cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taxes?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone done there 2018 taxes and found out anything different about RV deductions under the new tax bill? I'm assuming that we will meet the minimum deductions to itemize. Having purchased our 5er this last year, we have been going on the assumption that sales tax, registration and interest were deductible.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
33 REPLIES 33

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
In 2018, only RVs with motors can be considered a second home for mortgage interest purposes.

May not be true. The section of the code that states that turns out to be in the business section for deductions. Unless the RV is owned by a business that section doesn't seem to apply to personal owned RV's. The article that originally caused the confusion has been corrected by many newer articles from tax professionals.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The best IRS publication that covers almost all topics in one document is Publication 17 (Pub 17) which you can view online at IRS.gov. Not sure if the actual booklet can be ordered yet, or ever.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

babock
Explorer
Explorer
In 2018, only RVs with motors can be considered a second home for mortgage interest purposes.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
2nd home appears to be deductible to me. It may be limited.
See "qualified home" on page 4 here:
pub.936

Sales tax if it is greater than the table amt. for your income.
Registration is like reg. on your vehicles.

Does not look like it has changed over the years:

For you to take a home mortgage interest deduction, your debt must be secured by a qualified home. This means your main home or your
second home. A home includes a house, condominium, cooperative, mobile home, house
trailer, boat, or similar property that has sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I used to itemize, but now my house is worthless to me. Single filing status. I don't owe on my camper, and I'm glad I don't now that I learned that.

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
morphrider wrote:
You can't use it as a second home anymore. We did ours, could not claim it.

I donโ€™t believe this to be totally factual. My H&R Block software says I can at least for federal taxes. Havenโ€™t got to state yet. Iโ€™m deducting both the interest on the loan as well as the personal property taxes.

We went into H&R Block. Same person has been doing my taxes for several years. She was disappointed as well for us.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Sales and property tax deduction is pegged at $10K max.
The per person exemptions are gone.
If you are over 65 don't use the standard deduction listed on the 1040.
Single seniors standard deduction is $13,600; married filing jointly it is $26,600.
Form 1040A and 1040EZ are replaced by form 1040. That's about the only change that makes the new tax law simpler.
P.S. I do income taxes as a volunteer for AARP.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I think I temporarily have some peace of mind, at least until we meet with our tax guy.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe you have to be able to itemize deductions, before the sales tax deduction can come into play. So, you have to get to 24K (or more) before the sales tax deduction can be taken.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act modified the deduction for state and local income, sales and property taxes.

If you itemize deductions on Schedule A, your total deduction for state and local income, sales and property taxes is limited to a combined, total deduction of $10,000 ($5,000 if married filing separately).

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
2nd home appears to be deductible to me. It may be limited.
See "qualified home" on page 4 here:
pub.936

Sales tax if it is greater than the table amt. for your income.
Registration is like reg. on your vehicles.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
We are connected to a lot of charities so we are sitting on the bubble at $24K without the 5er. Sales tax alone is almost $4K. To me, it would make the difference to itemize or not.

Come live in NY and we'll help you get there :).

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
morphrider wrote:
You can't use it as a second home anymore. We did ours, could not claim it.

I donโ€™t believe this to be totally factual. My H&R Block software says I can at least for federal taxes. Havenโ€™t got to state yet. Iโ€™m deducting both the interest on the loan as well as the personal property taxes.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that the sales tax is deductible regardless of the second home issue so that is good.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
We are connected to a lot of charities so we are sitting on the bubble at $24K without the 5er. Sales tax alone is almost $4K. To me, it would make the difference to itemize or not.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Exceeding $24,000 standard deduction is gonna be really hard, regardless of the law.

I own two houses, and even the deductions for both, my sales tax for my brand new truck and registration costs I could not get above 24K.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS