cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPMS advice

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm putting new GY G614's on our camper this spring. I'd like to take as good care of them as possible. What kind/brand of tpms do you folks use/recommend? Does camper length have any bearing on my choice? Camper is ~37ft so the tires are a ways back there. I'm guessing these things are "wireless" so is one better than another? We are dual axles as well, so 4 sensors? Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Tires will be aired up 100+ lbs so it will need to read 3 digits?
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
18 REPLIES 18

MichiganTravele
Explorer
Explorer
I have the TST 507 on my fifth wheel and I now have peace of mind going down the road. I have a 38 foot fifth wheel and have not needed a repeater. My set came with 6 sensors, so I put four on the trailer and the other two on the inside wheel of my dual wheels of the truck.
Bob Wangen
Not all those who wander are lost!

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
klassic wrote:
What power source do you hook up the booster to?
Any 12v on the trailer would leave it on constantly and be a drain on the battery??

I have mine mounted in the cabinet in the bedroom where a television would be so it has a 12 volt power source and the booster has a 12 volt plug on it. I just plug it in when we leave and unplug it when we are camped.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't matter. It goes somewhere between the most distant tire pressure sensor(s) and the receiver in the truck's cab so that it can pick up and relay the signals. The rear bumper area of our truck is about the halfway point, so it works fine there.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

klassic
Explorer
Explorer
Is it suppose to go on the truck or the trailer?
klassic
2016 Jayco North Point 341RLTS
2017 F350 Platinum
Reese Signature Series 18K slider
520watts solar

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Pollak 7-pin trailer plug that I wired to power the repeater from the +12VDC and ground connections. I plug it into the truck's unused receiver (bumper) receptacle when towing. Current draw is in milliamperes, so to draw down all the batteries in the truck and the RV while they are hitched together would take weeks or months. When I unhitch the 5th wheel, I unplug the repeater and store it away.

Another approach would be to wire it into a switched +12VDC source on the truck that's only powered when the ignition switch is turned on.

Rusty

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

klassic
Explorer
Explorer
What power source do you hook up the booster to?
Any 12v on the trailer would leave it on constantly and be a drain on the battery??
klassic
2017 F350 Platinum
520watts solar

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the use of the TST repeater, it all depends on the distance from the trailer tires to the receiver and any blocking or shielding that may be present. In my case, the repeater IS required. I forgot to plug it in to the 7-pin Pollak bumper receptacle one trip and received a "lost signal" warning on 2 of the 4 trailer tires within the first hour even though I had all 4 on the display before pulling out that morning. Total length of our trailer is ~40 feet.

Rusty

B&W RVK3600

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Started using TST about 3 years ago and very well pleased.
Customer service was good getting them installed.
No problems yet. Would buy again.
I have a 32 ft. 5th wheel and didn't need anything to help with signal.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dick_B wrote:
Search this Forum for `tpms' then search the results for the manufacturer of interest. We are happy with our Pressure Pro.

x2 on Pressure Pro. Coming up on 8 years and only had 1 sensor fail with no other issues.

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
klassic wrote:
Do you need to rebalance the tires due to the weight of the transmitter?
And why is there the choice of brass and aluminum?

No you don't have to rebalance your tires, one thing I did was have short valve stems installed so my TST pass through monitors don't hang out pass the tires. I also didn't need a amplifier on my setup.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

DIVECOP_1
Explorer
Explorer
Tireminders, easy to install and program, and their customer support is A1
2012 F 350 CC LB DRW Lariet B&W Companion OEM 2013 Open Range R417RSS 2 Vizslas Cali & Shooter

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
klassic wrote:

I don't have any experience with these (yet) but have been researching them. From what I'm reading about them the brass are the preferred ones because they don't corrode onto your valve stems. Again, this is what I read, but it makes sense to me.

Dan

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
klassic wrote:

I didn't, and I haven't noticed any imbalance vibration in the truck, either with the OEM tires or the Michelins I just installed.

Dunno about the choice of materials unless it's to prevent galvanic corrosion with your valve stem material.

Rusty

B&W RVK3600

klassic
Explorer
Explorer
klassic
2017 F350 Platinum
520watts solar