cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermostat for the forward A/C unit?

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
We have the second 13.5k A/C option in the front bedroom of our 5er. The only control options are fan speed and temperature dials. When left on during the day (if we may be gone for most of it), the bedroom can get very cold, as that A/C runs constantly.

Is there an "easy" way to make that A/C thermostatically controlled, like the 15k we have in the main living area? That A/C has a nice digital thermostat. I don't recall the manufacturer of the A/C units off the top of my head, but the rig is in my signature if anyone might have some input. Thanks!
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI
9 REPLIES 9

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
handsome51 wrote:
kep5niner wrote:
We have the second 13.5k A/C option in the front bedroom of our 5er. The only control options are fan speed and temperature dials. When left on during the day (if we may be gone for most of it), the bedroom can get very cold, as that A/C runs constantly.

Is there an "easy" way to make that A/C thermostatically controlled, like the 15k we have in the main living area? That A/C has a nice digital thermostat. I don't recall the manufacturer of the A/C units off the top of my head, but the rig is in my signature if anyone might have some input. Thanks!

Go to this website:http://www.modmyrv.com/2010/07/21/rv-coleman-mach-iii-thermostat-modification, I did this about 4 years ago. I installed a digital thermostat on the wall instead of using the one on the unit. I have it where the fan cuts of just like at the house when it reaches the temperature I have it on. I kept the fan switch and temp switch in the lower assembly still in the line. I put the fan on high and turned the thermostat down as low as it would go. That way the wall thermostat operates the unit. If I wanted to use the controls in the lower assembly I just set the wall thermostat to as low as it will go so it will not cut the unit off. Then I can use the manual controls on the lower assembly. It stays so comfortable now in my RV. If all you have is just 110 volts going to the unit. You will have to wire it like the picture on the website. I didn't have to because my old carrier unit had 12 volts going to the ceiling unit as well as 110volts. So I had my 12 volts wires already their. I installed the relays in the return air duct in the ceiling.

Your link btw doesn't work.

Thanks but the OP doesn't know/remember the brand of the 2nd a/c.
It maybe is just a matter of setting it up right.

We have a Coleman 13.5 in the bedroom with this thermostat;

RV thermostat provides convenient adjustment of your heating and cooling systems.
Coleman RV Digital Thermostat - Heat/Cool operation with 2 speed fan.

Operator has to make sure to select 'Auto' to have the a/c maintain the tep selected. If running in 'On' the a/c will just continue to run.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
kep5niner wrote:

Go to this website:http://www.modmyrv.com/2010/07/21/rv-coleman-mach-iii-thermostat-modification, I did this about 4 years ago. I installed a digital thermostat on the wall instead of using the one on the unit. I have it where the fan cuts of just like at the house when it reaches the temperature I have it on. I kept the fan switch and temp switch in the lower assembly still in the line. I put the fan on high and turned the thermostat down as low as it would go. That way the wall thermostat operates the unit. If I wanted to use the controls in the lower assembly I just set the wall thermostat to as low as it will go so it will not cut the unit off. Then I can use the manual controls on the lower assembly. It stays so comfortable now in my RV. If all you have is just 110 volts going to the unit. You will have to wire it like the picture on the website. I didn't have to because my old carrier unit had 12 volts going to the ceiling unit as well as 110volts. So I had my 12 volts wires already their. I installed the relays in the return air duct in the ceiling.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
kep5niner wrote:
The only control options are fan speed and temperature dials.
Seems like that oughta work.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
OP...do you have a pic of the bedroom thermostat?

Either a pic you have taken or one from the manufacturer.
Our Trip Journal

MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip Dtank, and I did check out the link. Specifically, I am not looking to go from an analog, wall-mounted t-stat to a digital, but rather a wall-mounted digital t-stat as opposed to the existing knob that is simply in the unit. There may be more to it as far as the LV controls to the A/C unit, than simply adding a digital t-stat on the wall.

I'll keep searching, unfortunately the search functionality to this forum leaves a lot to be desired.
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
See link.

The conversion details have been on here many times in the past,
so there may be other solutions.

Use the search function - both current and archives, just enter
"thermostat"

Go to the link in the post by "fabguy" in this thread -

Thermostat change-out

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input - maybe the answer was right in front of my face - I just haven't fooled with it enough to figure out the solution. Thanks again fellas. I'll look at it again next weekend and let you know.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
There is no auto-temp setting for the bedroom A/C Thermostat?
Our Trip Journal

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The AC may run constantly but if you have the temperature set high enough the compressor will shut off periodically to keep the room from getting too cold. Sounds like you need to turn the dial up a little to keep the room from getting too cold. That dial is a thermostat that shuts down the compressor, even though the fan keeps running, when the room temperature hits the desired mark.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"