cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

toy haulers stop at weigh stations?

soje
Explorer
Explorer
Are toy haulers required to stop at weigh stations/truck inspections or are they the same as all travel trailers{rv`s)
What about flatbed trailers hauling personal items?
Thanks in advance
28 REPLIES 28

Steve76eb
Explorer
Explorer
socaladam wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Clearly signed “Commercial Vehicles Only” in California.

A little known fact in CA. ANY personal truck with a plate that consist of 1 number + 1 letter + 5 numbers (1A23456) is a commercial plate. Same goes for the new plates in reverse order (65432A1).

So if CHP want's to be a jerk about it, the plates on your truck, even personally owned, are commercial plates and you are subject to the weigh station.

Not quite. Even though all pickup trucks are considered commercial vehicles in CA, not all of them have to stop at scales. They even have signs on the scales saying "NO PICKUPS". You will have to stop at the scales though and run the numbers on the side of the truck if your pickup meets one or more of the following:

A GVWR of 11,500 pounds or more
An unladen weight of 8,001 pounds or more
An open box-type bed exceeding nine feet
A utility body or flatbed instead of a pickup bed

My last Dodge dually from 2014 weighed over 8000 lbs and had a GVWR over 11,500. So technically I had to declare and pay for the extra weight of my choosing, run the weight stickers on the door and stop at scales if I was bobtailing, but was not required to stop if I had my 5th wheel attached. The older F450's were the first truck to run into this issue because of their weight and ratings. As long as you do not drive around without your RV attached you are cool. If you run into a cop or CHP that knows the law and wants to be a tin man, and you are running around bobtail without the proper paperwork, you can be in for a world of hurt.

socaladam
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Clearly signed “Commercial Vehicles Only” in California.

A little known fact in CA. ANY personal truck with a plate that consist of 1 number + 1 letter + 5 numbers (1A23456) is a commercial plate. Same goes for the new plates in reverse order (65432A1).

So if CHP want's to be a jerk about it, the plates on your truck, even personally owned, are commercial plates and you are subject to the weigh station.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
sin cal hd wrote:
Dirtclods wrote:
nayther wrote:
Dirtclods wrote:
joebedford ~ one-truck is registered as COMMERCIAL 2nd that! ( confusing )

and in CA we MUST buy "commercial" plates for our pickups, even if not used commercially.

,Also if your using you pick up ~ (For Hire) You'll need a M.C.P. ? Yep Motor Carrier Permit in CA

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/dmv/home/dmvsearch?q=MCP

And a CA#

yes and yes, more ways to reach in your pocket.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
nayther wrote:
Dirtclods wrote:

and in CA we MUST buy "commercial" plates for our pickups, even if not used commercially.

,Also if your using you pick up ~ (For Hire) You'll need a M.C.P. ? Yep Motor Carrier Permit in CA

And a CA#
2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
Dirtclods wrote:

AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
To answer the question from a DOT stand point YES. Only if the rv is being hauled by an rv transporter. But you as the owner do not have to pull in.
2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Copperhead wrote:
And all of those towing trailers from plants to dealers must stop. That is commercial activity. Even if it's a little ultralight camper.

When I had my factory returns, the drivers were GIDDY that I left my license plate on it because it meant they wouldn't stop at weigh stations. (Never mind the fact they were simply giddy to get paid for the return trip to Indiana.)
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
And all of those towing trailers from plants to dealers must stop. That is commercial activity. Even if it's a little ultralight camper.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just to make it confusing for some, my one-ton truck is registered as COMMERCIAL because there is no personal registration for a vehicle that heavy in my jurisdiction. I once got pulled over when I was in my truck WITHOUT my 5er. The inspector wanted to see my log books. He let me off when I explained the situation but he said "You would never be pulled over with an RV on the back". I reduced the registered weight of the truck so I wouldn't get pulled over when I'm 'solo'.

It's all academic now because this year they took away my Class A driver's license because I got tired of taking annual physicals.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
There used to be a weigh station in Iowa that had a sign: "Trucks, Buses, and Pickups must weigh". It's been gone for many decades, and I've never seen another. And, as near as I can recall, I never saw that one open. Go figure.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Weigh stations in California have big signs that say “NO RV’s”. I guess they got tired of folks clogging up the weigh stations and wasting their time.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
DougE wrote:
Weight stations primarily exist to regulate heavy haulers and long distance drivers. For example, states generally restrict total rig loadweights to 80,000# (or something similar). There are also restrictions on driving hours that are confirmed by checking log books. So, in general, if you are not a long distance driver hauling heavy loads, weight stations are not for you.

yes it is 80,000. A special permit in needed for more. Strangely enough the max axle weights add up to more than 80k. Or they did when I drove
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers