cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To Many 5th Wheels models-Update

fishkiller
Explorer
Explorer
I know just pick the floor plan you like But....

Looking to upgrade out of the camper No storage.

Trying to keep it 35 ft or less. Mid to upper quality rigs

try to CAMP in places without hook ups sometimes

Buying new.

Going to look at arctic fox tomorrow 4 hours away. 29-t/k or 32-m. No dealer closer by. Would not like to drive that far for any work that needed to be done. is the 32-m to long for some of the Oregon Washington Idaho campgrounds? pros cons from somebody that owns theses models. Options needed. Don't like the blow up bed.

Looked at some longer bighorn 357SE to long, Heartland big country not really impressed. 1 battery box?

Looked at a redwood 31 SL under 35 ft kinda nice a little too nice, I don't want to live in it, but some real wood, nice larger bath, auto level, air ride hitch. Fancy and Pricey. Hows the customer support/quality doing these days. Any better or worse than most of the industry. Ha Ha.

Hard to keep track of all these models. I don't think any had disc brakes. Are disc brakes a nice upgrade??

Do I need to get a fancy B W hitch for my 2008 dodge DRW or will some of the {lesser} hitches work as far as ride goes. No Chucking and soo on, ride is important to me. Still younger so I can still lift.

Will keep updating as the search continues heading to Nevada over the weekend in the camper to look and visit friends and find the perfect 5th wheel!!..........For me anyway.
23 REPLIES 23

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Floor plan, Floor Plan, Floor plan! It is about the Floor Plan, just like real estate. If there is a problem with the everyday things, (cooking, closets, storage, even the toilet), even small things down the road you will have problems, and end up losing money or giving up on camping altogether! Arctic Fox is a good unit, butl make sure the floor plan fits YOUR needs. Then you can ask yourself, "is the type of camping I do justify the extra cost?" You must be completely satisfied with the rig on all points before going forward. Do not be afraid to ask questions, search the web, as well as here to get answers! Good luck!

fishkiller
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
We were shopping and found a 30ft bumper pull and a 38ft 5th wheel that we liked. I wanted the 30 ft for some of the reasons you listed. We decided on the 38ft 5th wheel. I'm glad we did. The extra room provides an apartment feel vs. an RV feel. Plenty of room for visitors...we've had as many as 8 inside for a sitdown dinner.

We have always been able to find a spot to park in our travels. I have found there are numerous private RV Parks/Campgrounds located near national and state parks and other tourist destinations. You may not find something within a few miles but we are willing to drive 25-50 miles to get from where we stay to sight see for the day.

The first time we were stuck inside for several days due to bad weather we were glad we had the 38 feet to live in. She took over the living room and kitchen and I was able to get away into the bedroom area and watch movies or read if we got on each others nerves.

I know how that goes, I have been looking at larger and larger rigs as my search continues. Kind of like my boats over the years larger and larger. The bigger they are though the less I use them. Case in point Santa Cruz harbor closed and I cant trailer my current boat out of the harbor right now. salmon opener soon.

fishkiller
Explorer
Explorer
2hams wrote:
I searched for nearly a year, trying to stay under 35', and ended up with a Grand Design Reflection 303. We've had it since late 2013 and have about 18000 miles on it. We're still very happy with the unit, the floor plan, and Grand Design customer support is outstanding.

I will be looking at grand design this weekend. Have heard great things about there customer service and quality here and other boards Thanks

fishkiller
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Built on their own frames vs Lippert frames make Northwood products pretty appealing to say the least. They have had outstanding customer response so far.
The others, mass marketed same old same old.
Thunder RV or Apache camping centers seem to both do a good job for their customers.

Thanks, Yes I am aware of the Lippert frames and axles.. mass market products yea, I know as I have a lance camper..... When I decide and I am hopefull and leaning towards northwood, I will make the trip up north. Thanks

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I have become a fan of mobile RV repair companies. They come to you and can do the warranty work. My dealer is over three hours away and the local shop has a six week back log. I called the mfg and said I'm not driving three hours one way or waiting months for a repair and they set me up with the mobile RV repair company. Repairs will be done this week only ten days after I called and that's with the new A/C having to be shipped.

And I'll just say I'm a B&W fan, nothing fancy just a great hitch.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Check with Artic Fox, before purchase, to see if another qualified, non AF dealer closer to you can do the warranty work. I think most manufacturers will work with you.

Actually the B&W hitches are more functional, than fancy, but do have a nice powder coat finish. While not entry level priced, they are not overly expensive. Lots of hitches to choose from, don't buy entry level. Quality used would be better IMO.

Jerry

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
I searched for nearly a year, trying to stay under 35', and ended up with a Grand Design Reflection 303. We've had it since late 2013 and have about 18000 miles on it. We're still very happy with the unit, the floor plan, and Grand Design customer support is outstanding.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We were shopping and found a 30ft bumper pull and a 38ft 5th wheel that we liked. I wanted the 30 ft for some of the reasons you listed. We decided on the 38ft 5th wheel. I'm glad we did. The extra room provides an apartment feel vs. an RV feel. Plenty of room for visitors...we've had as many as 8 inside for a sitdown dinner.

We have always been able to find a spot to park in our travels. I have found there are numerous private RV Parks/Campgrounds located near national and state parks and other tourist destinations. You may not find something within a few miles but we are willing to drive 25-50 miles to get from where we stay to sight see for the day.

The first time we were stuck inside for several days due to bad weather we were glad we had the 38 feet to live in. She took over the living room and kitchen and I was able to get away into the bedroom area and watch movies or read if we got on each others nerves.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Built on their own frames vs Lippert frames make Northwood products pretty appealing to say the least. They have had outstanding customer response so far.
The others, mass marketed same old same old.
Thunder RV or Apache camping centers seem to both do a good job for their customers.