cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Vehichle Concerns

Lyncro
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about trading my KZ Spree for a Grand Design 303RLS 33' 5er. My TV is a 2013 2500 HD Silverado 6.0 with the 310 axle ratio. The RV dealer assures me the TV will have no trouble towing but my owners manual says I need the 410 axle. Any insight would be appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Lyncro wrote:
Thinking about trading my KZ Spree for a Grand Design 303RLS 33' 5er. My TV is a 2013 2500 HD Silverado 6.0 with the 310 axle ratio. The RV dealer assures me the TV will have no trouble towing but my owners manual says I need the 410 axle. Any insight would be appreciated.
Don't believe the salesman!! You need the 4.10 axle to pull that weight but you also need to check on available payload to carry the rather high pin weight.
IMHO you are asking too much of that truck.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
shadoow wrote:
when the dealer/salesman tells you your truck can tow that trailer he/she is probably right.

Really? You don't think because they want to sell you something they will tell you anything?

yea, really. Oftentimes the ability of a truck to pull a trailer is not an issue so when the sales person tells someone their truck can tow a particular trailer, they may very well be right. To me towing a trailer and pulling a trailer mean the same thing. If by 'towing' you include the ability of the truck to carry the pin weight, then that's different. Maybe just a matter of semantics. Anyhoo, as far as the sales person goes, i agree they'll tell you anything (and that's not limited to truck/trailer towing). Knowing yourself what can and cannot work for your truck/trailer gets you past that 'discussion'.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
shadoow wrote:
when the dealer/salesman tells you your truck can tow that trailer he/she is probably right.

Really? You don't think because they want to sell you something they will tell you anything?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Get the towing specs for your truck, dont believe the salesman, he probably has no knowledge of what you need like most sales people. Avoid personal opinions and get the facts if you really want to know.
HR

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jim&OB, it seems that 13 GM with 6.0, 3.73, and 6-speed, is quite under rated, for whatever reason?

My 13 250 4x4, with 6.2, 3.73, is rated 12,300. It is hard to believe that the 4.10 in the GM would make 4,000#s difference, compared to their 3.73.

To me, it would just be towing one gear lower with the 3.73. How ever, I have never driven a GM 6.0.

JMO, Jerry

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
GM specs shows the 3.73 gears is rated from 9300 up to 10200 lbs.

If that is the case......the Grand Design is too much trailer.

A trip across the scales will confirm.

Think the OP is aware his truck is not up to it......
"my owners manual says I need the 410 axle"
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The '13 2500 GM with the 6.0 comes with 3.73 or a 4.10 gears.

GM specs shows the 3.73 gears is rated from 9300 up to 10200 lbs.

GM specs shows the 4.10 gears is rated from 13800 up to 14700 lbs. All above depending on cab selections.

The Trailer mfg says the 303 RLS has a 11995 GVWR and a 2800 CCC. No doubt the truck can pull it but IMO you won't like the low performance in the hills or high wind areas.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pretty sure you have 3:73 rear diff. gearing
You should have 13,000# tow rating

That 5vr has a GVWR of 12K

So go weigh your truck 'camp ready' (you, all passengers, fuel, stuff in cab, stuff in bed /hitch---200#/)

Subtract your trucks camp ready weight from the trucks GVWR... available payload

Got enough payload to handle 2400# of 5vr pin weight (room on Rear axle, rear tires)??
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dballentine
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you have a 3.10 diff? In 2014, the 2500HD with 6.0L was only available with a 4.10 or optional 3.73. For 2015, it's 4.10 only. I'd be really surprised if in 2013 they offered a 3.10 ratio. That's really tall gearing for an HD truck.
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ D/A CC LB SRW Z71
Amateur Radio KQ3T, licensed since 1965

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would not take the sales persons word. You are right to be asking, and check on weight carrying #s as mentioned. What is the FW GVWR #?

Are you sure your truck has a 310 axle ratio?

Jerry

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
when the dealer/salesman tells you your truck can tow that trailer he/she is probably right. What you have to watch for is whether the truck can handle the weight of the trailer when hitched. This is usually the most limiting. Your truck manual and driver door stickers will tell you the weight and towing limits for your truck and you should follow those.... although many do not.