cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide-in access vs preferred floorplan

jacqui583
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. I have a question for those who travel and have units with slide-outs. I am currently comparing two floor plans; the first is my preferred floorplan but it has limited access to the living section while the slides are in. There are just the two of us travelling. I can access half the fridge and one kitchen chair and have room to set up a folding chair for seating for two (so enough to put together a quick sandwich or snack), and of course the bathroom and bedroom. Another floorplan that I don't like as much does offer access to everything with the slides in.

I'm thinking that the vast majority of time spent inside the unit it will be set up with the slides out, so I think this will only be an issue when taking a roadside break.

So my question is how much weight do you give to this issue? Do you find it necessary to be able to access the whole trailer? And if so, is it a problem to bump out the slides a little when at a rest stop or is that considered a big no-no?
39 REPLIES 39

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
2012Coleman wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I just don't care what access is like with the slides in. It takes only the press of a button and a few seconds to remedy the situation. As far as etiquette, no one that matters cares if your slide is out.
I've never chimed in on this issue, but agree with Scott. It's just a non issue for me. If your stopping, it's most likely someplace like a rest stop that has bathroom facilities. I'm not going to pull over on the side of the road to use the bathroom. We bring a soft cooler in the truck with ice for drinks, snacks and sandwiches. Besides, I don't want to sit in a hot/cold camper eating a sandwich.

However, if you desire full access, and don't want to put a slide out, then get the floorplan that allows you the access you need with all slides in.

Having access give you lots of options. You can use bathroom at a fuel stop. Or just along an exit ramp. Or most any place.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
I just don't care what access is like with the slides in. It takes only the press of a button and a few seconds to remedy the situation. As far as etiquette, no one that matters cares if your slide is out.
I've never chimed in on this issue, but agree with Scott. It's just a non issue for me. If your stopping, it's most likely someplace like a rest stop that has bathroom facilities. I'm not going to pull over on the side of the road to use the bathroom. We bring a soft cooler in the truck with ice for drinks, snacks and sandwiches. Besides, I don't want to sit in a hot/cold camper eating a sandwich.

However, if you desire full access, and don't want to put a slide out, then get the floorplan that allows you the access you need with all slides in.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody is different. We can't access much when our slides are in except the bathroom and most of the pantry. We do however have access to a outdoor fridge if we wanted to grab something at a rest area. With our travel style it is a non issue as we rarely stop along the way to eat at our camper and if we do need something from the inside its not a big deal to move the kitchen slide out part way to access the fridge. At home in the barn we often simply have the slides open for packing.

In a perfect world it would be nice to access everything with the slides in and have a floor plan we like. Unfortunately a unit like this does not exist. For us it is a non issue and the floor plan is much more important. But say we were retired and on the road a lot more our priorities I'm sure will change.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

IT's not so much about etiquette, But it can be about safety.
In a busy rest area or truck stop. They are places where it is OK to park with slides in but not with slides out.
You may find yourself in a situation that you had not plan to be in, where extending slides is a safety issue.
Slide in access is a real factor that a wise RV'er considers when it is time to buy. Going into slide access blindly would be a mistake.

Im going with Scottg on this one. In a rest area I generally try to pull over so the slide goes over the grass, some rest areas had nobody in them so just slid it open. We are generally weekend campers with 1 long trip a year so I dont base my entire purchase on the chance that maybe once I would not be able to open them up. so far in 15yrs I have not run into that problem.

My advice is get the floorplan you really like - you will figure it out from there

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
We stop often on our travels, having access to everything with the slides in was important to us.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Addy15 wrote:
jacqui583 wrote:
It seems the concensus is access to the bathroom is a must (which all of the ones I've looked at did have) and anything else is a bonus.

I'm going to be the lone dissenter on that one I guess! LOL! In four years of owning either a travel trailer or 5th wheel, we have yet to use the on-board toilet. So access to that portion of the trailer while traveling is not a factor for us... yet. 🙂

Are you saying you have never used the RV toilet while traveling or never used it at all?...Even at the CG?

Never used it at all...

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that the RV should be relatively level to operate the slides so that the motor and mechanism doesn't work too hard. I want nearly total access with slides in so that bathroom breaks and lunch stops are simple. We don't do public restrooms which is a major reason for having an RV. The OP mentioned travel, that is not the same as dragging a trailer to a local campground and parking it for days or weeks.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Addy15 wrote:
jacqui583 wrote:
It seems the concensus is access to the bathroom is a must (which all of the ones I've looked at did have) and anything else is a bonus.

I'm going to be the lone dissenter on that one I guess! LOL! In four years of owning either a travel trailer or 5th wheel, we have yet to use the on-board toilet. So access to that portion of the trailer while traveling is not a factor for us... yet. 🙂

Are you saying you have never used the RV toilet while traveling or never used it at all?...Even at the CG?

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
The access to the bathroom is a must for us also. We just use it to much. We like having access to the stove and fridge, but that is a whole lot less important.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
jacqui583 wrote:

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:

IT's not so much about etiquette, But it can be about safety.
In a busy rest area or truck stop. They are places where it is OK to park with slides in but not with slides out.
You may find yourself in a situation that you had not plan to be in, where extending slides is a safety issue.
Slide in access is a real factor that a wise RV'er considers when it is time to buy. Going into slide access blindly would be a mistake.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
DavinD wrote:
jacqui583 wrote:

I am pleased to see that some do bump out a slide if needed. I didn't know what the "etiquette" on that would be.

Most rest stop spots (when not filled by truck drivers) are wide enough to put out a slide. The diesel engines running to keep their ACs going is way more annoying than your slide being out.

THere are places along the side that are OK . But a typical parking spot is may not be . You need to beware when extending slides in a parking lot. Particularly if there is another parking space next to you.
There is a certain risk factor to extending slides in a bust rest area or truck stop.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Being a newbie when we bought our 5er we chose one that does not have access to the bathroom unless the large slide is out. Not a deal killer for us as we have no intention of selling. The rest stops we pull into have restrooms. We have access to the fridge and cabinets but still have to extend the slides to load the rest of the trailer.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
jacqui583 wrote:

I am pleased to see that some do bump out a slide if needed. I didn't know what the "etiquette" on that would be.

Most rest stop spots (when not filled by truck drivers) are wide enough to put out a slide. The diesel engines running to keep their ACs going is way more annoying than your slide being out.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed