cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide & landing gear quite working

Fiver314
Explorer
Explorer
Morning, new to forum as well as new to 5th wheeling. We bought a 2010 cougar 276rlswe a week and a half ago. Spent a week in mountains camping and had a great experience, no problems till we got back home. I found a remote for security light, the slide and the landing gear only the light function worked. At home left end the trailer hooked to truck to unload trailer and wife asked to bump out slide a little to make fir easier unload. Went out six inches then stopped, would not go further or retract. Read owners manual and I then went to extend landing gear to unhook from truck and level thinking I jammed the slide and landing gear did not work either. So, closed slide by hand crank as well as by hand to unhook and level. Tried the remote and low and behold slide and gear worked through remote. Called dealer service and outside of bring in they suggested to disconnect the battery to reset what they call the computer board. Did this last night and now remote or switches don't work. I reconfigured the remote no luck. I then with meter in hand checked for voltage and found none getting through circuit board (computer board) so I jumpered from + side of battery to relay for both switches and was able to operate both slide and landing gear. Talked to Keystone Service and they said take to dealer for service. I think I fried the circuit board somehow. My question is has anyone out there experience this with their rig and have a solution shy of going to dealer right off. Wanted to use rig this weekend.
6 REPLIES 6

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
I copied the following from the Montana Owners Club forum where this problem has plagued early (2010) remote control systems.

==========================================================

The Landing Gear and Stabilizers only working with the remote control and not with the outside manual switches has been a topic of discussion here lately. When ours stopped working "zman08" directed me to a post that solved our problem. It involved removing the ground for the manual switches from the remote receiver and grounding it to the chassis. Apparently there is a "failsafe" circuit to keep the user from using the remote switches and the manual switches at the same time. The connections on the receiver in the front compartment only effect the landing gear and stabilizer switches. The failsafe will not provide a ground to the manual switches when the remote system is energized and will sometimes get "locked" in that position. That is what happened to ours. Like I said, I just moved the ground from the receiver to the chassis and everything works again. You can replace the receiver module, but I think Lippert wants around $150-$200 for it and it will probably just fail again. Our rig is out of warranty so this was the best economical fix for us. I have included a couple of photos of where the wires are for the manual switches and where I moved the ground to.

Members have subsequently reported they had to move the 12V wire from the control unit to a different source in addition to the ground.

Jack

Manual switch wires "To Manual Switches"

Where the ground was relocated to

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

dogwood36322
Explorer
Explorer
My remote would work but switches would not. I found the remote receiver also is used by the switches in some manner and had fuses for each system. Found that the fuses that fed the switches had blown. Check out this link
http://www.lci1.com/linc-switch-systems.
Jim,
Retired US Army, Still training Army pilots at Ft.Rucker, Al.
2011 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7, B&W turnover hitch/5th wheel.
2014 Heritage Glen 356QBQ
Days Camped 2016----33

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Fiver314 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I jumpered the wiring in order to hitch to truck and will be calling the dealer today to make an appointment to have it troubleshot. I'll let you know what they find. Thanks again.

Please let us know what they find and how you handle it. I have a Cougar as well, many here do, so we might have the same issue some day.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Fiver314
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I jumpered the wiring in order to hitch to truck and will be calling the dealer today to make an appointment to have it troubleshot. I'll let you know what they find. Thanks again.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I think I would start by trying to run down a price and availability on that wireless controller. I've heard rumors that finding a direct replacement could be a problem. Seems like Keystone changed the thing, and the features, a few times.

Once I knew what I was looking at for a replacement, I would then attempt to troubleshoot it by the various functions. Figure out if it was actually the issue.

I guess where I am going with this, is that I find that remote thing to be a PITA, and would not spend much to replace it if it were mine. A few relays and a little wiring, which wouldn't cost more than $30 and a bit of my time.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are having problems with a computer controlled system, there are a lot of relays, etc. You will need a wiring diagram, test steps for the control board (computer),and the equipment to test the system. I would suggest you take it into the dealer. Might be a lot cheaper in the long run rather than trying test procedures that damage control boards, etc.
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch