cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST tires cooked on arrival?

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I was driving down the freeway yesterday when I was passed by a Dodge DW towing a new 5th wheel. I sped up and paced him at over 85 mph. The trailer had a dealer plate on it. I slowed back down to the speed limit and watched as he disappeared over the horizon. The air temperature was 87 degrees. I was just wondering if the new owners of trailers that have had premature ST tire failures might have had this guy as delivery driver. Has anyone else witnessed delivery drivers driving like that?
47 REPLIES 47

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
B.O. Plenty wrote:
They're junk tires to start with. Some of them have been known to blow out even when mounted as a spare. I don't think going that fast should cause that. If he was going 85 and you clocked him at that...you were breaking the law too. Just consider them display and delivery tires and trash them when you buy a new trailer and put some real tires on it. I've never seen anyone going that fast or what appeared to be that fast when delivering a trailer. I see them almost everyday headed west on I-94.

B.O.

If they're nothing more than delivery tires, then the dealers should replace them with new tires as soon as they hit the lot.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bfast54 wrote:
laknox wrote:
DHCamper wrote:
I was driving down the freeway yesterday when I was passed by a Dodge DW towing a new 5th wheel. I sped up and paced him at over 85 mph. The trailer had a dealer plate on it. I slowed back down to the speed limit and watched as he disappeared over the horizon. The air temperature was 87 degrees. I was just wondering if the new owners of trailers that have had premature ST tire failures might have had this guy as delivery driver. Has anyone else witnessed delivery drivers driving like that?

I think I'd've pulled out my phone and shot a minute, or two, of video, and included my speedo, as well as the DL plate, then sent it to the factory. Might try and get a shot of the TV's plate, too.

Lyle

here's a hint from a delivery driver---- the factory doesn't care ---it's not the factory's trailer anymore.:S

if you're really concerned about safety and things like that then you need to get the dealer name (because you said DEALER PLATE --- We use TRANSIT PLATES it was not a trucking company....)

And contact The Dealer.
Have a nice day.

And by the way....my trucks sweet spot isint that fast... but it loves its sweet spot!!!

Crap. The dealer is still only the manufacturer's rep and the hotshot drivers work for the =manufacturers=, not the dealers. Can you imagine the liability the manufacturer would have if a hotshot driver traveling at 80 mph got in a wreck, or tossed a tire and caused a fatal accident? IMO, every unit should leave the factory with a recording GPS unit that's returned back to the factory for analysis and, if it's found that the driver weren't driving satisfactorily, the get fired and/or fined.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
fulltime5er wrote:
As a hauler myself, I will say that I do not exceed 65 when hauling an RV, regardless of the tires that are on it. No money in it otherwise. Fuel is my biggest expense, and I save 5-10% by driving 60-62 instead of even 65 mph.

The speeding drivers(haulers) are most likely new drivers, who have not figured that out yet, and most likely will quit driving because he/she is not making any money.

Sounds like the two guys here buying hay in Eastern Washington for $1000 a ton and selling it in Seattle area for $800 a ton. One guy says, I do not think we are making any money, the other guys says maybe we need a bigger truck! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

fulltime5er
Explorer
Explorer
As a hauler myself, I will say that I do not exceed 65 when hauling an RV, regardless of the tires that are on it. No money in it otherwise. Fuel is my biggest expense, and I save 5-10% by driving 60-62 instead of even 65 mph.

The speeding drivers(haulers) are most likely new drivers, who have not figured that out yet, and most likely will quit driving because he/she is not making any money.
2013 Ford F350 Crew Cab, 4x4 Long bed, DRW, 6.7 Diesel, 3.73,
2014 Cedar Creek 36ckts
B&W Companion hitch (puck type)

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
How does the OP know they were ST tires?

It was an new Sundance 30 or so feet long. They come with 16" ST tires.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
gmw photos wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
....snip.....

Just consider them display and delivery tires and trash them when you buy a new trailer and put some real tires on it.

B.O.

We have a winner !
I would agree with this as well Except when some high end mfg put on quality tires to begin with. I have seen some mfg offer a tire upgrade (rare).

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
msgtord wrote:
I just put four new Carlisle tires on my travel trailer that are speed rated at 87 mph. I keep my speed at 65 mph for better fuel economy, but would be comfortable with 75 if needed. I keep the air pressure at 50 psi. After completing a 3500 mile trip in 2 weeks the tires look good.

A neighbor of mine was a transport driver for many years. He never would speed to save fuel cost. But he did admit to adjusting the brakes to reduce wear on the truck.

So he put his brake controller at max so the new trailer would do all the stopping ??

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
....snip.....

Just consider them display and delivery tires and trash them when you buy a new trailer and put some real tires on it.

B.O.

We have a winner !

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
I just put four new Carlisle tires on my travel trailer that are speed rated at 87 mph. I keep my speed at 65 mph for better fuel economy, but would be comfortable with 75 if needed. I keep the air pressure at 50 psi. After completing a 3500 mile trip in 2 weeks the tires look good.

A neighbor of mine was a transport driver for many years. He never would speed to save fuel cost. But he did admit to adjusting the brakes to reduce wear on the truck.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
They're junk tires to start with. Some of them have been known to blow out even when mounted as a spare. I don't think going that fast should cause that. If he was going 85 and you clocked him at that...you were breaking the law too. Just consider them display and delivery tires and trash them when you buy a new trailer and put some real tires on it. I've never seen anyone going that fast or what appeared to be that fast when delivering a trailer. I see them almost everyday headed west on I-94.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
mich800 wrote:
laknox wrote:
DHCamper wrote:

I think I'd've pulled out my phone and shot a minute, or two, of video, and included my speedo, as well as the DL plate, then sent it to the factory. Might try and get a shot of the TV's plate, too.

Lyle

Did they respond stop texting and driving 🙂

I would rather be next to the speeding RV than someone trying to video and drive. At least the speeder is watching the road.

Ahhhhh - maybe the 'speeder' is texting, chatting on his cell phone, or?? also...:S

If he's got the cajones to drive 85 with all the various LEOs on the road looking for revenue.....why not?

However, most trailer delivery drivers maintain the max allowable speed limit (or slightly above).
(BS for/to the ST failure theory)

Why? - The speeding fine/s will knock the heck out of profit!!..:R

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
3oaks wrote:
RandACampin wrote:
Every one of those drivers I see are moving fast. Yet the tire will be blamed.
True. I believe that is the reason for tire failure for the new owners in many cases. Even if the owner of the new rig takes extra care, those tires are already destined to fail prematurely. 😞

I even had an RV dealer tell me some of the delivery drivers had blowouts coming from the manufacturer to their dealership. :M

So why do people have problems with tires they buy as replacements and have control over experience similar issues?

We have one member here that has stuck it out for many years and many sets of ST tires and has racked up 22 or 23 self documented failures. So if you subtract 4 tires from that number believing the OEM tires were abused on delivery, there are still a lot of failed tires in his history.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
RandACampin wrote:
Every one of those drivers I see are moving fast. Yet the tire will be blamed.
True. I believe that is the reason for tire failure for the new owners in many cases. Even if the owner of the new rig takes extra care, those tires are already destined to fail prematurely. 😞

I even had an RV dealer tell me some of the delivery drivers had blowouts coming from the manufacturer to their dealership. :M

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
My buddy that delivers trailers told me he has yet to pick one up to deliver that the tires were not inflated to 90psi and above cold.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
My buddy that delivers trailers told me he has yet to pick one up to deliver that the tires were not inflated to 90psi and above cold.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds