Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire question?

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some advice here.

We purchased a used 2011 Montana 3150RL 5th wheel late last fall. GVWR on it is just under 14000 lbs. We didn’t get a chance to use it last year at all. We towed it home 2 hours away and then just winterized it and put it right into storage. This is our first 5th wheel so we are a bit green on the subject. We have had a few camping rigs before, a popup, TT, and a class C.

It came with Marathon 235/80R 16E tires dates on them are from the year 2012. I felt the guy I purchased the unit from was pretty straight up with me on all issues including telling me of any problems he knew about with the unit as a whole. He did take very nice care of the unit as a whole. He did tell me he had read about all the negative stuff on the Marathon tires but they have never given him any problems. He used the rig mainly to winter in AZ from MI each year. We have stayed in touch and he has been a good source of info even after the sale. He wanted to sell the unit do to age and health.

The tires look very good on the unit. I don’t see any dry rot, or cracking and they have plenty of tread. I know that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be replaced.

Now for my question would you replace these tires? If so what you put on it. I like to be frugal, but not at the expense of any ones safety or extra headaches. If I do replace them I am looking more for quality over price. I get a general feeling that Sailuns, Maxxis, Carlisle, and maybe Goodyear Endurance might all be good choices.

We are retired this year and the DW and I don’t plan any long trips with it this year. Just spending some time in our home town in norther MI and some time in the MI UP. Alaska is on our bucket list for maybe next year. DW thinks I am going a bit overboard thinking about replacing the tires right off the bat. She says wait until next year before we do a long haul somewhere. I feel like every time I do something like that Murphy’s laws kicks in bites me in the behind.

BTW I do plan on install an EezTire TPMS system and doing all tires on the truck and trailer just to keep a watchful eye on things.

I know plenty of folks around here have way more experience with all of this then I do. We both agreed to see what you folks have to say and let that be our guide. What say you, replace because they are aged out or use 1 more year?

Thanks, Bob
2017 Chevy Duramax LTZ with Z71
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2 Hathaway Edition
25 REPLIES 25

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
If I had a set of NEW Goodyear Marathons I would replace them. They have a terrible reputation. Why wait another year. Just put the new tires on now and be done with it.

B.O.

I put 5 plus years and over 10k miles on my OEM Marathons and never had an ounce of trouble from them.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
I think how close the tires run near max load is a huge factor in tire life. A friend went 6 years on tires that were running 600 lbs under max weight. Me in a slightly lighter, brand new rig was running smaller tires right at the max load. I started getting tread separation at 3.5 years and lost 4 tires over the next 6 months.

Love your username. See it in my future.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Goodyear, Sailun and Maxis have good reviews.

any_rd_but_main
Explorer
Explorer
Goodyear has a new American made tire called the Endurance in several sizes I heard Jayco is putting them on all their new rigs I have had Marthons on my last 2 5th wheels never had a problem guess I was lucky for the last 9 years just don't over inflate overload and keep it aroud 65 seemed to have kept me out of trouble so far But theres always tomorrow

MPcolonel
Explorer
Explorer
I always look for "E" rated tires and have METAL valve stems installed.
Marc
Always Enchanted 🙂

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might get lucky and see the weight rating of the wheel if you crawl underneath and check. However some wheels ratings' can only be found with the tire off the wheel, as the weights are in the valley between the bead profiles.

With 6,000 lb. axles you could be fine with LT tires, but LT tires are rated for 3042 lbs. AT your GVWR of 14,000 lbs. you ideally would have about 11,200 lbs. distributed equally on all 4 tires, which would equate to 2800 lbs./wheel. That would give you about 200 lbs. of cushion. However if all the tires/wheels are not loaded equally you could be looking at, say 3500 lbs. on one tire with a corresponding lesser amount on other tires. The would put you about 500 lbs. over the weight rating of your tire.

I have weighed all my wheels and discover I have a variation of over 500 lbs. between tires.

With the GVWR of your trailer, without knowing actual weights, I would go with a "G" rated tire. Provided of course that your wheels would handle the increased pressure. I prefer Sailun tires because of the very good service I've gotten from them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
I just went through all the book work that came with the camper and it says it has a Mor/ryde suspension with Dexter Axels but doesn’t say what capacity.

Then I also went back through some pictures we took of the rig when we first looked at it when we were deciding on purchase or not. I had taken a picture of the placard on the side of the trailer.

It says.
“GVWR 6282KG (13850 LB)”
“GAWR (Each AXLE) 2722KG (6000 LB)”

I guess I am learning just how much I don’t know about all of this. Thank you all for the education.

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
If I crawl under the rig with a flash light will I be able to see the PSI rating stamped into the rim? Or do I have to pull a tire to get to the stamping on the rim?

If I have to pull a tire is it ok to jack with a floor jack or bottle jack on the bottom of the axel right by the U bolts where the springs connect?

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
I just blew the same tire tueday on my way back from Bristol.Build date was 2013 so replacing them all with sailun. And I was very lucky there was no damage notice the smoke and wheeled it over right away. The tread was rapped around the drum that's all.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replace them!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
FWIW we have a 2010 Fuzion. It came with 235/80R-16 ST tires rated at 3450 lbs. These tires were mounted on Dexter 7,000 lb. axles that had been derated to 6800 lbs. so the tires would equal the rating.

It's very possible the OP has 7,000 lb. rated axles and those wheels, as ours were, could be rated to 110 psi. To state positively that his wheels are only rated to 80 psi may be leaping to conclusions until they have been checked. My wheels with the same size tires were rated to 110 psi, and they were also on a year older Keystone.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
I realize I wasn’t very clear in my post. I wouldn’t say the camper has not travels much at all in the last year. It’s made a run from MI to Phoenix AZ each spring and each fall every year. Then the previous owners camped tough out MI for summer trips. I agree sketchy tires and the possible $$ repairs is a big influence in this decision.

I hear you on the searches and all the info I have read through a big chuck of that stuff. To the point I still feel like I am still in a gray area. Maybe just gray by our own making.

I will do more reading on Michelin Ribs and Bridgestone R250’s. I was under the assumption that the Sailum’s were not made in the US. I thought I read they were made in China. I would prefer to stick with a US made product if possible. The only reason I tossed them into the mix is they seem to have good reviews. I think I read somewhere that the Marathons were manufactured in the US at one point then went out of the country (when the problems started) then came back to the US. In any case I don’t think I want to take a chance on them.

Amen to the beating I have taken a few of them over the 45 years. That would just about be my luck to get new ones and have one blow and damage the rig. I would just humbly head right to the virtual wood shed waiting for DW and my flogging to start. I forgot to mention crows fly around our house because they know they are part of my normal marital diet.

Not sure on axles and the GAWR it’s still at our county fairgrounds in one of the barns there. I can’t get it out until next Saturday. It does have 8 lug rims on it that’s for sure.

I guess it didn't sink in until now that if I was going with a tire that could handle heaver weights 4080# it would take 110 psi and put me over my rims rating. Maybe that makes the Endurance a reasonable trade off for me. We are making it our goal to travel as light as possible. But I bet a whole lot of people have that goal and don't realize how it all adds up. At some point I want to get the whole rig weighted. I do know the truck weighs in at 7920 with the hitch in and the wife and I and full of fuel.

I am getting the feeling it would be a wise move to just replace them.

Thanks for all the opinions shared.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well......

Those GY Marathon 235/80R 16E are only rated at 3420# @ 80 psi (13,680# total capacity)

So I bet you have 6000# axles also.

Those Marathons have enough load capacity especially with amount of pin wet being carried by truck (probably 2800# at least) so 5rv axle weight would be 10,880# or less (doubt you are towing at GVWR)

I would replace those 5 yr PLUS old tires.

New set of 235/80R 16E-----Goodyear Endurance have been getting good reveiws
Same load rating (3420# @ 80 psi)

Your rims are only good for 80 psi so going to higher load rating at higher psi would require new rims and tires. Not necessary for your axle weights
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We are retired this year and the DW and I don’t plan any long trips with it this year. Just spending some time in our home town in norther MI and some time in the MI UP. Alaska is on our bucket list for maybe next year. DW thinks I am going a bit overboard thinking about replacing the tires right off the bat. She says wait until next year before we do a long haul somewhere. I feel like every time I do something like that Murphy’s laws kicks in bites me in the behind.

BTW I do plan on install an EezTire TPMS system and doing all tires on the truck and trailer just to keep a watchful eye on things.

I know plenty of folks around here have way more experience with all of this then I do. We both agreed to see what you folks have to say and let that be our guide. What say you, replace because they are aged out or use 1 more year?

Thanks, Bob

I have a wife and like the vast majority of wives she also is clueless about when tires on a trailer need to be dumped....and she admits it. Its not a knock on women as most have zero experience with the subject of tires/trailers as do many men.

As other have asked which tire depends on your trailers axle ratings.

For 6k-5.2k axles the LT235/85-16 E 3042 lbs capacity/80 psi Bridgestone R-250 and Michelin Ribs. These are a commercial class tire with all steel ply carcass. The XPS Ribs are pricey which makes the lower price R-250 the most picked.

For 7k axles I wouldn't recommend any of the load E 80 psi ST class tires on a trailer that heavy for long highway trips.
The commercial class all steel ply carcass Sailun S637 in a ST235/80-16 G 4080 lb capacity at 110 psi is the most popular tire on the market for rv trailers and regional service work trailers. These tires are very affordable for what your getting.
Also the Goodyear G614 LT235/85-16 G at 3750 lb/110 psi also another all steel ply commercial class tires. The G614 are pricey.
Both tires need 110 psi rated wheels.

The only fabric carcass tire I see used on regional service trailers on haulers websites with good success in a Provider ST load E/80 psi class tire. These type trailers are on the road 52 weeks a year and can wear out two sets a year (40k-60k miles per set). Now if your trailer sits most of the time and makes short trips then most of the new gen ST tires E/80 psi with the higher speed rating may work for you.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides