cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short Bed Silverado

travelnman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this has been talked about some where on the forum but what problems will I run into with a short bed Silverado Pick Up and a fifth wheel.It seems like there are issues, then what length bed is recommended and could I get away with a short bed. Looking at a 2016 Silverado with a short bed of course love this truck has it all
and even brown paint with brown leather. That's rare these days everything is black on black. Wish I knew more about this tempted to trust a sales person but I have learned a few lessons doing that. Mostly they don't really know themselves.
33 REPLIES 33

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had 2006 Silverado short bed with a superglide auto slider worked great. I now have a 2015 GMC Denali with a B&W companion slider. In 3 years I have never used the slider.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

lazyboy
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a couple short bed 6 1/2' and never had a problem. I had a slider in my first one and maybe used it once. I have a slider in my current GMC short bed and wish I didn't. It's more of a pain than it's worth. You shouldn't have a problem. Just remember what your working with.

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Ypu can tow with a sjort bed. The trade off is,,,,,,
You loose 2 feet of useable cargo space,
You cannot carry a sheet of plywood or sheetrock with the tail gate closed,
You may need or want a much heavier slider hitch, thereby reducing your available cargo capacity,
You likely could not fit the truck with a folding bed cover,
Rarely have I ever seen a 3500 short bed truck. Which indicates to me your interested in a 2500 series truck? Which is fine as long as your looking at a short, light fiver. Once you go over about 12,000 pounds gross your going to want a 3500 series truck.

I have a 3500 Silverado w/ a 6.5ft bed. No issues for me without a slider hitch. My 5er is a 2010 Cardinal, 38'length and 14k lbs loaded for travel. It does have rounded corners on nose which make a world of difference. Also have a Trailair pinbox which extends out past the nose of the 5er. Another great feature to have with a std bed.

tartan_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I have a short-bed GMC Sierra and have a Pullrite Superglide hitch - no problems ever during the 11 years I've been using it.
Backpack to fiver...and everything in between. What a life!
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax, Allison 6-speed
18k Superglide

ZagiFlyer
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing my Jazz with this Silverado 2500 HD "standard bed" (now that they appear to make *really* short beds), since they've been new. I have probably pulled over 50,000 miles to Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, New Mexico, etc. I can tell you that I have never had a problem. I've got a slider hitch, but I can count the number of times I've had to slide it on one hand. Although, with a 6.5' bed I would definitely get the slider because when you do need it, you'd be SOL without it.
  • '23 Ford F350 diesel
  • '24 Arctic Fox 29-5T

----------------

Please

read the FAQ.
-----------------

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
I have never had an issue. One benefit of the shorter bed is that when the tailgate is down and I am hitching the trailer up there is never a concern of the tailgate making contact with the trailer. My buddy has my exact truck with a long bed and he has to stop and shut the tailgate before he completely hitches so the tailgate won't hit his trailer.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

Firelime
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 6.5' bed and when we bought our 5th I was concern about hitting. So I bought a Curt slider hitch. I have never needed to put it in maneuver position. Always have had plenty of room.
2015 Silverado 3500HD Duramax LTZ Z71
2016 Keystone Cougar 337FLS, Trimetric 2030, SC 2030, 340 watts, 4 GC2's, Xantrex Freedom XC 1000 inverter/charger.
Curt Q20 w/R20

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Get real!

I am real. In 2015 we bought a CC SB 3500, the first short box in 41 years. All the in between long box truck were Std Cab models and fit in garages. The long box RAM CC would have not have been a good fit in the garage we had when we bought it. We brought home a young saleman and an extended cab Ford long box to try in a garage in the mid 90's. Front bumper was inches from the wall for the garage door to close.

Moral of the story is like millions of others we have learned to live with short box truck. Snowbirding we see everything regarding TVs, and a great number are RAM 3500, GM 3500 and Ford F350 short box trucks. What one sees on dealers lots can vary a lot by region to region.

Another thing that has changed is that the long box that was considered the standard box has now changed to the short box be called the standard box and the one 1.5' longer is called the "long box"

BTW, I have a B&W manual slider, and use it all the time so the latch handle will clear our front bed box. So I have little worry about cab/window contact.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyp4951 wrote:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29520699/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

Clicky: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29520699/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
I have always had a short bed ford 6'5"bed have been pulling a fifth wheel for over 18 years never had a problem.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I went from an extended cab short box to a crew cab long box. The two best things is a smoother ride and more room to put stuff in the pick up bed. The down side with the longer wheel base is when backing into a tight spot when the roadway isn’t wide.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Been pulling a 14000lb 5er for 4yrs with a 3500 Silverado SRW shortbed. Love it! I have a fold up tonno that rides in front third position when towing. Also have a Superglide hitch (probably more for comfort than necessity, but would do it again). I carry more stuff than I need in the bed and basement. If you want a 5er beyond 16k-17k range you’ll need a duality IMO but less than that an SRW should be fine. I’d recommend skipping 2500 and getting 3500 if buying new. Good luck.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get real!
The difference between a short and long bed is approx 2 feet. That 2 feet allows me to carry air compressor, extra stuff, fishing gear full sheets of plywood all with the tail gate closed and stuff flat on the floor!
With my fold a cover in place and open, I have 2 feet of space under cover. I have approx 150 pounds less weight with no slider hitch. I can take my hitch out in two pieces by my self. Short bed trucks ARE a rarity in 2500 and 3500 configuration. Go look in dealers lots and try to find one! Like I said "YOU MAY NEED OR WANT" I did not say you must have.
The OP is totally free to do what he wants. It is his money afterall. All I was trying to do was give hom things to think about, not get into an argument with you.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Ypu can tow with a sjort bed. The trade off is,,,,,,
You loose 2 feet of useable cargo space,
You cannot carry a sheet of plywood or sheetrock with the tail gate closed,
You may need or want a much heavier slider hitch, thereby reducing your available cargo capacity,
You likely could not fit the truck with a folding bed cover,
Rarely have I ever seen a 3500 short bed truck. Which indicates to me your interested in a 2500 series truck? Which is fine as long as your looking at a short, light fiver. Once you go over about 12,000 pounds gross your going to want a 3500 series truck.

You loose 2 feet of useable cargo space, NOT REALLY?
You cannot carry a sheet of plywood or sheetrock with the tail gate closed, SO
You may need or want a much heavier slider hitch, thereby reducing your available cargo capacity, NOT WITH NEWER 5TH WHEELS
You likely could not fit the truck with a folding bed cover, REALLY?
Rarely have I ever seen a 3500 short bed truck. REALLY? Which indicates to me your interested in a 2500 series truck? REALLY? Which is fine as long as your looking at a short, light fiver. Once you go over about 12,000 pounds gross your going to want a 3500 series truck. TRUE
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Had a short bed Silverado, no problem with it. Had two short bed Dodge's. No problem. Had a slider hitch, only used it once then tore up the tailgate because it slid back to far and the pin box hit the tailgate. I have seen some "short beds" which were really short. Too short. But a normal size short fine should be fine, especially if the fifth-wheel pin box is extended out front of the fiver. I now have a long bed, only thing available in my price range when I bought. Nice, but longggg.