cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Doubles

Greg_The_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
I am a Michigander with a CDL and proper endorsements pulling a fifth wheel with a ball hitch motorcycle trailer behind. Total length is less than 65' . We've towed all over, and want current input regarding lawful towing in Alabama and Georgia. I would appreciate SPECIFIC reference to statute, not generalities. And advice is appreciated
"It's Hammertime"
2014 F250 King Ranch
2011 Jayco Eagle 31.5 Super Lite fifth wheel
2005 Custom Enclosed motorcycle trailer
2008 Harley Electra Glide Classic
57 REPLIES 57

Greg_The_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone who replied. Be advised I have scoured the statutes in both Alabama and Georgia, and can find no prohibition. This is why I asked for specific statutes in those states if anyone was aware of them. The references some suggested I use claim it is illegal in these two states, yet I find no prohibition in any if my research. Also, for the purposes of this discussion, even though the definition has been discussed to death, I refer to it in the same scope as the State of Michigan, where I am licensed and registered. In Michigan, it is referred to as towing 'Recreational Doubles'. Also, I have read about all those who tow doubles in Florida with no issues. Well, leave it to me to encounter an FHP trooper with trainee in tow, as he taught her how to 'write tickets'. I have calls and written requests in to both Alabama and Georgia DOT's for a determination, and am getting no where. I just thought there might be someone familiar with the specific laws in these states who could shed some light.
"It's Hammertime"
2014 F250 King Ranch
2011 Jayco Eagle 31.5 Super Lite fifth wheel
2005 Custom Enclosed motorcycle trailer
2008 Harley Electra Glide Classic

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Don't trust the sites that compile the laws. You, Greg The Hammer, need to contact the states and find the details for yourself. If it were me, I wouldn't trust anything I read here or on a non-official state site when it comes to this.

And "GTH".....the question, discussion, etc. - has been on here numerous times in the past.

Don't wait for replies - Use the search function to visit those threads. Search archives for threads older than last 12 months.

Happy researching!..:)

~

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Greg The Hammer wrote:
I am a Michigander with a CDL and proper endorsements pulling a fifth wheel with a ball hitch motorcycle trailer behind. Total length is less than 65' . We've towed all over, and want current input regarding lawful towing in Alabama and Georgia. I would appreciate SPECIFIC reference to statute, not generalities. And advice is appreciated

All states should have their Statutes on line, so best suggestion is to find each State's official site and look for your self. When you find them, print them out, or at least jot down the pertinent statute number(s) for reference, just in case...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Greg The Hammer wrote:
input regarding lawful towing in Alabama and Georgia. I would appreciate SPECIFIC reference to statute, not generalities.
:h

Might be quicker to look them up yourself, which is all we can do.

X2 I wanted to say that, but did not.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Greg The Hammer wrote:
input regarding lawful towing in Alabama and Georgia. I would appreciate SPECIFIC reference to statute, not generalities.
:h

Might be quicker to look them up yourself, which is all we can do.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
And don't count on the LEO that stops you to be aware of the particular law that supports your deed. There could be a law against commercial doubles, but not RV doubles. He may be unaware of the distinction, so be prepared, just in case.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Don't trust the sites that compile the laws. You, Greg The Hammer, need to contact the states and find the details for yourself. If it were me, I wouldn't trust anything I read here or on a non-official state site when it comes to this.

This is what I do. I have doubled in both States and called them both before hand. Both told me they have no laws for RV's. Funny thing was that in both states I had to drive around the court house in the both city's to get to my destinations. One was Guntersville Alabama and the other was Cummings Georgia. LOL!

Again, I would call them personally and get it from an actual DOT officer's mouth. Their laws could have changed yesterday.;)
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

X2
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I were seriously concerned with the necessary laws, I would contact the state DMV for information. The statutes you find could be superseded by new ones but not be posted, and information you get second-hand is not always correct.

I've towed double in Georgia and never been stopped, but YMMV.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ependydad wrote:
If it were me, I wouldn't trust anything I read here or on a non-official state site when it comes to this.
or something someone else had to look up for me.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
There are several different web sites with towing laws such as Towing World, RVsafely, and others.

Note that it will often be listed on these various sites as "Triple Tow", not double tow or towing double. The terminology has been beaten to death here, but in the RV world triple tow means 3 vehicles, the tow vehicle and two towed vehicles.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Greg The Hammer wrote:

This may help: Towing Laws
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006