cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stabilization

chuck100
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of side to side movement in 5'er--considering BAL telescopic jacks--also adding another xchock as only have chock on one side--please advise
27 REPLIES 27

overthehillbill
Explorer
Explorer
SteadtFast and X Chocks. Tripod takes up storage space and is a pain to install.
Bill
'08 Cedar Creek 32TK, 35'9", 13,990#
'01 F-250,Lariat, 7.3L, SC, Auto, LB, JW Towmaster Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP custom tunes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Auto Meter Gauges, Firestone Air Bags. '07 Headlights and Grille, Prodigy P-3.

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the Cross Brace Stabilizers, front and rear, from Winfield Products.
http://winfieldrvproducts.com/Home.html
Simple, no holes to drill, installation.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for SteadyFast. Had it on our last 5er for 5 years then removed and installed on the current Montana. Wouldn't be without it. Also have the X-Chalks for the wheels. With longer 5er (38ft) I experienced some "bounce", installed 7500# scissors jacks in front of the front wheels and camper is rock solid now.
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea
Pooch- JoJo boxer/lab mix
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL Hickory Edition "The Taj Mahaul II"
2004.5 GMC Siera 2500HD SLT CC 4x4,6.6 Duramax/Allison, 3:73 gears, Firestone air bags, Reese 16K slider, TFI 45 gal fuel tank, Rhino Liner

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use X-Chocks. That's all. But I'm thinking most of my movement disappeared with the installation of my Michelin XPS Ribs. Their stiff sidewalls seem to really help take out the shake when parked.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
When someone is walking around inside the 5er it will bounce/wiggle. Rubber tires will bounce, suspension systems are made to bounce. To eliminate the bouncing/wiggling you need to keep the weight from pushing down on the tires and suspension by making sure your stabilizers are tight between the 5er and the ground. Donโ€™t just let them out far enough to touch the ground, turn the crank more to make sure they are tight so they will not allow the 5er to push down on the tires. Use a bipod/tripod under the king pin. Make sure it is tight between the ground and the king pin, donโ€™t just adjust it till it touches, tighten it so the front overhang will not move. Make sure to check the stabilizers and bipod/tripod every couple of days because they will loosen up over time. Doesnโ€™t make sense spending a lot of money on landing jack stabilizers when the landing jacks are stable and donโ€™t bounce up and down. If you have properly adjusted the stabilizers and bipod/tripod then you shouldnโ€™t have any bouncing/wiggling. This has worked for me over the past 15 years.
Chocks are to keep the 5er from rolling forward or backwards. They do not eliminate the weight of the 5er from pushing down and causing the bouncing/wiggling. If you park on a site that has a incline/decline then you probably want to use chocks to keep your 5er from rolling when you unhitch.

There are a lot of other options out there to โ€œeliminateโ€ the bouncing/wiggling if you have the extra money and want to spend it.
HR

thmterry
Explorer
Explorer
The guy that did this install says you have to do the back too.

STEADYfast install
Terry, Vickie
Life Time CORVA members
Crew Cab Duramax 4x4, 2000 Kenworth T2000 Tow Vehicle
40DS Coachmen Adrenaline TH.
2006 Honda CRF450X
2001 Roadking
2009 Polaris Rzr

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
I have to respectfully disagree. We have been fulltiming for 17 years with our Carriage our only "home". The only downside was the unwanted movement while parked and in heavy winds. We tried various things over the years to improve this situation. We installed permanently mounted aftermarket stabilizers on the front and rear. While I agree that nothing will "totally" eliminate movement, they took care of 95% of the movement which was and is absolutely wonderful and makes living on the road sooo much more enjoyable. Di
AlabamaTraveler wrote:
In my opinion, the only way to totally eliminate movement in an RV is to switch to a tent.
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I installed the.BAL LOK-ARM stabilizers. Similar to the JT's. Made a huge improvement.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
cekkk wrote:
People talk about just installing the Steadyfast on the front to see if that is adequate. So if you need it in the rear also, do you buy two systems?

I installed the front set first and used the fifth wheel and then installed the rear set and used it again - installing the rear set did help some more.

With any RV on a suspension and wheels it is hard to get rid of all the movement - it just gets minimized.

I was looking for an option to the pin tri-pod and the Strong Arms met my needs.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, the only way to totally eliminate movement in an RV is to switch to a tent.
Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
"1: buying a pair of tripod adjustable stands for the slideout took care of side to side movement (Amazon $ 46 pair?)"

That can be a really bad idea should a heavy rain or anything else cause the unit to shift. Trailer moves. Slides don't.

We were setting up on a gravel site in an RV park. Extremely heavy rain on already saturated ground came and the tongue jack slipped off the block. fortunately I was still setting it up and had not lowered the stabilizers or I'm pretty sure they would have been damaged. If that happened while slides were out and they were stabilized separately, the trailer would have been totalled as far as I'm concerned.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Thumb wrote:
1: buying a pair of tripod adjustable stands for the slideout took care of side to side movement

Generally slideout supports are not recommended. The supports can cause significant stress on the slide rails as the trailer bounces vertically but the slide cannot. Its possible some older trailers were designed for use with supports so I'd check before ever using slide supports.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
People talk about just installing the Steadyfast on the front to see if that is adequate. So if you need it in the rear also, do you buy two systems?
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I too made some stabilizers.