cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire recommendations for 5th wheel

jbemsc1
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone one know if a light truck tire is recommended instead of the tires that come from the factory. I have been told that I should consider a light truck tire.
32 REPLIES 32

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"You are getting darn close to those G114's weight rating of 4805, if thats what I assume you are running . Where do you go from there ??"

4,805# is the "Rating" that does NOT mean they blow up at 4,806#. I have ZERO concern running close to or even MAX tire rating. That is what they are DESIGNED to do.

My truck didn't blow up now that I am 610# over factory RAWR.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
jbemsc1 wrote:
Does anyone one know if a light truck tire is recommended instead of the tires that come from the factory. I have been told that I should consider a light truck tire.

5th wheel trailers come in all sizes from 5000 GVWR and maybe 14" tires with maybe 1500 lbs per tire.
And bigger units up to well above 20000 lbs with large 17.5" tires with 6000 lb capacity per tire .

The last 6-8 years we have a much better new gen ST tires for us to choose as a good long term replacement.

Sooo...what is your trailer OEM tire size description and load range.....and just as important how many miles per year will the trailer be used. And will it see lots of highway road miles per year vs camping a few time a year 100 miles away.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"And of course the G rated, but some wheels didn't meet the weight ratings of the tires"

This is where people get all screwed up! Our 02 Avion Platinum 32.5' had US Made GY Wrangler "E" tires from the Factory. They were at or near max rating. Steel wheels so I have no idea if they were 80 or higher psi. I installed GY "G" tires and ran them at 85psi because that was the lowest number on the chart I had. That allowed for 5psi over chart per GY when upping load range. Ran tires for several years and many thousands of miles with perfect tread wear.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I have used Michelin XPS Ribs LT tires on my 2007 5er almost since new. And they are great. Have never even had a low tire. And the ride is better than the original ST tires I replaced. But you do need to be aware of the weights. As mentioned above, the LTs I have are rated for 3,042 lbs. But that works great for me as my total weight is about 12,500 lbs of which about 2,500 is on the pin.

And most likely just 6K axles ???

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Wont run anything but LTs. Bridgestone Duravis R250. I dont get caught up in all the capacity numbers like some of the propeller heads in here. Simply holding a good LT tire in one hand and a shitty ST in the other tells the story. No comparison...

Well sure you won't . Your toy hauler has a dry weight of 8755 Gross of 11,900, and a pin of 2035. Loaded to your max GVWR, and being conservative at 20% on the pin you are about 2380 per tire ???? Why not run LT's @ 3042 per tire.

There are some of us propeller heads running just a tad more then 2380 per tire. I am sure you don't get caught up in capacity numbers either at your weigh.

What are U talking ABOOT EH?????

I am "ONLY" 4,360# average per tire. More recently I have gained a few pounds and now running 4,495# per tire average.

You are getting darn close to those G114's weight rating of 4805, if thats what I assume you are running . Where do you go from there ??

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
jbemsc1 wrote:

FIRST thing what size and load range tires are you running and second thing what weight are on all 4 tires??????

So until you answer these questions all you are going to hear is "BLA BLA BLA".

This should be fun :B

No fun unless the OP gives enough info to receive a worthwhile answer.

Lot's of people "recommend" LT tires on RV's. Don't think anyone "OFFICIALLY" recommends LT tires on RV's???

I know of no one that officially recommends Lt's ,just individuals that their weight will let them, then it makes sense.

Back in 2008 when I bought my previous fifth wheel, and they had those terrible E rated China made tires on them, a lot of guys were going to Lt's , better then nothing, but did not meet their weight ratings. And of course the G rated, but some wheels didn't meet the weight ratings of the tires. now we are where we are now. much better choices ,and certainly not E rated LT's unless the weigh rating allows it .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Wont run anything but LTs. Bridgestone Duravis R250. I dont get caught up in all the capacity numbers like some of the propeller heads in here. Simply holding a good LT tire in one hand and a shitty ST in the other tells the story. No comparison...

Well sure you won't . Your toy hauler has a dry weight of 8755 Gross of 11,900, and a pin of 2035. Loaded to your max GVWR, and being conservative at 20% on the pin you are about 2380 per tire ???? Why not run LT's @ 3042 per tire.

There are some of us propeller heads running just a tad more then 2380 per tire. I am sure you don't get caught up in capacity numbers either at your weigh.

What are U talking ABOOT EH?????

I am "ONLY" 4,360# average per tire. More recently I have gained a few pounds and now running 4,495# per tire average.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
jbemsc1 wrote:

FIRST thing what size and load range tires are you running and second thing what weight are on all 4 tires??????

No fun unless the OP gives enough info to receive a worthwhile answer.

Lot's of people "recommend" LT tires on RV's. Don't think anyone "OFFICIALLY" recommends LT tires on RV's???

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have used Michelin XPS Ribs LT tires on my 2007 5er almost since new. And they are great. Have never even had a low tire. And the ride is better than the original ST tires I replaced. But you do need to be aware of the weights. As mentioned above, the LTs I have are rated for 3,042 lbs. But that works great for me as my total weight is about 12,500 lbs of which about 2,500 is on the pin.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
jbemsc1 wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jbemsc1 wrote:

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
An E rated LT truck tire is rated for 3042 lbs. Times 4 they'll hold 12,168 lbs. Figuring around 2,000 lbs on the hitch you can have a total 5th wheel trailer weight around 14,000 lbs. So, if that's your trailer you can run E rated LT truck tires like Michelins. Otherwise get a higher load rating or try Good Year Endurance trailer tires. Most of all stay away from any tire made in China due to the dubious quality of their tires.

My first 5th wheel was a dual axle and rated at 14,500 gross pounds. I ran Michelin truck tires on it without incident. My current trailer is triple axle which is perfect for a truck tire as it only carries 2600 lbs on each tire at it's gross weight of 19,000 lbs. I've been running Michelin XPS Ribs commercial truck tires on it for 6 years without incident. I'm getting new tires soon.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome! If your 5er came with Load Range D tires and you stay with trailer tires, move up a Load Range to Es at least IMO. Weight ratings are the key. And mark your electronic calendar to replace them all in five years.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad