rite Superglide
A Cocker Spaniel "Tucker" a Cavalier King Charles "Lilly
and us Elaine & Rick

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
rich1955 wrote:
my name is rich, and my wife's name is brenda. we just retired, bought a new 2015, excel, winslow, to go south and be snow birds. i am getting ready to instill a satellite dish. i have identified all the coax going to the entertainment center area except two cables that are marked dish 1 and dish 2. i can't find where those cables go. does anybody have any ideas.

I wouldn't mess with it. I would have Directv or Dish come out and install a portable satellite system. They will provide all the eqiment and wireing you will need. However, you will have to provide a portable satellite dish.
A portable satellite system will be easier to set up in an area where there are trees.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
TrickyRicky wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
They should go outside either in the service bay or a plate on the street side. Neither of them will be suitable for satellite service.
If your installing a roof mounted dish like the Winegard Travler you will need to run new coax. If your using a tripod mounted ground antenna you will probably need to run a dedicated coax from a convienent outside location to the TVs location.

Why would the existing coax not be suitable for satellite service?

Typically mfgs use cheap coax with lots of splitters, none of them really suitable for the newest satellite signals to get through without lots of noise.

I would think his Excel would be better than most. Heck my Northwood Fox Mountain is wired up perfectly. I use a Winegard Pathway X2 with Dish and get a great HD picture using the 5er supplied cable/sat jacks.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I would call the RV manufacturer's tech support. Run your questions by them first. That should give you a starting point.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
TrickyRicky wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
They should go outside either in the service bay or a plate on the street side. Neither of them will be suitable for satellite service.
If your installing a roof mounted dish like the Winegard Travler you will need to run new coax. If your using a tripod mounted ground antenna you will probably need to run a dedicated coax from a convienent outside location to the TVs location.

Typically mfgs use cheap coax with lots of splitters, none of them really suitable for the newest satellite signals to get through without lots of noise.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I'd look in the service bay like suggested earlier or the roof. Our MS was wired from the entailment area to the roof with two coaxial cables, under a vent cap from the factory. Both cables were labeled and easily identified. They also wired a cable from the entertainment area to the street side panel where our level-up control and battery cut-off switch are located making it easy to connect to campground cable if the desire/need was there.

We just had the Winguard Travler dish mounted on the roof of our RV last month, works GREAT!! :B

Dan

TrickyRicky
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:

2008 Newmar Torry Pine
and us Elaine & Rick

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II

TrickyRicky
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked on the roof for a small junction box ?

2008 Newmar Torry Pine
and us Elaine & Rick