Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

Wlhm
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am going to replace my cheap Chinese tires ST 235/80/16 E with the Sailun S637 235/85/16 G tires. Question is can I use the current 80 series spare on one wheel and the Sailuns 85 series on the other 3 wheels for a short distance? Or should I just replace all 5 tires? It is only .9 inch difference in overall tire size.

Thanks

Bill
12 REPLIES 12

Wlhm
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you

-Bill

SunBirds
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, Sailun Tires are carried by Carroll Tires (http://www.carrolltire.com/), a wholesaler. Unfortunately the closest one to you is in Sacramento (888-212-0150). You might want to call them to see if they have them in stock; if they say they don't have the 235/80/R16, ask them to search for "article number/product code 5541960". Your local tire store should be able to order them. Hope this helps.
Al & Deb
2017 Dutch Star 4369
2019 F150 Toad

lak356
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the sailun website contact customer care service tell them where you live they will give you the closest distributor/ wholesale. for the size you need

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like my Sailun and inflate them to around 100 psi. I've got about 12,000 lbs. loaded on 3 axles/6 tires.

Personally if I had a good tire to use as a spare, I would. Unless you're going to rotate the tires. I wouldn't buy a new tire to use as a spare unless I had no good tire.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Wlhm
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies. I realized after posting my question, why not upgrade the spare also. Saving $200 is not a game changer in dollars but having the correct matching tire could be.

I was aware Sailun had a 235/80/16 G tire but could not find it locally. I will have to do more checking. Can those of you who have the 80 series S637 tell me where you found them? My local Big O tire center says they can only get the 85 series tires. Having the 80 series would be nice then I would only need to change 4 tires not 5.

How do you like the Sailun G rated tires and do you run 110 psi or follow an inflation chart similar to Goodyear?

lak356
Explorer
Explorer
Bill sailun makes this tire in 235 80 16 I just purchased a set

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
It won't make a noticeable difference if used as a spare to get to the next tire shop.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m not a tire expert but IMHO running a single โ€œ80-Eโ€ tire with three โ€œ85-Gโ€ tires, for long term use, would cause a serious alignment issue. The โ€œ80โ€ tires are not as tall as the โ€œ85โ€ tires and the โ€œEโ€ tire will be softer (and lower) then the โ€œGโ€ tire when loaded. Both of which will cause the axle height of the โ€œ80-Eโ€ tire to run lower thereby causing the alignment issue. You might get by if you had a pair of โ€œ80-Eโ€ tires on one axle and a pair of โ€œ85-Gโ€ tires on the other axle.

To be safe, I recommend you replace all five tires with the same size. However, if you want to keep the โ€œ80-Eโ€ tire for a spare โ€“ remember that the โ€œspace saverโ€ spare tire in most cars is smaller than the mounted standard tire and the auto engineers determined that you should be able to get by with it safely for a very short distance in good weather and good driving conditions. But, can you be sure that you will need and use that spare โ€œ80-Eโ€ tire in good conditions only?
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
My spare is slightly different size. But in 9 years I have never rotated my trailer tires, and my spare has never been on the ground. But it will be fine to get me to a tire shop if I have a flat.

Of note, my tires are not 9 yrs old. They have been replaced. And spare was replaced when I picked up a slightly used, almost same size, tire 3 yrs ago.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I only bought new tires to put under the toyhauler. I saved one of the old tires for a spare. I hated the thought of spending good money to, hopefully, just sit under the trailer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Sure if you never have a flat it won,the matter. if you want to rotate your tires then maye 5 tires should be in your future. ?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
Why not go with S637 235/80/16 G and fageddaboudit?
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto