cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tell me more about your hitch

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
A hitch WAR is not what I'm looking for. I get it. I would prefer that if anyone has one of these hitches tell me what you like and dislike about it. I really don't care what you paid for it or where it comes from... I'm ok with A side by side comparison if you have had more than one...who has this option to decide?...You tell us If You have had any of them to compare.... I want the real world to tell me what you think. SO throw me a bone and tell me why yours works for you. I am back to the question of.." Why wouldn't you buy the biggest rated hitch you could get?" Regardless...
38 REPLIES 38

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now this is what I was looking for...a well maintained discussion about your experiences with these hitches. I'm not trolling here, I just want to have the information as to what is good or bad about the real world of towing. I can't thank you all enough. I'm actually shocked at the quick response....and others like me who are just getting started can make better decisions because you all have worked out the bugs...thanks again I truly appreciate it!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP if you are truly wanting know what "standard" non air ride hitch is best just look at the VAST majority of posts!

You did get your answers on your other thread but I guess you did not think so.

Here is your answer. See below.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
We got a Reese 16K slider when we bought our first trailer (11 years ago) and still use it.

I have a long bed now and don't need the slider, but I use it because I have it and am too cheap to replace something that works fine.

Hook up and go!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

How big a deal is the little clunk? In my van and in my past SUV every time the hitch rattles in the receiver I can hear it...so a little clunk is not a problem for me when I go to a fifth wheel.

Probably will end up with a B&W but I really like the way the Reese dual jaw hitch is designed. The slide bar hitches are appealing due to their security...if the bar is crossing the king pin it's locked in! But the reports say they rattle a bit.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

12,000 lbs jerking forward and aft every time I started or stopped was a big deal for me.. that is why I got rid of my old hitch.

What do you think that shock loading does to everything ?
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
I used a RBW slide bar for years and it worked fine, except that it gained weight every year to where it was getting difficult to install and remove. At 43 pounds, the rail mount Andersen was heaven sent. There would be no advantage to me to use any other hitch brand.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used Reese when we bought our 5th wheel. It was noisy and clunky. Granted it was about 10 yrs old and I really have no idea how much it was really used. I replaced it with a B&W Patriot. Its very quiet and IMO easier to use, but not by much. Going on 3 seasons and not an issue.
Con. It's heavy. The top comes off which is fairly light. But the base is a heavy hunk of steel.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Last 5th wheel hitch was a old RBW slide bar ..big heavy hunk of metal that served me well for many years.

Then in 2006 bought new truck and new 5vr.
Bought a Husky 16K 4-way articulating head with wrap-around jaw

Used it to tow my 14K 5vr every week or so FT travel for 7 yrs.
Never had an issue with hitching/unhitching in many off angle/off camber/off level situations.

Hooked up......visual check....GO!

I see I was not the only one to have an old RBW slide bar. It was a reliable hitch, served me well too. It did clunk a little on start/stop, more so after bar wear. It was obvious if you were hitched, and bar locked.

Jerry

How big a deal is the little clunk? In my van and in my past SUV every time the hitch rattles in the receiver I can hear it...so a little clunk is not a problem for me when I go to a fifth wheel.

Probably will end up with a B&W but I really like the way the Reese dual jaw hitch is designed. The slide bar hitches are appealing due to their security...if the bar is crossing the king pin it's locked in! But the reports say they rattle a bit.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Last 5th wheel hitch was a old RBW slide bar ..big heavy hunk of metal that served me well for many years.

Never had an issue with hitching/unhitching in many off angle/off camber/off level situations.

I see I was not the only one to have an old RBW slide bar. It was a reliable hitch, served me well too. It did clunk a little on start/stop, more so after bar wear. It was obvious if you were hitched, and bar locked.

Jerry

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only hitch I have had in 19 years of towing a 5th wheel is a Reese Classic 20k. It has been in 3 trucks and towed 2 5th wheels with a boat behind. Still works well without any issues. I did replace the 2 jaw/handle springs last year as part of my maintenance. 😄

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
The only 5er hitch I have ever had is a Husky installed by the dealer when we bought the 5er a little over 7 years ago, so nothing to compare to. All I can say is I like it, it does the job with never a problem. I like the suggestion someone posted below about painting the jaws white for better visibility. My eye sight is not what it used to be especially in the dark or low light and I use a LED flashlight I keep in my pocket to be sure the jaw has closed all the way. Think I will be cleaning and painting the jaw white. Thanks for the idea. 🙂
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
My first hitch in a 2007 F350 was a Pullrite Super 5th. Used it for 5 yrs and it was flawless. Traded for a 2012 F350 with factory hitch prep. Would have bought another Pullrite but at that time the Reese Elite was the only hitch made to fit the Ford factory prep so that is what I bought. After 4 yrs it has also been flawless. Both have similar wrap around jaw latching mechanism. Hitching and unhitching are easy.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I had an RBW in my old truck and it worked well except the holes in the saddle plate where it mounts to the main body of the hitch would crack. After several times welding the cracks, I finally put in a square metal patch to beef up the area. No more problem.

My new truck came setup with a B&W turnover ball so I bought the companion 5th wheel hitch. It is a great hitch. Works flawlessly. Just took it out of the pickup bed last night. I was done in less than 15 minutes.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Hensley TrailerSaver BD3 hitch. It's the only hitch we've ever had and it performs very well. It has a Holland Binkley head and a visual locking hitching system. If you are not hitched right, you will know it by the position of the latch.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I use the rail mount version of the Andersen Ultimate and I like it. I can see the ball from the driver's seat so hitching it up is easy, it's completely solid with none of the clunking on starts/stops I've experienced with other hitches, and it's lightweight and very easy to install or remove. I grew up on a farm using gooseneck trailers so I'm comfortable with a gooseneck style hitch, and I like that the Andersen gives me that without potential downsides of a gooseneck adapter on a fifth wheel hitch (although my dad never had any issues with that type of setup). I don't see myself ever switching to a different style hitch.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB