Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Camper - Need Advice and Experiences

josten367
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so we are selling our camper and need to know:

1. What do we need to sell it?
2. What type of payment is the safest and how to verify payment?
3. Is it worth selling hitch (B&W) with it?
4. Do you need any other paper work to say that you are selling as is and no Warranties?
5. What about the stuff in it, sell it or give it to them (don't have a lot of pricey toys in camper)?

We plan on getting another camper but don't know yet if we are getting a bumper hitch or 5th wheel. What are your thoughts and concerns?
2012 Palomino Puma Bunkhouse 5th Wheel 295KBH
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Gas with Flowmasters
B&W Companion 5th Wheel
12 REPLIES 12

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
josten367 wrote:
I used Craigslist and got a buyer.

Awesome!
Thumbs up...

josten367
Explorer
Explorer
I used Craigslist and got a buyer. Delivering tonight. Guy gave me a check and told me to make sure it clears and once it does to bring the trailer over and help him Winterize it with him.
I have given them everything that they need to go out camping for the trailer.
Thanks for your help and lots of good advice from everyone. I really do think that going to bank and switching everything over there is the best way.
2012 Palomino Puma Bunkhouse 5th Wheel 295KBH
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Gas with Flowmasters
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Just sold a 14 year old fifth wheel on Craigslist 6 months ago.
Out of all the mostly baloney scam calls received.
...and coddling a few lookylous I was able to pick an older buyer who knew what a good deal was.
Fiver was not beat to death or ever left unmaintained.

Asked $6000.00 (purchased new in 99 for $19000.00)
Cash deal
New battery
Threw in the hitch (bought a new larger one)
Threw in a 2000 watt inverter (no big loss to me)
Threw in a one year old Champion generator (no big loss to me)
Pointed out everything that needed attention for honesty.

Got the asking price.
Signed title and DMV transfer kit the day of sale.
New owner was pleased.

My tips for a sale:
Never show or sell with your items left in the trailer
Clean the wheels and wash thoroughly underneath
Re-caulk if needed
Eliminate any odd odors
Check and wash the roof
Clean and vacuum all compartments-closets-drawers-cabinets
Leave all installed attachments in place
Cover the bed with a brand new bed topper or other appropriate covering
Leave absolutely nothing in the unit that doesn't belong

billyjoeraybob
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
I use cash only or a cashiers check drawn from a local bank in my presence. Both buyer and seller go to a local bank. Buyer gets cashiers check or cash from said bank and transaction is made. Then while still at the bank have the trailers title notarized and given to the buyer. I do this with cars or trailers every time for safety of both buyer and seller.

X2 This is what I did
2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Ashland
2013 Heartland Sundance 3270RES (Traded)
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500HD CC 4x4 DRW Allison/Duramax
2009 Chevy Silverado 3500HD EC 4x4 SRW Allison/Duramax(totaled 1/17/13)
2008 Pilgrim International Cirrus 28CQB(Sold)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I use cash only or a cashiers check drawn from a local bank in my presence. Both buyer and seller go to a local bank. Buyer gets cashiers check or cash from said bank and transaction is made. Then while still at the bank have the trailers title notarized and given to the buyer. I do this with cars or trailers every time for safety of both buyer and seller.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
josten367 wrote:

4. Do you need any other paper work to say that you are selling as is and no Warranties?
5. What about the stuff in it, sell it or give it to them (don't have a lot of pricey toys in camper)?

We plan on getting another camper but don't know yet if we are getting a bumper hitch or 5th wheel. What are your thoughts and concerns?

You only need an ad to sell your FW. Craigslist, local news rag, other on-line listings. You might consider a consignment at a local dealer, too. If you've got the time, and it's legal to do so, park it on a corner somewhere and have an open house! 🙂 If you sell it yourself, sell for cash or wire transfer. Meet at a public place, like your bank. (Lots of video surveillance.) Bank might count the cash for you and, if they're up-to-date, their currency counter will have built-in counterfeit detection. Personally, I might take a cashier's check, but would have my bank verify the funds before delivering title. I would avoid PayPal. It =can= be funded by credit cards and you don't know if that card is bogus, or not. I =know= it can happen, as I've had it happen at work...to the tune of $80,000; lost cash and lost product. You can find any number of blank bills of sale on the Net that you can fill out as you like, with whatever terms you like. Since you're planning on buying another camper at some point, why include all the stuff you've already got, unless =she= decides it's just not what =she= wants. 🙂 I certainly wouldn't include handy stuff like tools, jacks, leveling blocks, etc. Since you're unsure if you'll buy another FW, why not keep the Companion until you actually make that decision? Can always sell if you decide on a TT. If it's a standard Companion, the buyer will still have to have the Turnover Ball base to use it and may not want to go that route. Just my $0.02...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
josten367 wrote:

It should look well maintained, clean and free from any clutter. Lots of pictures on Craigslist will draw buyers in. Then its up to you to sell it; think like a salesman but the rig must sell itself.
I sold my RV and accepted a check after I checked out the buyer. They gave me a business check-no problems. My truck, when I sold it; another matter. Two guys came and liked it but I didn't like their looks so I had them follow me to my bank and made them give cash to the teller before I signed over the pink slip.
I would throw it in with the trailer as a "discount" to the RV. Again, think like a salesman. I went from a TT to a 5th so I threw in the WD hitch since the buyer didn't already have one. I didn't want to hassle putting the hitch on Craigslist separate since there were already several listed.
I did a simple handwritten contract we each signed; no problems.
Most of the stuff you had you will still need. Depending on the buyer, you could offer to throw in items they may not have but yours is in good condition.

We did a lot of research and went from a TT to a 5th. Best decision we ever made! If you do 5th I would highly suggest keeping that BW hitch, best one to use for a 5th.

good luck

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
I have bought and sold both RVs and vehicles and have never had any problems using cashiers checks. You can complete the transaction in a bank of your choice, your bank can verify that the check is good. Check with your DMV regarding vehicle sales requirements. Write your own contract regarding as-is condition, I don't think anybody expects a warranty from a private party and I would avoid selling to someone who expects a used RV to be perfect, they will not be happy. If you are advertising, be honest about condition. Give buyer plenty of time to check it over or have an expert do so and be forthcoming about any issues they should be aware of. Unless the buyer has the required B&W GN setup, I would sell the Companion separately, they sell very quickly on craigslist and usually bring about $400-$600. I would add it to your asking price if they want it. I would include anything required to hook up, sewer hose, TV cable, water hose, electrical, chocks, etc so they are ready to use it. Ask if they want any other stuff.
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I've also heard of phoney Cashiers Checks which used to be as good as gold but not anymore.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
When we sold our truck camper, I took it to a dealer and let them sell it for us.
No hassle with trying to advertise, etc.
A few weeks later the dealer called and said it sold.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
A small down payment and a promise that the next payment is in the mail would't work for me. CASH only. They can finance through their own bank. I just sold a stock trailer. It was worth it for me to pay the fee to a dealer and have them advertise and do the paper work. Sold much quicker and I have cash.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
2. I would only take cash or Paypal payment for the exact amount. A scam that some people will try is to pay you with a check or money order that is for more than the amount you want, then ask for change. They take the change and the check they paid with is worthless. If you must take a cashier's check or money order, don't turn over the camper until you've deposited the item and given five days for it to clear. I'm sure there are other safe ways to get paid, but be very, very leery.
3. I'd send the hitch with the camper if the new owner doesn't have one.
4. Draft a simple contract that you both sign stating what is covered and what is not.
5. Empty it out with the exception of items that the new owner will need such as sewer hose, owners manuals, etc. Basically, if something came with the camper, you should include it with the camper when you sell it.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)