cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Balancing

crewstx
Explorer
Explorer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am changing to Goodyear G614 tires on 16 in rims for my 2010 Montana 34RL.
The dealer on has center holding wheel capability but can borrow the finger holding set. Treditt which manufacturers the wheel rim says they are meant to be center balanced only by use of finger balance method which picks up bolt holes.y Montana dealer says they do not balance their tires unless they get a reason such as large vibration.

I have had two tier places try to balance these tires and each time they get a balance at one place on the balancer and the rotate the tire about 90 degrees the next time it shows out of balance.

Is my dealer correct in that you do not need to balance fith wheel tires. and has anyone else had this experience?
Charles & Elaine Crews, Cindy & Molly - 2 Golden Retrievers
29RLTS '07 Jayco 5th Wheel, '07 Dodge 2500HD, Pullright hitch
18 REPLIES 18

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
C.B. wrote:
I take mine to a local Auto/Truck Alignment Shop.
They spin balance with wheels mounted on fifth wheel.
They also balance the front wheels on my truck that way.

C.B.

Most truck tire dealers I've did business with will only balance trailer wheels or lug centered applications this way.

They also would match mark the lug inline with the valve stem.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I take mine to a local Auto/Truck Alignment Shop.
They spin balance with wheels mounted on fifth wheel.
They also balance the front wheels on my truck that way.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
crewstx wrote:

I have had two tier places try to balance these tires and each time they get a balance at one place on the balancer and the rotate the tire about 90 degrees the next time it shows out of balance.

That's not uncommon. Usually they don't clock the tires and check again, because they know they will be chasing their tails forever trying to get it perfect. Doesn't need to be that perfect.

Did you ask them to clock the tire and check it again? That's the only reason they would do that in my experience, which means you are overthinking this and trying to get perfection. In doing that you're just giving yourself a headache needlessly.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about this statement. (yes I know an Old man thinking is dangerous)

"The lug holes are seldom concentric to the rims tire bead seat flange"

This can be easily checked by raising the tire on the trailer so it is just off the ground. Rotate the wheel and see if the tire runs true. If it does not then either the above statement is true or the tire is the problem. Or it can even be the brake drum/hub studs not concentric with the bearing bores.

I have found the brake drum braking surface not concentric with the bearing bores on three of my 5th wheel drums. Had a machine shop correct that problem.

Also if the above statement is true not likely the tire can be balanced even with beads. If it is the wheel replace it with a good one.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
If it rotates, it should be balanced.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Hunter11
Explorer II
Explorer II
X3 on balance beads
2017 Chevrolet 3500 4DR LTZ DRW LWB 4X4 D/A
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4DR
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on balance beads
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Equal. You have tire dealer that sells equal to break down the one sidewall and throw in a 6 ounce bag and blow up the tire. It works great. It is always working and never needs re balancing. It re balances every time you stop and start.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:

I have had good luck with balance beads taking care of the balance problems with trailer tires and brake drums/hubs.

+1.. I also use balance beads and in the truck tires.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
The dealer on has center holding wheel capability but can borrow the finger holding set. Treditt which manufacturers the wheel rim says they are meant to be center balanced only by use of finger balance method which picks up bolt holes.

Trailer wheels are lug centered as a trailer axle hub has no centering stub unlike our truck wheels. The hole in the trailer wheel is just a clearance hole.

Montana dealer says they do not balance their tires unless they get a reason such as large vibration.

I've owned three rv trailers and 14-15 flatdeck/equipment/stock trailers/boats/cargo and wore out dozens of tires on those trailers and have never had one balanced. I only balance them if a out of balance issue pops up (tread wear pattern) which is rare however I don't use ST tires on any of those trailers.

This is typical of most steel trailer wheels and cheap aluminum wheels. The lug holes are seldom concentric to the rims tire bead seat flange. most Quality aluminum wheels are machined so its a better chance the bead seat flange is concentric to the lugs.
And along with that issue is the trailers hubs are not balanced.

Other have their reasons/preferences.

I have had good luck with balance beads taking care of the balance problems with trailer tires and brake drums/hubs.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer on has center holding wheel capability but can borrow the finger holding set. Treditt which manufacturers the wheel rim says they are meant to be center balanced only by use of finger balance method which picks up bolt holes.

Trailer wheels are lug centered as a trailer axle hub has no centering stub unlike our truck wheels. The hole in the trailer wheel is just a clearance hole.

Montana dealer says they do not balance their tires unless they get a reason such as large vibration.

I've owned three rv trailers and 14-15 flatdeck/equipment/stock trailers/boats/cargo and wore out dozens of tires on those trailers and have never had one balanced. I only balance them if a out of balance issue pops up (tread wear pattern) which is rare however I don't use ST tires on any of those trailers.

This is typical of most steel trailer wheels and cheap aluminum wheels. The lug holes are seldom concentric to the rims tire bead seat flange. most Quality aluminum wheels are machined so its a better chance the bead seat flange is concentric to the lugs.
And along with that issue is the trailers hubs are not balanced.

Other have their reasons/preferences.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
You are going to get comments on both sides of this issue. IMO if it is a tire that runs on pavement it should be balanced for better life. And it also may be easier on the equipment it is running on due to less vibration. It is true that trailer tires are not normally balanced at the factory but that doesn't make it right. I have all my vehicle, trailer and boat trailer tires when first installed. Vehicles get rechecked later on.

All of the above!

You're spending big bucks for the tires!

The cost to have them balanced is chump change and a no brainer...:W

~

I have been running the GY G614's on my 5er since 2008 and each time I either replace 1 ... or all .. I have them static balanced....With zero issues
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
dupe
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman