cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire problems

robertmcc
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a 2010 Jayco 35 ft 5th wheel in 2011. Went on a couple of short trips (10 to 500 miles round trip). Lived in the trailer for a year in our yard. Began fulltiming in Feb. Got 800 miles and one of the tires separated, with the center of the tread coming out. Had it replaced, drove another 100 miles and had the other one on the same side go flat. Drove another 400 miles and now see a large bulge in one area of the tread on the other side. Have kept tires at 80 psi as our load is max but not over. The tires are GoodYear Marathon ST235/80R16 with an E load rating. Tread looks fine and the tires were manufactured in 2010. Real disappointed with GoodYear. Is this common or have I done something wrong? Sitting in one place too long?
38 REPLIES 38

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
That is really bad tire mileage on that truck. Might be worthing looking at a different brand. Michelins will give you 60,000 miles. Just think, you'd be out shopping today for your 3rd set.

My truck came with OEM Goodyear Wranglers with a five rib tread design, common on summer tires. At about 40,000 miles they would breakout on wet roads and really bad on steep wet grades. I replaced them with Generals with a similar tread pattern. Same thing happened with them at 40,000 miles. My current set is Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade series with a much more aggressive tread pattern. I thought they would produce much more noise than the first two sets but have not noticed any differences. So far they have proven to be much more durable than the first two sets and are still holding their traction on wet roads when towing. One of the original seven did have a major defect but Goodyear gave me a new one for it.

Look here

FastEagle

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
That is really bad tire mileage on that truck. Might be worthing looking at a different brand. Michelins will give you 60,000 miles. Just think, you'd be out shopping today for your 3rd set.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
kedanie wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

FE - Honesty is the best policy!
Just "new post" the number of ST tires *YOU* have admitted to having gone through in your "new post"..

I quit posting information about my personal tire use because of the out of out of context comments with negative connotations.

For the record my trailer tire usage spans 10 years and more than 70,000 trailer miles. My trailer was fitted with OEM tires ST235/80R16D on 6000# axles. The tires were made in the USA and within less than a year they had all failed. Thatโ€™s 10 tires in the first year. Since then Iโ€™ve changed out another three sets. My trailer is setting in storage right now with 3 & ยฝ year old tires on it and they will all 5 be changed when we head north this summer.

Iโ€™ve always stressed that Iโ€™ve never had a tire failure that I thought was reportable. For the past 7 years our tires have been ST235/80R16E rated at 3520# at 80 psi. In that period of time we have had three road damaged failures, two of which resulted in both tires being replaced on that side due to possible overloading. The last tire we lost was at highway speed heading south on US-25 in GA. We could hear the tire blow. We had to go about a mile to a pull-off. There was a nice clean 3 & ยฝโ€ cut in the LH FWD sidewall. Never saw anything in the road. Itโ€™s still a mystery.

FastEagle
End Quote

Here you go Calvin. That is what you actually admit to using. I would lay odds that the real number is higher.

Keith

My truck has a little over 120,000 miles and it's used 19 tires and those are all mileage tires.

FE

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
kedanie wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

Just "new post" the number of ST tires *YOU* have admitted to having gone through in your "new post"..

I quit posting information about my personal tire use because of the out of out of context comments with negative connotations.

For the record my trailer tire usage spans 10 years and more than 70,000 trailer miles. My trailer was fitted with OEM tires ST235/80R16D on 6000# axles. The tires were made in the USA and within less than a year they had all failed. Thatโ€™s 10 tires in the first year. Since then Iโ€™ve changed out another three sets. My trailer is setting in storage right now with 3 & ยฝ year old tires on it and they will all 5 be changed when we head north this summer.

Iโ€™ve always stressed that Iโ€™ve never had a tire failure that I thought was reportable. For the past 7 years our tires have been ST235/80R16E rated at 3520# at 80 psi. In that period of time we have had three road damaged failures, two of which resulted in both tires being replaced on that side due to possible overloading. The last tire we lost was at highway speed heading south on US-25 in GA. We could hear the tire blow. We had to go about a mile to a pull-off. There was a nice clean 3 & ยฝโ€ cut in the LH FWD sidewall. Never saw anything in the road. Itโ€™s still a mystery.

FastEagle
End Quote

Here you go Calvin. That is what you actually admit to using. I would lay odds that the real number is higher.

Keith

Got him off the hook didn't you?

FE

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
My OEM tires are still on the 5er. Before Fast Eagle screams about how old they are, they get changed in the next couple months. They sit all winter without being moved. Guess I am very,very lucky.

You forgot to mention that all 2005 model year Keystone Montana's were equipped with LT235/85R16E tires.

FastEagle

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

FastEagle
End Quote

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
robertmcc wrote:
Bought a 2010 Jayco 35 ft 5th wheel in 2011. Went on a couple of short trips (10 to 500 miles round trip). Lived in the trailer for a year in our yard. Began fulltiming in Feb. Got 800 miles and one of the tires separated, with the center of the tread coming out. Had it replaced, drove another 100 miles and had the other one on the same side go flat. Drove another 400 miles and now see a large bulge in one area of the tread on the other side. Have kept tires at 80 psi as our load is max but not over. The tires are GoodYear Marathon ST235/80R16 with an E load rating. Tread looks fine and the tires were manufactured in 2010. Real disappointed with GoodYear. Is this common or have I done something wrong? Sitting in one place too long?

I posted the information below on page #2. My mistake was not to attach it to this post of yours.

When the RV trailer is required to set in one place for extended periods, the owner should try and to reposition (rotate) the tires 180 degrees every 90 days - or more often - if possible. Tire manufacturers use a lot of chemicals to help prevent ozone damage, aging and weather checking - just to name a few. Over long periods of time those chemicals will migrate to the bottom of the tire leaving all areas above them unprotected. Our cars, trucks, etc. are not normally idle for long periods and do not suffer from the lack of protection.

Another beneficial safety precaution would be to provide a barrier between the surface the tire is parked on and the tire. Over long periods of inactivity water can permeate into the tire treads and decay them along with the tires innerliner and maybe even the carcass.

Tire history is a key element for maintaining trailer tires - of any design. Low tire pressure for tires in storage with the trailer weight on them is as damaging as rolling down the road with low tire pressure. Not storing a trailer in a level condition will put undue - long term - weight on the low side/end causing those tires to degrade faster than the tires on the high end/side.

People that have had tire problems with their OE trailer tires almost always become more proficient with their maintenance the second time around.

FastEagle

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
billmac wrote:
After way too much reading on trailer tires, I've always used LT tires on my rig. Knock on wood....my only tire problem has been a nail.

My reading led me to try Firestone Transforce tires this time.

If your 5th wheel was like mine, it came with the optional LT235/85R16 chinese tires, which I replaced within the first year with XPS Ribs, after Kenda gave me 110 each to remove the OEM tires from service before they failed. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

billmac
Explorer
Explorer
After way too much reading on trailer tires, I've always used LT tires on my rig. Knock on wood....my only tire problem has been a nail.

My reading led me to try Firestone Transforce tires this time.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
OP says wrote:
Is this common or have I done something wrong? Sitting in one place too long?

Yes too both.
A google on ST or especially Marathon ST tires has pages of reading from all different types of trailering forums (not just RVs).

I've pulled trailer for hire and to RV since the late '50s. Tire makers have always recommended rotating tires on a loaded trailer 45 or 90 or 180 degrees in a certain time period that sit for long periods. I don't rotate my empty equipment trailers tires as they have little weight on them however they never sit but a few weeks at a time.
My 5er can sit from Nov to March/April. I rotate then 45 degrees twice during that time period.

I don't use ST tires on any of my trailers because of the same type experience(s) you had. I use all P or LT on all of my trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You guys are hilarious. Every time there is a tire thread, you guys see this as an opportunity to beat the dead horse some more. Yes, I'm pointing to both sides now.

Please. Give it a rest.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The title of the thread is "Tire Problems" and is again about ST tires failing. You try to sell people into staying with these cheap tires that fail within 1 to 3 years and at very low miles. The failures occur whether one parks on gavel outside or in a garage on boards. The only maintenance issue is that these tires generally are not up to the job on large boat, horse, travel or equipment trailers, yet the manufacturers that pay very little for them, continue to stick people with them OEM on large 5th wheels.

People come to this and other forums looking for answers after 1 or 2 failures. The long term solution is to dump ST tires. Maintenance is yet another one of your sales smoke screens, just like safety and rules that do not exist!

Even you were going to dump them a year or so ago, until someone asked you how you could continue to promote the product after ditching it yourself. That certainly helps lead one to believe you have "handlers" that would not continue to provide what ever it is that they provide to you.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
kedanie wrote:
FastEagle wrote:
When the RV trailer is required to set in one place for extended periods, the owner should try and to reposition (rotate) the tires 180 degrees every 90 days - or more often - if possible. Tire manufacturers use a lot of chemicals to help prevent ozone damage, aging and weather checking - just to name a few. Over long periods of time those chemicals will migrate to the bottom of the tire leaving all areas above them unprotected. Our cars, trucks, etc. are not normally idle for long periods and do not suffer from the lack of protection.

Another beneficial safety precaution would be to provide a barrier between the surface the tire is parked on and the tire. Over long periods of inactivity water can permeate into the tire treads and decay them along with the tires innerliner and maybe even the carcass.

FastEagle

So, is that how you made those 22 ST tires you went through in a 10 year period last so long?

Keith

OK, what's that got to do with the topic above?

FE

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
FastEagle wrote:

FastEagle

So, is that how you made those 22 ST tires you went through in a 10 year period last so long?

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran