cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Doubles

Greg_The_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
I am a Michigander with a CDL and proper endorsements pulling a fifth wheel with a ball hitch motorcycle trailer behind. Total length is less than 65' . We've towed all over, and want current input regarding lawful towing in Alabama and Georgia. I would appreciate SPECIFIC reference to statute, not generalities. And advice is appreciated
"It's Hammertime"
2014 F250 King Ranch
2011 Jayco Eagle 31.5 Super Lite fifth wheel
2005 Custom Enclosed motorcycle trailer
2008 Harley Electra Glide Classic
57 REPLIES 57

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
At least you could drive it away. It would suck if it were a boat or ATV trailer ๐Ÿ˜ž
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I was pulling when the FL local told me to unhook.

Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go sit on the side of Highway 60 in the East Valley of Phoenix and see all the rigs from all over the country towing, boats, jeeps four down, Quads on trailers behind 5th wheels. We even had a guy show up a couple years ago with a 40' MH, SUV in tow, with a small box trailer behind the SUV. If you talk to some of these guys they will tell you they tow all over the country and never have a problem. There is an AZ DOT enforcement officer that hands out in Gold Canyon and pulls over commercial trucks for inspection. I have never seen him with a RVer pulled over.

One the more interesting things I saw towed South was a guy that show up with a long cargo trailer. Inside was his Germary Airplane that is made to come apart to be transported. He said it took several people to slide the two piece high wing pieces in phace.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
This guy heads (for 14 years now) South every winter thru Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia to Northern Florida and never had a second glance by those states finest.

'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing that is considered is "most" states that have a major interstate running through them, going across country or from top to bottom, allow double towing so as the truckers that leave Texas, for example, don't have to make a huge detour around somewhere like Alabama. They are allowed a straight shot. Florida is not in the straight shot, so they don't allow, although while running my double towing through there, I did see UPS, FEDEX, and Conway trucks double towing. I didn't get that!
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
Either state is fine with double towing, but if you get into Florida, you may get pulled over.
My experience was going down into Florida one year, pulling my 33' 5er and my Jeep Wrangler behind that. I made it down to Destin, did my weeks worth of fun, and on the wat back home, I passed through the Jacksonville area, when I got word from the local LEO while I was fueling, that if I didn't disconnect the Jeep, I would surely get a ticket when I pulled back out on the road. I disconnected, drove about 40 miles out of town and hooked it back up and drove on into my home state.
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped

Greg_The_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Francesca Knowles... What you said makes sense, thanks for the input. Regardless, iI hope the judge tosses my ticket. I'll post my outcome.
"It's Hammertime"
2014 F250 King Ranch

Greg_The_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Greg The Hammer wrote:
This is my defense I will use in court in hopes that the judge tosses my ticket.

Florida Statute 322.031 (4)
A nonresident who is at least 21 years of age and who has in his or her immediate possession a valid commercial driverโ€™s license issued in substantial compliance with the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 may operate a motor vehicle of the type permitted by his or her license to be operated in this state.

That likely won't help you, since any ticket you'd get in a no-doubles State would be equipment-related, not a driver's license violation.

The language above is boilerplate reciprocal-agreement stuff that only affects driver licensing. States honor driver's licences issued by other states. It allows you to drive anything up to your endorsement so long as the equipment itself is legal in the State. You may not disregard equipment restrictions imposed by the State you're "visiting".
"It's Hammertime"
2014 F250 King Ranch

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Greg The Hammer wrote:
I think Mississippi is the only state allowing two ball couplings when pulling doubles.

It's allowed in Colorado. Seen quite a few! I double tow, but with my 5er and boat. Don't think I fancy two ball couplings! :E
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Greg The Hammer wrote:
This is my defense I will use in court in hopes that the judge tosses my ticket.

A nonresident who is at least 21 years of age and who has in his or her immediate possession a valid commercial driverโ€™s license issued in substantial compliance with the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 may operate a motor vehicle of the type permitted by his or her license to be operated in this state.

That likely won't help you, since any ticket you'd get in a no-doubles State would be equipment-related, not a driver's license violation.

The language above is boilerplate reciprocal-agreement stuff that only affects driver licensing. States honor driver's licences issued by other states. It allows you to drive anything up to your endorsement so long as the equipment itself is legal in the State. You may not disregard equipment restrictions imposed by the State you're "visiting".
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is not the answer you are looking for but if you are just going straight through to go home ain't no body going to bother you unless you are trying to do something stupid like going through a drive-thru or something.

I would hammer down and take it to the house.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Greg_The_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, not really.... I have tried all these suggestions. I called Georgia State Police - they referred me to GA DOT, and they are ignoring my request for a determination. I'm running in circles. I'll probably leave Florida and make a dash through Georgia for Tennessee where I'm legal. Again, I have researched this exhaustively online, made phone calls, and sent emails. If any legal eagles out there can site SPECIFIC statutes prohibiting this, I would appreciate being made aware. The Florida statute I was sited with is buried in the height, width, and weight statute, all of which I am legal, except for a sentence included which prohibits more than two coupled units. Doesn't matter that the first coupling is a fifth wheel. I think Mississippi is the only state allowing two ball couplings when pulling doubles.
"It's Hammertime"
2014 F250 King Ranch

Greg_The_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer

"It's Hammertime"
2014 F250 King Ranch

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Greg The Hammer wrote:
Thanks everyone who replied. Be advised I have scoured the statutes in both Alabama and Georgia, and can find no prohibition. This is why I asked for specific statutes in those states if anyone was aware of them. The references some suggested I use claim it is illegal in these two states, yet I find no prohibition in any if my research. Also, for the purposes of this discussion, even though the definition has been discussed to death, I refer to it in the same scope as the State of Michigan, where I am licensed and registered. In Michigan, it is referred to as towing 'Recreational Doubles'. Also, I have read about all those who tow doubles in Florida with no issues. Well, leave it to me to encounter an FHP trooper with trainee in tow, as he taught her how to 'write tickets'. I have calls and written requests in to both Alabama and Georgia DOT's for a determination, and am getting no where. I just thought there might be someone familiar with the specific laws in these states who could shed some light.

Don't call the DOT office. They know squat. Call the State police in the states. They are the ones that enforce the laws. I have talked to Sargants every time I got my answers.;)
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Greg_The_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
In Florida they count number of 'couplings' Can not have more than two units coupled together.
"It's Hammertime"
2014 F250 King Ranch