cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Survey: How often do you chock your wheels?

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
I was in a campground in Kansas that was as flat as a billiard table, and my neighbor had all four trailer wheels chocked front and back. I thought this was overkill and it prompted my to ask this question: When do you chock your wheels?

a) Every time without fail
b) Only if I am parked on a noticeable slope
c) Never

Personally, my answer is b.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4
84 REPLIES 84

StewC130
Explorer
Explorer
Always when unhitched. Storage is flat so i just do one side but at camping site both sides get chocked. I know it's overkill but I use 12" 6x6 blocks. I needed them a few times on spots that were not level side to side and needed to stack 3 level blocks under the tires to get level side to side. If I had tried to use smaller plastic type chocks they would not have been tall enough on the downhill side. I've had the camper slide with the front jacks on wood before without chocks so now I chock every time.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Every time.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Always. Always. Always. Until the TT is hitched and locked to the TV, ready to tow away.

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Always. When we first camped in our new to us fiver we did not chock the wheels and the when I pulled off the trailer rolled ever so slightly and landed on the bed of our truck. Never went without chocking wheels first ever again!

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Always without fail!!!
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

Bigburd
Explorer
Explorer
Never on level ground.
2012 Ford F-450 CCDRW 6.7L
2013 Heartland Cyclone 300C / Goodyear 17.5" G114's / CarryTank 200
2006 Club Car

Rarebear_nm
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with JD. I always chock both wheels with those heavy rubber chicks prior to unhitching and then add X-chocks to both sides after unhitching. The X-chocks seem to reduce the bounce some. I have only the landing gears and rear leveling jacks. For an overnighter on fairly level ground I may not use chocks if the trailer stays hitched.

skijlw
Explorer
Explorer
Allways

boblinfoto
Explorer
Explorer
We not only put BAL chocks between the tires, but we also put plastic chocks behind each tire. And we have a bed saver in the bed of the truck attached to the hitch itself.
2009 Outback Sydney Edition 321FRL 5th wheel, 2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty, 4 dogs, 2 cats

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
X-chocks between the wheels on both sides, wedge chocks both sides when not hooked to the truck.
I figure it's cheap insurance and doesn't take that much time.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
DHCamper wrote:
"A". Always chocking when you disconnect means you never have to say you're sorry.

Yep, all it takes is one time....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer
"A". Always chocking when you disconnect means you never have to say you're sorry.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
RRinNFla wrote:
I was in a campground in Kansas that was as flat as a billiard table, and my neighbor had all four trailer wheels chocked front and back. I thought this was overkill and it prompted my to ask this question: When do you chock your wheels?

a) Every time without fail
b) Only if I am parked on a noticeable slope
c) Never

Personally, my answer is b.

"a" - "minimum chocking" is an excellent habit!..:W

Minimum chocking (for me) would be two 12" 4 x 6 beveled wood chocks on one side w/ rope "pulls" for easy removal.
Probably takes 2 minutes.

If I am in a campground - slope or no slope - the Roto Chocks are added - as they make the 5er much more stable (no rocking).

If I am *not* unhitching for some reason - *NO* chocks.

~

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I full time. Slope or no slope - does not matter. I have 4 of the real big rubber chocks and they get set in place first thing after I get out of the cab and don't get picked up until I'm hitched up and ready to leave the CG - every single time. I cannot understand why anyone would skip doing this.

I think those small yellow hard plastic ones are really cute.

Skip using chocks and someday you will probably get a surprise.