Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shorter 5th wheels

Squattingdog
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, somewhat new here,

I did try searching without much success before asking here. We're interested in purchasing used. One of the better build quality 5th wheel trailers closer to 25 feet and not sure what brands/models etc., to look at that area available in our area. Naturally we'll look on-line first such as Craigslist. We're planning on a year (or so) trip so it will be full time. Obviously we will shop in person eventually. We're located in the Phoenix Arizona area.

Regards ...
17 REPLIES 17

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Squattingdog wrote:
... didn't see any of those local to me (Phoenix Arizona). We might go for a 30' but nothing longer. I suppose it would be best to check out the 25' in person. Don't believe our truck will be a problem pulling a 30'er. We have a 2005 2WD Ram Crew Cab HD SLT Automatic with a Cummins diesel.

I have the same truck and pull a 31 ft. fifth wheel at 10,000 pounds no problem. I do have a dually though. An exhaust brake would be mandatory as far as I'm concerned.

Ours is a full profile trailer and very comfortable for two plus a fair amount of storage. Like other comments here, I wouldn't want to full time in it, too small. That is personal, we are all different and the size may suit you fine.

There is an old small unit for sale on the road to my house, even has crank up landing gear. By the time you got it fixed up it would cost the same as a nicer newer unit. Good luck with your search.

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2010 Keystone Cougar 26SAB. Nice layout for just the two of us. I wouldn't want anything smaller for full timing. We have had no major issues with it. The "queen" size bed is NOT a real queen size. The wife and I are both short so it doesn't matter to us.

Hanr3
Explorer
Explorer
K-Z 231RK Sportsmen is a short 5er. 25'4" in length. Stand up bedroom and rear kitchen. They consider it a couple coach. Walk through bathroom. Ours came prepped for cable, satellite, solar, 2 #30 propane tanks, optional 50amp for second air, also has a heated and insulated underbelly for early/late season camping, and the list goes on. Basically has all the bells and whistles you find in larger units. The only drawback is I have to use a slider to gain the clearance to drop my tailgate, or buy a 5th wheel tailgate with the pass through.
Weight wise, she is about as light as you can go on a 5th wheel. 5,925 empty with a tongue weight of 860 pounds. 7,000 GWR at 20% is 1,400 pin weight, 1/2 ton towable. https://www.kz-rv.com/products/sportsmen-travel-trailers-and-fifth-wheels/fifth-wheel-231RK.html

wiredgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
We like our 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS. 6500 lbs dry and about 8500 gross and pulls easily with our 96 F250 with 460 cid gas guzzler. The trailer is 27' and has a nice floor plan with rear kitchen. In the past year, we got rid of the carpet and installed vinyl floor and I had a new roof installed by RV-Armor.com - comes with lifetime transferable warranty based on VIN so any future owners will benefit. I got rid of the sleeper couch and put a Lazyboy reclining loverseat in its place (found on CL for cheap) and added a residential queen matress (original mattress was no bueno...), oh yeah, ditched the Aqua Magic bucket and put in a Dometic 320 which is more in line with human anatomy. Last month I bought a Brisk II 15K unit and replaced the 13.5 as we are in TX and triple digits are the norm. The venting was in need of foil duct tape fixing to keep cold air from entering the ceiling void and I plan on tinting the windows next week. We like is cooooold as possible.

Older 5vers tended to be a bit smaller so look that direction and make one yours rather than spend buckets of money on a toy that depreciates faster than you can pay for it!
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith trike

KeyBoardTravele
Explorer
Explorer
Sportsman has a 25 footer and as someone already mentioned Winnebago has the Minnie Winnie which we have the 25RKS, but beware you loose 2/3 your water on the way to your campsite (brings a whole new meaning to dry camping)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
tandk wrote:
We actually just fixed our 2003 Nash 215R (23' long)and put a new roof on it, because there are not any new 5th wheels under 28' any more and we love being to fit anywhere! The model #'s on fifth wheel and standard trailers, may lead you to believe they are shorter but they are not.

When you've got a good thing, fix it and keep it! That's what we're doing. We did a lot of maintainence work on ours last year and next year we'll have to have the roof replaced.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

tandk
Explorer
Explorer
We actually just fixed our 2003 Nash 215R (23' long)and put a new roof on it, because there are not any new 5th wheels under 28' any more and we love being to fit anywhere! The model #'s on fifth wheel and standard trailers, may lead you to believe they are shorter but they are not.
Tim and Kathy, Topa the Wonder Dog
2003 Nash 21 5R
2002 Chevy 2500HD, SB, Duramax diesel, Allison tranny
Twin Honda EU2000i

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Squattingdog wrote:
Thanks ... I have read about them here but I haven't seen a used Arctic Fox in my neck of the woods, and only 9 or so Northwood 5th wheelers are on RVTrader.

If you get serious on an Arctic Fox, you nice about joining the Northwood Owners Forum. It’s at www.nroa2003.com. One person just listed a 2016 27-5L for sale, a very well kept rig. Also has his truck for sale and will sell both or separately. Only down side is it’s on the east coast

The 27-5L is a good floor plan just under 30’. We moved down from a longer rig and are very happy with the change. They don’t stay around long to having time is a good thing.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
We looked for shorter 5'th wheels as well. Have little interest in anything large. At first I looked at 25-26 footers but found very few and the ones we did were poor quality, cramped floorplan etc. We opted for a 29' rear kitchen. In a shorter 5'er the rear kitchen allows for an open living area that does well for an otherwise shorter 5'er.

We really love our Winnebago. Very well built compared with other lite 5'ers. Take a look at what LaMesa in Avondale has. I really don't care for LaMesa in Mesa but the Avondale sales and service have been great. We bought our 5'er in Las Vegas but Avondale service did not push us to the end of the line like some others do.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
We wanted a shorter 5th wheel too. We ended up with a 30 footer because the living/kitchen space in the 25 footers just seemed too cramped. Depending on the exact floor plan some of the 25 footers were better than others, but none really felt good to us.

If you decide to consider buying new, you might try looking at the Winnebago Minnie Plus line. There are three floor plans. The 25RKS comes in at just over 27ft total length (and does have a stand-up bedroom). The 27RLTS (this is the one we have) and the 27REOK both come in at just under 30 ft total length. I would guess you would not find any of these used just yet as it was a new line for the 2018 model year.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your two biggies will be the 4 speed auto and the low load carrying cspacity. Packing carefully and 30 feet should be no problem. I think you will find longer is much better for long term living.

Squattingdog
Explorer
Explorer
... didn't see any of those local to me (Phoenix Arizona). We might go for a 30' but nothing longer. I suppose it would be best to check out the 25' in person. Don't believe our truck will be a problem pulling a 30'er. We have a 2005 2WD Ram Crew Cab HD SLT Automatic with a Cummins diesel.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Komfort, Sunnybrook, Holiday Rambler, and Nash too, in older models are good quality.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thunder RV is rhe closest dealer to the factory, Apache Camping centers in the PNW are both big Northwood dealers. You might check their web sites for used Northwood or Outdoors RV products. Might be worth your drive.
Have you considered a bigger truck and getting a bit larger trailer? 25 feet gets pretty cramped in a hurry. Moving to 30 feet could get you way more closet space, better kitchen, living room etc. At 25 feet you might have a crawl in bed room. At 30 feet you csn get a stand up bed room. Plus there are way more 30 footers.
Just a thought.