cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting a 5th wheel hitch for my truck/toy hauler combo

Blk88GT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 F350 Crew Cab Long Box SRW and will be pulling a 2008 Keystone Raptor 3712. I am new to 5th wheel hitches but not new to towing/hauling. My truck has the factory puck system.

I'm looking at the B&W Companion RVK3300, Reese 30142 and Curt 16034.

Are there any other hitches I should be considering or is there a reason to use one of these over the other? They're priced pretty close together, I just want to get the best hitch for the job.

I also don't know anything about "pin boxes" so if there is something I should know before I order a hitch, please feel free to jump in.

Any help would be appreciated!
25 REPLIES 25

dedmiston
ependydad wrote:
If the truck has a gooseneck hitch, I'd consider the Andersen.

If not, the B&W Companion that connects to the pucks.

I don't think you'll find a Toy Hauler with a gooseneck.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
If the truck has a gooseneck hitch, I'd consider the Andersen.

If not, the B&W Companion that connects to the pucks.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I prefer a positive locking hitch, like the Curt brand. The B&W locks only when the handle has a pin in it. Curt hitch locks the jaws, which is backed up by a locking handle.
Not completely accurate, the B&W hitch locks when you back into it and the handle snaps forward, very much like when a semi hooks up to a trailer. At that point you could take off and tow, I know because I have, through an oversight of course. The pin makes sure you don't inadvertently open the handle. Kind of like the door locks in your car: the doors won't open by themselves, but the locks make sure you don't open them by mistake.

I agree with fj12ryder.

I drove for 60 miles (secondary roads) with my B&W without the pin in place. I about crapped my pants when I saw it at a rest stop.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

dedmiston
fj12ryder wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I prefer a positive locking hitch, like the Curt brand. The B&W locks only when the handle has a pin in it. Curt hitch locks the jaws, which is backed up by a locking handle.
Not completely accurate, the B&W hitch locks when you back into it and the handle snaps forward, very much like when a semi hooks up to a trailer. At that point you could take off and tow, I know because I have, through an oversight of course. The pin makes sure you don't inadvertently open the handle. Kind of like the door locks in your car: the doors won't open by themselves, but the locks make sure you don't open them by mistake.

Well said.

And there's no uncertainty whether it's secured or not. You can look right at the closed jaws to see the enclosed kingpin.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Very happy with my Curt hitch.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

brianpearce
Explorer
Explorer
I use an Andersen Ultimate Aluminum hitch attached to the gooseneck ball in the center hole since it is very easy to hitch/unhitch and only weighs 35 or so lbs.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The B&W hitch gets my vote, it's what I have in my truck. Very solid safe hitch, you won't be disappointed.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Companion and it works great for all the reasons MFL listed. Our previous truck was a 2015 DRW 350.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Get the RVK3300, you will be a happy hauler!! Unless there is a reason, you should not need to change the pin box.

Reason...it just works great, easy in/out of truck, easy to hitch/unhitch at any angle, safe to use...jaws around pin, handle closed, lock pin installed, done!

Forgot to mention hitch build quality, powder coat finish, and great customer support!:)

Jerry