cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shore power not charging battery

hawkpat
Explorer
Explorer
Hooked up to 5o amps and normally battery gauge will show full charge in this state. Today came back to camper and only 1 light was lit. All D.C. lights are very dim. What can be the problem?
15 REPLIES 15

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Check the wires inside the plug at the pole and the camper. Especially the camper one(the female end of your power cord) as the way they hang, they pull on the wires inside the plug and can pull them loose. May need to put wires back into the plug and tighten them. Happened on both of my Sandpipers.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
RustyJC wrote:
Check the battery disconnect switch.

At first I though we had a winner, BUT I do not think his 12V lights would be dim... they would not work.

Depends if the lights are wired on the battery or converter side of the switch. Mine failed with a high resistance open that allowed the lights to illuminate dimly but wouldn't charge the battery (13.7vdc converter output but 12.2vdc at the battery - the hydraulic jacks would barely retract.)

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
RustyJC wrote:

At first I though we had a winner, BUT I do not think his 12V lights would be dim... they would not work.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
You need a meter.
The FIRST thing you need to check is the input from the pole to be sure that BOTH hot leads really are hot and that there is a good ground/neutral.
No input will equal no output.

The fuses and connections mentioned are next and a meter is very handy for checking those things too.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
93STPD wrote:
Just had the same exact issue. Turned out my convertor blew a fuse. I actually replaced the single 12 volt battery with two 6 volts.
If the convertor fan isn't running then it's probably the convertor

Same thing happened to me. My PD9260 has 3 fuses on it, two were blown.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you hear the converter humming? If not then solve the NO 120V problem... could be as simple as a tripped circuit breaker or as Michelle.S posted, it's come unplugged. If it's humming then check fuses and connections. If you are getting 120V in and no 13V out, the converter is bad.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Fxfymn
Explorer
Explorer
How old is the RV? On older rigs the power panel did not use a battery "maintainer" type of charger that all of the modern panels employ. If you cannot hear the cooling fan cycling, and the rig is older you may need to upgrade the panel.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
your converter should have one or two 30-40A catastrophic fuses somewhere on a front panel. That would be where I would start my troubleshooting.

Those would be the 'Reverse Polarity' fuses.
Strictly there to prevent damage to converter electronics IF battery is hooked up backwards.
If battery cables have not been removed.....those fuses should not blow.
Only when cables get reversed.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we had a similar issue, it turned out to be the Converter AC Plug had worked it's way loose in the outlet. Reseated and used cable ties to keep the plug in and no further problems.
Also on some units if the Battery Cutoff switch is activated it will prevent charging the battery.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
your converter should have one or two 30-40A catastrophic fuses somewhere on a front panel. That would be where I would start my troubleshooting.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

93STPD
Explorer
Explorer
Just had the same exact issue. Turned out my convertor blew a fuse. I actually replaced the single 12 volt battery with two 6 volts.
If the convertor fan isn't running then it's probably the convertor

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hooked up to 50A shore power......
Then Converter should be supplying the DC system and recharging battery

Check the 120V AC Circuit Breaker that feds the converter. If tripped no AC to converter -- No DC from converter ___ Battery low cause no recharging being done

Or if converter has power cord.......is it plugged into a 'working' outlet?

Again circuit breaker for outlet tripped or GFCI feeder outlet tripped????

Check converter DC output.......S/B 13.2V minimum for a functioning converter
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
Try these:

1. Clean the battery cables really well and reinstall. Any help?

2. If you have a car battery charger, plug it in and hook it up to the battery of the camper. Any help?

If its number 1, problem solved.
If its number 2, have the battery tested but it could be your inverter has gone bad.

My guess is time to replace inverter. If you're out camping, a battery charger left on the camper battery will work just fine. Just replace the inverter when you get home.

Good advice but you really meant to say Converter not Inverter. Which is what most Fifth Wheels have.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad