cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taylor Park

Bad_Brad
Explorer
Explorer
We are taking our RZRs and heading to Taylor Park, Colorado this weekend. For those who have been there, do you know of a method of going from Taylor Park to Crested Butte without trailering? I've heard there is a trail somewhere by a lake that allows access, but cannot find where I read this.

Help.
2023 Ford F450 Lariat, 6.7 H.O., 10 Speed

2018 Grand Design Momentum 394
2010 Polaris RZR S
2014 Polaris RZR XP 1000
2 boys 26 & 23 yrs
A Super AWESOME Wife of 38 years
17 REPLIES 17

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Latitude 40 maps. They are the best I've found for detail and trails. I carry mine in my ATV at all times. I have the Crested Butte/Taylor Park map as well as a couple of different scale Moab maps. Great maps. Trail Damage.com is also a good site, it's just hard sometimes to compare their trail difficulty ratings for Jeeps with ATV's. Two very different animals on the trail, but still lots of good information that will cross over.
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

2KGeorgieBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Also, for the people that like to "Jeep", take a look at this site. This is a Colorado 4wheel drive club with a website with a boatload of Colorado 4 wheel drive trails (and some for other states, also). WWW.traildamage.com. My wife and I are Polaris ATV riders but I find this site interesting just to see other parts of Colorado and some of the trails are ATV friendly...Also check out the series of maps produced by Latitude 40 WWW.latitude40maps.com. Charles Welles series of books at Funtreks.com are very good and I understand that either he or his son-in-law has personally ridden each trail in every one of his books...no 2nd or 3rd hand info.

TommyC83
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from TP yesterday. This was our second trip out there and its getting harder and harder not to move out there for good. We boondocked a few days out on the texas lakes trail then loaded up and spent 2 days near the Paradise divinde trail head on the slate river. Wife loves going out there because we can ride for a day then clean up and get a nice dinner in CB.

anyone going out there should pickup the funtreks book for the area. there are a lot of side trails to wander off on. The books also have a lot of good info on stuff you might not notice right away. We also have the gps maps from funtreks which is a little extra insurance for when we are out and about by ourselves.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
fly-boy wrote:
My only thought was that it has the affect of turning away a great deal of commerce. That should be of interest to all of the local merchants and the local/state gov. who benefit from the extra sales tax/occupancy tax...

Please don't take this the wrong way as it's not meant to be critical of what you said above, as I kinda side with you on the subject...

There are some towns where the residents prefer it to be a quiet, lazy town versus making it a "booming" economy with everything that goes along with it. Just the way it is.
I love me some land yachting

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
My only thought was that it has the affect of turning away a great deal of commerce. That should be of interest to all of the local merchants and the local/state gov. who benefit from the extra sales tax/occupancy tax...
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
fly-boy wrote:
Can't understand why those towns would not be more atv/utv friendly.

It's because in the past, the Californians believed the rules didn't apply to them.

๐Ÿ˜‰

There are ATV/UTV friendly towns in CO, just not all of them.

Hahaha, that would be even funnier if it weren't so true.
I know of a few atv friendly towns, but it doesn't take much to turn them against OHV's.

Y-Guy
fly-boy wrote:

After my visit to Southern Utah it changed my view on how communities can embrace off-roading. Particularly in rural communities it can be an economic game changer. But it all starts at the State level.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
fly-boy wrote:

It's because in the past, the Californians believed the rules didn't apply to them.

๐Ÿ˜‰

There are ATV/UTV friendly towns in CO, just not all of them.

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
Can't understand why those towns would not be more atv/utv friendly. One of the reasons I would not consider CO for a second home/retirement option.

I see zero reason not to allow atv/utv vehicles to use the road to drive to trail heads, link trails, get gas, grab lunch...
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
GPSfileDepot - Taylor Park ATV Trails 2014 Map (BobT)

On the gpsfiledepot site, user BobT recently updated his GPS maps for Taylor Park that you can download and put into your GPS. His maps also work in conjunction (same color coding schema) with the recommended book by Charles Wells, ATV Trails Guide Colorado Taylor Park, Crested Butte

I will be out there in a couple weeks myself. Looking forward to it as I have a couple of friends flying in for it.

Dwight45
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know if you could get a jeep through Pearl. You sure as hell wouldn't get me to ride in it if you did!!

Dwight

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
My son just told me it was Pearl Pass that we went through with Jeeps. As I said before it was about 8 years ago.

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
No legal way to ride from TP to CB. Cement Creek is as close as you will get. You can go over Taylor Pass and ride down into Aspen for lunch and eat at the worlds most expensive Mac Donald's. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dwight45
Explorer
Explorer
The motorcycle guys, if they are street legal, can do it. I don't know if you can get a jeep over Pearl Pass but maybe you could connect to Taylor Pass and make it from there. Taylor Pass does make you ride through the river for a ways. We've just rented a trailer from the Campgroung at Taylor Park and hauled over that way. FYI Chrested Butte is not ATV/SXS friendly.

Dwight