Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short Box + 5'VR = Disaster????

Yamaki
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a little confused. Well, more than normal I should say. 😉

I have a short box truck and am considering a 5'VR purchase but I've seen some disastrous results of this pairing, specifically the the front of the trailer smacking the pickup cab.

I've also read that slider hitches are the way to go but you can't really tow the trailer down the road with the slider set towards the rear. And it appears that you can use the slider with it set towards the rear for short distance maneuvering, such as backing into your parking spot.

Am I wrong in coming to the conclusion that short box trucks and fifth wheels really don't do well together?

Or do they work as long as a slider is installed and used only for backing?

If this is the case, what happens when you have to make a tight turn? Is the cab still at risk?

ughhh...maybe it is easier to consider a standard box truck, eh?
60 REPLIES 60

PilotEd
Explorer
Explorer
"The owners manual for the Super-glide indicates that the tow vehicle and trailer have to be within 16 degrees of parallel to hitch/unhitch. I can imagine many scenarios where that could be a problem for me."

I've hooked many times with more than the 16 degrees of parallel. It takes a little doing, but, still doable. I release the top portion of the hitch so it stays on the king pin, relocate the tow vehicle, manually move the slider to align the hitch, retract the legs, and voila, hitched and ready to go. Granted it takes awhile, but easily done. It sure gives you peace of mind with a Super-glide.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ed & Ev
1999 F250SD PSD 4X4 Lariat Ext Cab S/D Attitude w/juice
2016 Montana HC 305RL
Pullrite 16k SuperGlide

elkyrose
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one more reason to go short bed for me anyway..
Have Cameo rounded nose and still use a PullRite Super Glide.
also have shop with hoist to lift it when not in use
With my Double trailer setup, I'm dead on the CA 60'length with a short bed GMC And no worrys in turning or backing..

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
The owners manual for the Super-glide indicates that the tow vehicle and trailer have to be within 16 degrees of parallel to hitch/unhitch. I can imagine many scenarios where that could be a problem for me.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

sleepyT
Explorer
Explorer
Yamaki
I had the same problem as you. A short bed truck and a fifth wheel. I bought a " PULL-RITE " automatic slider. I did so because I didn't want to even have to think about having to get out of the truck in the case of a tight turn or backing situation to pull a lever on the manual slider. That's my story and I'm sticken with it. :B
ROSIE&TOMMY
2007 GMC 2500HD DURA MAX/ALLISON
2013 CRUISER PATRIOT 305SK

IN GOD WE TRUST
SEMPER FI

DDD_MT
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a Super Glide! Drive, turn, back it up, park, enjoy and read less!!

JohnEM38
Explorer
Explorer
We have a F350 SRW with a Pullrite slider hitch and it works quite well to tow a 35' Montana Mountaineer.
Kristin & John
2012 F-350SD SRW CC SB 6.2 4:30 11,300 GVWR "Brown Sugar"
2021 F-350SD SRW CC SB 7.3 4:30 (on order)
2018 Grand Design Reflection 26RL "Tailwagger"
4400 SuperGlide
doublegstravels.blogspot.com

MartyMoose
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I have been lucky. I have a SB and don't know how to use my manual slider. My 5thW does have shortened corners.
I use my truck as a daily driver and couldn't imagine driving anything longer.

My hitch is attached to my trailer now, but will be installing next weekend for a trip ( locked ).
2014 Heartland 305RW Road Warrior

2012 Ford F250 Lariat

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a SB to haul a fiver for 10 years. We have a Pullrite automatic slider and have never had a problem. Since I have always bought Ford f350 I just moved the hitch from one truck to the other.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

bhall
Explorer
Explorer
Have a slider hitch on my 2015 Chevy 2500 6.5' (Standard box) bed. The 29' 5th wheel has an extended pin box installed as well (how we bought it). Even with the Extended pin, I can't back into our driveway off of our 17' wide road without hitting the window. If I put the slider into maneuver mode, then as I found out, the pin box hits my tailgate. Now it takes me over 5 minutes to back into my driveway with all the adjustments I have to make vs. the 33' travel trailer I had where I just backed in with less issues. I think the cheapest solution to my problem is replacing the extended pin box with a standard one.

Little_Hand
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I were pulling our new 3750fl Montana on our trip out west in October this year in stead of our Lance 861. All was well till we pulled into Walsenburg Co. truck stop and the wife cut a little too short and the back of our Dodge one ton Mega Cab contacted the front right of the Montana POW! out went the passenger side back glass and two small dents in cab. Did not hurt the Montana, only a slight scratch. The cost to fix truck was 2,581.00. Lesson, do not cut too short. There is plenty of room, but a driver not used to a 5r can make a mistake. I have had a slider hitch but much prefer my B&W. Just watch what you do and all will be fine.

diesel_man_03
Explorer
Explorer
we have a short bed ford (2008) super duty and pull a 2010 cruiser 5th wheel with standard B&W hitch and NEVER have come close to hitting the cab.We travel south for the winter so we put a large number of miles on per year.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
I've been towing two different 5er's with two different SB trucks using the same 16k manual slider. Rarely slide the hitch but if in doubt, I do. Takes all of 30 seconds so no big deal. The extra bed room in a LB and never having to slide the hitch is nice but for me, not enough to offset being able to park the SB in most normal parking spots and most of all, it fits in my garage.

X'lnt observations!

And another -

The 30 seconds (to slide the manual):

When it's pouring rain, even 30 seconds is a PITA.

Auto sliders are more pricey - but "chump change" compared to the cost of your 5th......and/or the grief getting truck repaired when you were *absolutely sure* you didn't need to slide = Oops!

Auto slider:
Kinda like a thrermos.....knows when to keep hot things hot, and cold things cold. How do it know??..:@

BTW - never had any problem backing with PR SG slider..;)

~

Depends on your priorities. Auto sliders are heavy brutes an can be a real PITA to remove and install if you have other uses for your truck. That and their expense has never tempted me to buy one.

Wilber -

You bet auto sliders are *HEAVY* !!

The PR SG weighs about 300 lbs.

However.... I lift it with ONE finger!!..:W

HF cable hoist.
Support it on a 2 x 6 between two stationary objects -or a rafter in your garage.
Back truck under, lift it out by pushing the "UP" button (the "one finger lift to raise/lower), drive out and lower onto a furniture dolly. Roll to wherever you like.

It takes me all of 5 minutes total...:C

Cable hoist is handy for other stuff also, as well as the "cherry picker" engine hoist/s (etc.) that other folks use.
I have had one of those long before I ever had a 5th.
It does the job very well also. Roll the hoist to the truck, do the same.
(However - No *one finger* lift - takes a bit longer and req's *one hand* to pump the hydraulic cylinder)..:(

BTW - the HF cable hoist weighs about 25 lbs, and is about the size of a work lunch box.

YMMV - but...
For me, I'll take *any* brand of auto slider over a manual every time.
The "expense": guess you can save a few bucks with Chinese tires too.

Now....did I put hot or cold stuff in that thermos??..:B

~

I use a portable engine hoist so there you go. I wouldn't have one but each to their own.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
I've been towing two different 5er's with two different SB trucks using the same 16k manual slider. Rarely slide the hitch but if in doubt, I do. Takes all of 30 seconds so no big deal. The extra bed room in a LB and never having to slide the hitch is nice but for me, not enough to offset being able to park the SB in most normal parking spots and most of all, it fits in my garage.

X'lnt observations!

And another -

The 30 seconds (to slide the manual):

When it's pouring rain, even 30 seconds is a PITA.

Auto sliders are more pricey - but "chump change" compared to the cost of your 5th......and/or the grief getting truck repaired when you were *absolutely sure* you didn't need to slide = Oops!

Auto slider:
Kinda like a thrermos.....knows when to keep hot things hot, and cold things cold. How do it know??..:@

BTW - never had any problem backing with PR SG slider..;)

~

Depends on your priorities. Auto sliders are heavy brutes an can be a real PITA to remove and install if you have other uses for your truck. That and their expense has never tempted me to buy one.

Wilber -

You bet auto sliders are *HEAVY* !!

The PR SG weighs about 300 lbs.

However.... I lift it with ONE finger!!..:W

HF cable hoist.
Support it on a 2 x 6 between two stationary objects -or a rafter in your garage.
Back truck under, lift it out by pushing the "UP" button (the "one finger lift to raise/lower), drive out and lower onto a furniture dolly. Roll to wherever you like.

It takes me all of 5 minutes total...:C

Cable hoist is handy for other stuff also, as well as the "cherry picker" engine hoist/s (etc.) that other folks use.
I have had one of those long before I ever had a 5th.
It does the job very well also. Roll the hoist to the truck, do the same.
(However - No *one finger* lift - takes a bit longer and req's *one hand* to pump the hydraulic cylinder)..:(

BTW - the HF cable hoist weighs about 25 lbs, and is about the size of a work lunch box.

YMMV - but...
For me, I'll take *any* brand of auto slider over a manual every time.
The "expense": guess you can save a few bucks with Chinese tires too.

Now....did I put hot or cold stuff in that thermos??..:B

~

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
I could never have opened the front cabinet while connected because the auto slider was either too close in a straight line, or the bumper was in the way in a turn.

Depends on truck and 5'er. I have no trouble getting the front storage open while hitched up. Can't if the tail gate is down but I would think thats true no matter what hitch.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)