cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide-in access vs preferred floorplan

jacqui583
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. I have a question for those who travel and have units with slide-outs. I am currently comparing two floor plans; the first is my preferred floorplan but it has limited access to the living section while the slides are in. There are just the two of us travelling. I can access half the fridge and one kitchen chair and have room to set up a folding chair for seating for two (so enough to put together a quick sandwich or snack), and of course the bathroom and bedroom. Another floorplan that I don't like as much does offer access to everything with the slides in.

I'm thinking that the vast majority of time spent inside the unit it will be set up with the slides out, so I think this will only be an issue when taking a roadside break.

So my question is how much weight do you give to this issue? Do you find it necessary to be able to access the whole trailer? And if so, is it a problem to bump out the slides a little when at a rest stop or is that considered a big no-no?
39 REPLIES 39

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I vote for slide-in bathroom access as #1 priority. :B I suppose, if you had a remote control for the slides, and didn't have slide-in access, you could carry the remote with you in the truck and start the slide moving out as you're stopping so she could make it more quickly. :B:B:B:B:B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I just don't care what access is like with the slides in. It takes only the press of a button and a few seconds to remedy the situation. As far as etiquette, no one that matters cares if your slide is out.
I've never chimed in on this issue, but agree with Scott. It's just a non issue for me. If your stopping, it's most likely someplace like a rest stop that has bathroom facilities. I'm not going to pull over on the side of the road to use the bathroom. We bring a soft cooler in the truck with ice for drinks, snacks and sandwiches. Besides, I don't want to sit in a hot/cold camper eating a sandwich.

However, if you desire full access, and don't want to put a slide out, then get the floorplan that allows you the access you need with all slides in.

+1 Our style of transporting the trailer as well. If I really wanted or needed to get into the trailer would the 30 seconds required to push a button kill me?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
How does partially opening Scwhintek type slide affect the sync part of the motors? I though those type of slides needed to open full and close fully or they get out of sync. Is that old school thought and the newer ones are immune to that?

On my unit, each slide opens fully before the other side starts. The kitchen side opens before the dinning side opens. I've had no issues only opening one side and then closing.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
Bathroom and bedroom access is the most important! We can get to our fridge, bath, and bedroom and a couple of cabinets which we put things we want to have access to. If we stay at a truck stop we sometimes are able to get a curbside spot and just extend the sides on that side
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
How does partially opening Scwhintek type slide affect the sync part of the motors? I though those type of slides needed to open full and close fully or they get out of sync. Is that old school thought and the newer ones are immune to that?

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

Check the title. This thread is about slides limiting access to your RV. My point is slides are not limiting your access. You are choosing limited usage. Which is fine, nothing at all wrong with using your RV the way you want.. However your choice limited use does not benefit the OP as it does not apply to slides or floorplan
:H

I really can't make sense about the rest of what you said.

No it's not - here is the OP's question:
OP wrote:
So my question is how much weight do you give to this issue? Do you find it necessary to be able to access the whole trailer? And if so, is it a problem to bump out the slides a little when at a rest stop or is that considered a big no-no?

The OP is seeking opinions on how much weight people give to access to kitchen/bathroom over having a floorplan that he really likes that really does not give this access.

My opinion is that I'd go for the floorplan over the access because I seek out public facilities when traveling, and I bring food and snacks in a cooler transported in the truck.

Furthermore, I don't think its a big deal to bump out a slide in a rest area. I see it all the time.

So I'm sure he assumes that I'm saying that I don't give access while traveling much weight for the reasons I stated.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
2012Coleman wrote:
Lantley wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I just don't care what access is like with the slides in. It takes only the press of a button and a few seconds to remedy the situation. As far as etiquette, no one that matters cares if your slide is out.
I've never chimed in on this issue, but agree with Scott. It's just a non issue for me. If your stopping, it's most likely someplace like a rest stop that has bathroom facilities. I'm not going to pull over on the side of the road to use the bathroom. We bring a soft cooler in the truck with ice for drinks, snacks and sandwiches. Besides, I don't want to sit in a hot/cold camper eating a sandwich.

However, if you desire full access, and don't want to put a slide out, then get the floorplan that allows you the access you need with all slides in.

Why make sandwiches and bring a cooler when you are towing a fridge full of food behind you? Why seek/use public facilities when you have your own? My camper has heat or A/C at the push of a button.
Why pay for a fully equipped camper and not use it fully?
Slides in limits the access and use of your RV. However based on your usage you don't need the slides to limit usage you are already limiting your usage without factoring in the slides.
You'd feel better if you stopped trying to impose your lifestyle type onto others. There are lots of alternatives to your why statements - I doubt you can see anyone else's point of view, so it's worthless to mention them. Just because something is not in your particular wheelhouse doesn't mean it's wrong.

Check the title. This thread is about slides limiting access to your RV. My point is slides are not limiting your access. You are choosing limited usage. Which is fine, nothing at all wrong with using your RV the way you want.. However your choice limited use does not benefit the OP as it does not apply to slides or floorplan
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ldwslw
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling we plan on staying at a campground about every other night. The night between we usually stay at a Walmart or Cabelas. We want access to kitchen, bathroom and bedroom without putting slides out. Depends on how you want to travel on longer trips.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
ScottG wrote:

Why make sandwiches and bring a cooler when you are towing a fridge full of food behind you? Why seek/use public facilities when you have your own? My camper has heat or A/C at the push of a button.
Slides in limits the access and use of your RV. However based on your usage you don't need the slides to limit usage you are already limiting your usage without factoring in the slides.
You'd feel better if you stopped trying to impose your lifestyle type onto others. There are lots of alternatives to your why statements - I doubt you can see anyone else's point of view, so it's worthless to mention them. Just because something is not in your particular wheelhouse doesn't mean it's wrong.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Although accessing the fridge with the slides in was a very much appreciated attribute of our previous unit I would not trade the current floor plan for the old one. It's not a huge deal to push a button for 5 seconds before opening the fridge while traveling.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I will say that I love having that outside door to the rear washroom in my unit, super handy for pit stops on the road.

Our layout works well for quick lunch stops too as I don't need to pull any of the slides out to access the fridge or any of the kitchen and we can even use the dinette without the slide going out.

My previous unit needed at least the kitchen slide out and that was a little of a pain but not a deal breaker.

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
2012Coleman wrote:
ScottG wrote:

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
ScottG wrote:

Having access give you lots of options. You can use bathroom at a fuel stop. Or just along an exit ramp. Or most any place.
Yea - I think I figured that out - but as I stated, I don't care about those options. Besides, if I wanted to use the bathroom in transit, Id have to carry fresh water to flush - which is something else I have no interest in doing.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
we have a TT but for what its worth.

1. we have access to bathroom with slides in. most important
2. fridge can be opened with kithen slide partially opened at rest or fuel stops, works for us for quick lunches
3. no bedroom slide so thats not a situation either.