cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Standard hitch vs. gooseneck hitch

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Starting to look at a 5er again now that we have a truck that can tow it after an almost 20 year hiatus. We are thinking of using a gooseneck hitch vs. a standard hitch in order to keep the truck bed more usable. Pros and cons of either? I apologize if this sounds uneducated but can't remember if you modify a pin to a gooseneck or if you order it that way. Memory is a little scrambled because it's been so long. Thanks!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
37 REPLIES 37

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I do have a dog in the hunt (sort of) in that I own an Andersen Ultimate Connection. I think the letter from Keystone is pretty clear that they no longer support these hitches. It's nice that they've grandfathered in existing owners.

In my case, my trailer's frame warranty has long expired. I'm not particularly concerned as so many of these hitches are pulling much larger trailers than mine with no issues and because of the fact that Northwoods (Arctic Fox) has a reputation for building a very stout frame.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:
work2much wrote:
tll wrote:
I've been following threads like this as we plan on upgrading to a fifth wheel, and really want to make the best choice for a hitch. The above Keystone letter refers to the "Anderson Goose Neck Adapter". No such thing on their website. They offer the "Ranch Hitch Adapter", which appears to be a goose neck adapter, and the "Anderson Ultimate Hitch" Which is a hitch and not an adapter. So what is the above letter referring to? I just don't yet know enough about fifth wheel hitches.

The letter refers to the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel Connection. This is the exact phrasing Anderson uses on their website.

Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

I have no dog in this race. These look like a quality product and certainly many people use them and are happy. As far as warranty though, at least Keystone is making it pretty clear that you may be denied using this product.

Any particular reason why you would misrepresent the terminology by leaving out the MODEL of the Anderson hitch. The next 3 words in your highlight specify the Anderson โ€œgoose neck adaptorโ€ which most certainly is NOT the Anderson ultimate that you say voids waarranty. It makes sense the Anderson goose neck adaptor would void the same warranty as every other GOOSE NECK adaptor.

I also have no dog, but would recommend that anyone purchasing would do their diligence away from Internet forums

The term Goose Neck adapter (as I interpret) simply means you are using the goose neck ball of the truck to adapt to a standard 5th wheel kingpin.

If I said Honda Accord automobile would you be confused what I was talking about because in their literature Honda only called it the Accord? The superfluous terminology does't eliminate the fact that they call the product out exactly as does Anderson. Anderson does not make any other products with this name or anything close.

I agree that people should do their own due diligence. My interpretation is clear. They are talking about the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel connection as stated in the letter. The same product I hyperlinked. There is no alternative explanation and trying to conflate terms to create confusion doesn't make the frame warranty any more secure. I agree the memo could have been written more clearly but the intent is clear (IMO)

That's just my take. People are certainly able to come to their own conclusions. Once again I think based on what I have read and looking at high res pictures the product it looks high quality.

Personally I think it would be foolish to install this on a new RV without clarification in writing that my frame warranty would not be challenged.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
I agree . Anyone with a little logic can see how the Andersen works . There can be no more stress on a pin box then with a conventional hitch . It does have a smaller footprint when making contact with plate of the pin box , and could cause some deflection on that plate on the more cheaply built pin boxes .

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
tll wrote:
I've been following threads like this as we plan on upgrading to a fifth wheel, and really want to make the best choice for a hitch. The above Keystone letter refers to the "Anderson Goose Neck Adapter". No such thing on their website. They offer the "Ranch Hitch Adapter", which appears to be a goose neck adapter, and the "Anderson Ultimate Hitch" Which is a hitch and not an adapter. So what is the above letter referring to? I just don't yet know enough about fifth wheel hitches.

The letter refers to the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel Connection. This is the exact phrasing Anderson uses on their website.

I have no dog in this race. These look like a quality product and certainly many people use them and are happy. As far as warranty though, at least Keystone is making it pretty clear that you may be denied using this product.

Any particular reason why you would misrepresent the terminology by leaving out the MODEL of the Anderson hitch. The next 3 words in your highlight specify the Anderson โ€œgoose neck adaptorโ€ which most certainly is NOT the Anderson ultimate that you say voids waarranty. It makes sense the Anderson goose neck adaptor would void the same warranty as every other GOOSE NECK adaptor.

I also have no dog, but would recommend that anyone purchasing would do their diligence away from Internet forums
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
tll wrote:

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Quite simple really. The Anderson bashers always lump โ€œAndersonโ€ into the aluminium roll over ball version and past issues. Anderson still makes a steel version and still makes both versions to fit standard rails. Saying Anderson is bad is like saying every Ford ever built is bad because of the Pinto. But haters gonna hate

IF your truck already has rails, Iโ€™d get the rail-steel version. Actually I. Might recommend it anyway as I still donโ€™t understand the โ€œloss of bedโ€ for those two little 1/2โ€ rails sticking up
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
tll wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
https://andersenhitches.com/collections/ranch-hitch-adapter/products/ranch-hitch-adapter

Big difference in what the memo says and what other members want it to say.
The Andersen type 5th wheel hitch isn't a GN/5th wheel adapter....but Andersens Ranch adapter is.

That's my take on it also (from my uneducated fifth wheel hitch mind). The memo does not involve the Anderson Ultimate hitch at all.
It would be important to me to have a hitch that removes easily, as I use my truck daily for tools and equipment. I have to reload all of my equipment after every weekend of camping, having to hoist a big hitch most every Friday and Sunday afternoon during the summer is a no go for me.... I've been considering the Reese Goose box or the Anderson hitch, both seem to fit my needs, with the Reese leading at the moment.

The Andersen will certainly solve your problem, which is what I wanted when I purchased mine. Hopefully this misleading information about the Andersen warranty will not scare people away, no the Andersen fifth wheel hitch is not a gooseneck adapter ,its a fifth wheel hitch. As jimnlin said ,its reading into something that they want to believe, not what's fact.

tll
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
https://andersenhitches.com/collections/ranch-hitch-adapter/products/ranch-hitch-adapter

The Andersen type 5th wheel hitch isn't a GN/5th wheel adapter....but Andersens Ranch adapter is.

That's my take on it also (from my uneducated fifth wheel hitch mind). The memo does not involve the Anderson Ultimate hitch at all.
It would be important to me to have a hitch that removes easily, as I use my truck daily for tools and equipment. I have to reload all of my equipment after every weekend of camping, having to hoist a big hitch most every Friday and Sunday afternoon during the summer is a no go for me.... I've been considering the Reese Goose box or the Anderson hitch, both seem to fit my needs, with the Reese leading at the moment.
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've also been following this and many threads on similar adapters. Since I have 2 trailers, a gooseneck and a 5th wheel, it would be nice to not have to remove the B&W Companion when switching to my gooseneck. However, reading reviews on Amazon, seeing the failures, I would not go with Anderson. The other issue is the frame issue. My trailer is older, so no manufacturer is going to warranty the frame in my opinion. So, why take a chance. Even if it doesn't happen, it could and that's too much of a gamble for me. I'll stick with the hitches I have. When I have to tow both trailers back to back, I just lift the B&W base, slide it forward, install my ball, and hook up the gooseneck. If I need the bed of my truck, I remove the hitch, make sure the ball is turned down, and I am good to go. I definitely am a proponent of the B&W due to its sturdy design and ease of hitching.

tll
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is the Keystone Memo:

MEMORANDUM
To: All Keystone Dealers
Date: March 1, 2021
Re: WARRANTY COVERAGE RELATED TO DAMAGE
CAUSED BY GOOSE NECK ADAPTERS

As you all know, Keystone fifth wheels come equipped with a pin box system designed to be used with a
conventional fifth wheel hitch system. Sometimes customers use goose neck adapters with the
conventional systems. Before Keystone would consider covering under its limited warranty any damage
to a fifth wheel caused by or associated with a goose neck adapter, the adapter would need to have
been approved by Keystone. Otherwise, the โ€œunauthorizedโ€ attachment, in this case the goose neck
adapter, would cause an exclusion from warranty coverage.
There are various brands of goose neck adapters in the industry, none of which have ever been
โ€œauthorizedโ€ or โ€œapproved for useโ€ by Keystone, except for the Reese Goose Box and the Anderson
Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection Goose Neck Adapter. Over the past couple of years we have noticed an
increase in the number of frame failures and sidewall damage on fifth wheels that use the Anderson
Goose Neck Adapter.
Lippert Components is the leading frame supplier in the RV Industry and has the expertise to evaluate
the use of goose neck adapters and the effect of their use on a fifth wheel. We approached LCI and
were informed that it has not, and it will not, honor or pay any warranty claims for damage to the front
end frame/structure or any parts or components of any fifth wheel, when a fifth wheel is being used
with any goose neck adapter, with the exception of the โ€œReese Goose Boxโ€ (having gone through
extensive suitability testing by Reese and LCI). LCI informed us that this policy and warranty exclusion,
except for the Reese Goose Box, applies to all brand fifth wheels currently being sold the in RV
Industry today, not just Keystone.
In light of the position being taken by LCI with all fifth wheel brands in the industry and Keystoneโ€™s
further evaluation of the effects of a goose neck adapter on a fifth wheel, Anderson Goose Neck
Adapters are no longer authorized or approved for use on Keystone, Dutchmen or CrossRoads products.
This decision is not a commentary or negative statement regarding the Anderson brand or the quality of
the brand. And, this does not mean that an Anderson Goose Neck Adapter cannot be used with a
Keystone product. Rather, we are simply stating that if Anderson Adapter is used by a customer with a
Keystone fifth wheel and later damage or loss occurs to the fifth wheel as a result of using the Anderson
Adapter, Keystone will not warrant the same or cover the cost of any such damage or loss.
We want to give you some runway to adjust to our updated policy on Anderson Goose Neck Adapters.
Therefore, should a dealer/customer encounter a failure on any Keystone, Dutchmen or CrossRoads
product which is thought to be affected by the use of the Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
Goose Neck Adapters installed prior to March 15, 2021, follow the normal process to receive warranty
consideration for those claims.
Any Anderson Goose Neck Adapters installed after March 15, 2021, will not be eligible for warranty
consideration. Proof of the date of the Anderson installation will be required as part of any claim
submission.
For additional assistance, contact a Customer Service team:
Luxury (LX)
Toy Haulers
(TH)
Premium
(PR)
Light Weight
(LW)
Traditional
(TR)
Dutchmen
(DM)
CrossRoads
(CR)
Alpine Fuzion/Impact Cougar Bullet Hideout Aerolite Cameo
Arcadia Raptor/Carbon Sprinter Outback Residence Aspen Trail Cruiser
Avalanche Rubicon Passport Retreat Atlas Hampton
Laredo Voltage/Endurance Springdale Coleman Redwood
Montana Yukon Summerland Denali Sunset Trail
HC Montana Kodiak Volante
Zinger
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Yeah...lots of fake news in social media.....and rv websites in general mostly pushed by those that never use the product being discussed or other brand fan boyz, and specifically mfg voiding their trailers frame warranty because a certain brand 5th wheel hitch is used.

PullRite has the same style hitch as a Andersen and nothing was said about its use voiding a rv trailers frame warranty. I would think Lippert would say all brands of Andersen type hitches and not just one brand.

There has been a long lengthy discussion about this warranty thing with the Andersen over on the Montana Owners Forum. Many on there tow with the Andersen . I have no concerns about the frame on mine, as said this is the second fifth wheel I have used the Andersen .

You are correct the Pullrite is the same exact hitch, with never a mention . Said it along ,most if not all the negative comments come from those that have never towed an inch with the Andersen . Bottom line IMO its the only way to go on towing a fifth wheel, once you have towed with one you will realize that.

...not to mention over at the Grand Design forum where lots of Solitude owners (the equivalent of Montana) are going to Andersen. Just pop it out of your bed and put it in the basement of your fiver if you like.

But like anything else, the Andersen is just one choice in a field of many. All of them work.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
The Andersen is a "Ball and Coupler Hitch" and it's Lippert who manufactures a majority of frames for most MFRs that has come out with a memo to MRFs that they will no longer cover Frame failures if an Andersen or real Goose Neck Adapter has been used.

Great; can you get us all a copy of that memo?

Refer also to the Andersen Multi Million Dollar Warranty posted prior.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"