cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Up Tow Vehicle w/hitch, Etc

Al_H
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at buying a 3500 Ram Mega Cab with short box and wondering if this may be problem towing a fifth wheel trailer. Is a special hitch required so the cab does not hit the trailer? Also about how much would it cost to set up the truck with hitch, wiring, etc? I would install myself but what is an approximate cost for hitch and related parts? The truck does not have the goose neck hitch set up option, only the class 4 hitch and wiring.
Thanks!
36 REPLIES 36

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
prd2hnt wrote:

Love this idea. I looked on etrailer and other places, can't find. Can you point me to the part somewhere?

Here you go!🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

prd2hnt
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
garyp4951 wrote:

This gizmo plus an electric HF ceiling hoist make it a 10 minute job.
Thats the gizmo I'm talking about - and got the idea from you garyp4951 - just couldn't find your original post.

My cab is to high to get into the garage - sadly.

Love this idea. I looked on etrailer and other places, can't find. Can you point me to the part somewhere?
Brian & Kathy
Max - 9 year old Springer
'18 Chaparral 30rls
'07 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4 Extended cab, long box
B&W Companion Turnover Ball
'15 Bennington 21SLX

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Two pcs, take it out and replace it by myself no hoist.

Yup, earlier years of hard work pays off! Keeps you stronger longer, healthy and wise!:C

Jerry

True story!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

WaterJosh
Explorer
Explorer
The bolts in front drivers side were indeed the worst by far, I found the procedure here tho and it worked like a charm. https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-general-discussion/1458058-oem-ram-fifth-wheel-prep-kit-diy....Talk about pucker factor tho, drilling those holes in my truck with only 5k miles on it was just a wee bit stressful.

Al_H
Explorer
Explorer
WaterJosh wrote:
Actually, you can do it without lifting the bed at all, thats how I installed our puck kit. You just need to be part contortionist.

A contortionist I'm not but wish I would have consulted with you before I started. I did work in a well equipped shop with impact so that made the difference. I used a bottle jack on top of the leaf spring to lift the box and you could see everything easily. The bolts for the puck on front driver side was the worst, had to use two extensions and go over the top of fuel tank to tighten those two bolts, the others were easy.

WaterJosh
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, you can do it without lifting the bed at all, thats how I installed our puck kit. You just need to be part contortionist.
Al H wrote:
I purchased a mega cab just because it was a used truck and in very nice condition and the price was right. Its a Laramie longhorn and we really like it. It has a 6'-4" box and a little longer wheelbase but the mega cab does not eat up box space, just a little longer frame than the crew cab but slightly shorter than the long box trucks. Maybe earlier model mega cabs had shorter boxes?
Anyway I decided to not use the Anderson ultimate and purchased the Mopar puck kit and installed it as well as the in box wiring kit. Installation was little involved as the box had to be raised to get the pucks in and then cutting four holes but really not that bad. I could do it in half the time if I had to do it again. Cost was $260 for the kit and $80 for the wiring so now I still need a hitch and will be buying one soon. I'm still not sure about a slider yet as the Heartland trailers have the "tight turn technology" and I am only going south and back once a year and then to a summer park so wont be driving it a whole bunch.
Great advice on this forum, thanks everyone!

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, a lot of misinformation here with respect to the bed length. The posters that say the bed is shorter with the Megacab are indeed incorrect; it is 6'4" which is the same length as any shortbox HD Ram.

My fiver has a rounded front cap so I don't need to worry about the trailer contacting the cab in the vast majority of circumstances. If I find I'm in a place where I will need to cut sharp to back in I have the Ram (Curt) manual slider hitch and it takes literally 1 minute to slide it. I try to avoid cutting sharp while backing anyway because it is extremely hard on the running gear of a large, heavy fiver like ours.

We love the Megacab and with ours being DRW is it somewhat rare. I also LOVE the fact that it fits inside our garage! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Yup, earlier years of hard work pays off! Keeps you stronger longer, healthy and wise!:C

Jerry

Al_H
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a mega cab just because it was a used truck and in very nice condition and the price was right. Its a Laramie longhorn and we really like it. It has a 6'-4" box and a little longer wheelbase but the mega cab does not eat up box space, just a little longer frame than the crew cab but slightly shorter than the long box trucks. Maybe earlier model mega cabs had shorter boxes?
Anyway I decided to not use the Anderson ultimate and purchased the Mopar puck kit and installed it as well as the in box wiring kit. Installation was little involved as the box had to be raised to get the pucks in and then cutting four holes but really not that bad. I could do it in half the time if I had to do it again. Cost was $260 for the kit and $80 for the wiring so now I still need a hitch and will be buying one soon. I'm still not sure about a slider yet as the Heartland trailers have the "tight turn technology" and I am only going south and back once a year and then to a summer park so wont be driving it a whole bunch.
Great advice on this forum, thanks everyone!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:

I installed the same hoist, although I still use it, I cured some of the problem with the Andersen 🙂

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Here's my 2 cents:

Why the mega cab? I have the crew cab and there is more room than my kids and dog need back there. The mega cab gives you the ability to recline the back seat and takes away bed length.

I didn't have the factory installed pucks, so I bought them from the dealer and had a custom welding/hitch shop install them - same guy has done this for me twice. He installed the in bed plug. The good news on that is that you don't have to splice any wires - its plug and play. After drilling the hole for it.

I read all the comments of those who say "I have a short bed and have never had to slide". Or - "If you are aware of your surroundings - blah blah". Well, I bought the B&W companion slider from ETrailer.com. Brought the new fifth wheel home and proceed to back up into the driveway on residential street without sliding. Didn't take long to hear the sound of breaking glass. And you can pay attention all you want, but you just can't see the corner of the trailer through the back pillar - unless you have X-Ray vision. Slid the trailer back and was amazed at how much easier it was backing. Went on the shake down trip with plastic over the back window. Sure, there are situations where I don't have to slide but every camp site I've been to has required it - with the exception of the one pull through site, and backing into my driveway - well, lesson learned.

So if you have a big piece of land and don't ever expect to be in a situation where you are backing at a sharp angle, by all means, get the non sliding hitch with your short bed (even shorter with mega cab) pickup.

The auto sliding hitches I researched required that you back up straight into the hitch - not at an angle. If you get the wheel to wheel side steps, you won't need a step stool or to hop on the tire to release the handle for either the jaws or slider. The B&W is a great hitch - compare to the others. Etrailer will drop ship it for free.

Too be fair, the B&W slider is heavy. I have to remove the tail gate and remove it with an engine puller. They make a gizmo that you lock into the jaws. You can then hook to it and lift the whole hitch at once. But I can do that myself. Unless you have a couple of friends at hand.

Good luck.

Please edit this post, Megacab bed is not shorter then the crew cab shortbed , this is totally false, and misleading to the OP, but hopefully they know better or checked. You need to get your facts straight.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:

Thats the gizmo I'm talking about - and got the idea from you garyp4951 - just couldn't find your original post.

My cab is to high to get into the garage - sadly.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
pending your truck and trailer matters in just clearances.
same basic "quad cab" ford ver dodge..chevy?
dodge just tapped the tv in very tight corners, ford has inches to spare, all factors the same just make of truck here.
tow rateing, is dependent on how said truck was specked out at the factory. nothing else after matters for this.except how much is bolted on after. and this will only lower total tow weight. (pin and trailer).
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun