cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban water heater replacement

Heff560
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced model SW6DE with SW6DEL. I am now testing prior to caulking the unit in place. The gas heating works perfectly. I shut off the switch that controls the gas side of the heater and let the water cool. I then flipped the switch on the unit to turn on the electric heating element. I let the unit sit over night and there is no hot water. I took the electric element cover off and tested for voltage with switch still on, my meter read zero. The element is not getting power. My fifth wheel does not have a separate switch to operate the electric side of the water heater. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I guess my next step is draining, unhook gas and slide the new unit out to recheck my wiring connections. Any suggestions?
12 REPLIES 12

billmac
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fat finger and can't see trying to find that little switch on the water heater. I put a light switch on everything.
Note eternal bond tape on bottom of water heater to prevent seepage into couch during maintenance.

Heff560
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Probably the easiest way would be to pull it out and bypass the relay- it looks like the relay is in the hookup box, with a black wire in and black wire out (ignore the orange and yellow wires). This will basically convert it to a DE model, like you had.

After much thought, this was the option I went with. I am happy to say the new water heater has passed all function checks. The gas and water connections are leak free as well. The hardest part of bypassing the relay was actually draining, unhooking gas/water and sliding the unit out just enough to gain access to the hookup box. My slightly modified SW6DEL is now a fully functional SW6DE. A heartfelt thank you to Chris Bryant and all others who read/posted to this thread. It is now time to install my new cover and caulk it in place.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the easiest way would be to pull it out and bypass the relay- it looks like the relay is in the hookup box, with a black wire in and black wire out (ignore the orange and yellow wires). This will basically convert it to a DE model, like you had.
-- Chris Bryant

Heff560
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Heff560 wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
Did you rewire adding a new 12 volt switch hooked to the new orange wire on the unit?

The extra orange wire was a bit confusing when rewiring. Using figure 4 on page 7 of the included instructions, I see the orange wire goes to a switch that I do not have. Where does this orange wire belong if I have no switch for it?

That is the problem- the DEL model uses a 12 volt relay to turn the electric element on and off, so without power to the orange wire, you will get not electric operation.
3 fixes- hook the orange wire to an always hot 12 volt lead, hook up a new switch for the orange wire, or bypass the relay, turning it in to a DE model.

Thanks Chris,

I am a novice when it comes to electrical hook ups. Which of your three fixes would you choose?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
12V DC and 120V AC wiring for your DEL
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Heff560 wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
Did you rewire adding a new 12 volt switch hooked to the new orange wire on the unit?

The extra orange wire was a bit confusing when rewiring. Using figure 4 on page 7 of the included instructions, I see the orange wire goes to a switch that I do not have. Where does this orange wire belong if I have no switch for it?

That is the problem- the DEL model uses a 12 volt relay to turn the electric element on and off, so without power to the orange wire, you will get not electric operation.
3 fixes- hook the orange wire to an always hot 12 volt lead, hook up a new switch for the orange wire, or bypass the relay, turning it in to a DE model.
-- Chris Bryant

Heff560
Explorer
Explorer
Re wiring the new HW Heater: the 120 side was straight forward, black to black, white to white and attached the ground to the box. The 12 v side had an eXtra orange wire on the new heater. I have no switch to wire this to. What should I have done with this orange wire?

Heff560
Explorer
Explorer
four22 wrote:
I'm not being smart but is the switch IN the water heater on? We have the same water heater in ours and its tricky to see the switch...

See pic below:

Yes, that switch is in the on position. I believe the issue may well be the 12v orange wire that I have no switch to wire it to. Thanks

Heff560
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:

four22
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not being smart but is the switch IN the water heater on? We have the same water heater in ours and its tricky to see the switch...

See pic below:

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you plug it into a 120VAC source?
Did you push the reset button?
How are you controlling the 120VAC circuit side?
These things are pretty simple. You have a 120VAC circuit that takes power from source, passes thru the hi limit switch pack and feeds directly to the element.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant