Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tpms repeater

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Have the TST507 tpms system.
when traveling, not all the sensors show up. I have a 30ft 5er.
do I need to install a repeater, and are there different brands
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚
27 REPLIES 27

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
We have the 507 system on a 34 foot 5ver and don't need a repeater. It usually takes one or two of my sensors longer to come on line to the display but usually within 20-30 miles all sensors are showing up.

If it taking that long for the sensors to come on line you definitely need a repeater or my preference an external antenna.

The sensors send normal update data about every 5 minutes.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^That seems to be pretty normal. I usually turn mine on when I first start tearing things down, and all of them are reading by the time we actually leave.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 507 system on a 34 foot 5ver and don't need a repeater. It usually takes one or two of my sensors longer to come on line to the display but usually within 20-30 miles all sensors are showing up.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the same system. I was loosing one of the signals a few times from one of the tires and called the company. They sent me the larger antenna to replace the small 1 inch one that came with the system. There is 6/8 feet of wire so you can mount the antenna just about anywhere in the truck. I have had the system for 5 or 6 years now and have not lost a signal since replacing the antenna. Its a 40' 5er and I mounted the antenna on top of the rear view mirror. I like it since you do not need power as with the repeater...

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
golf_bears wrote:
fj12ryder,

I have the 507 system. Am traveling now so will be on the look out for your 1 hour theory. Will post when I run into the problem agian.
It's not a theory, it is admitted to by the company when asked. And I have had it happen to me. The company says it's common practice but I'm not so sure of that.

Yes, please post back. Any and all information is wonderful.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder,

I have the 507 system. Am traveling now so will be on the look out for your 1 hour theory. Will post when I run into the problem agian.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
rsg63 wrote:
Yes, alarm and no signal. But...don't think the signal is lost for an hour prior to the alarm, only because the readings change constantly up to the point of an alarm. Unless of course the readings I'm seeing are historical and being fed to me over time, but that seems unlikely.
The monitor takes about an hour to alert you to a lost signal. You will see the last reading until the alarm sounds, then the reading blanks out. You can check this by turning the monitor on battery power and leaving the trailer, like when you go get fuel or food. You'll find an hour will elapse before the alarm sounds.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
golf_bears wrote:
When one of my sensor's signal is lost, I get a beep from the monitor as the monitor cycles to that sensor again. This doesn't take an hour on my system. It happens within a few minutes.
What system are you using? If you're using a TST system, then an hour has elapsed before the beep. The last reading received from the sensor will be displayed until the alarm sounds. This takes about an hour.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
When one of my sensor's signal is lost, I get a beep from the monitor as the monitor cycles to that sensor again. This doesn't take an hour on my system. It happens within a few minutes.

rsg63
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious how you know you've lost a signal? The alarm and no reading on the monitor? You do know that when the alarm goes off you've been without that signal for an hour. So if it reconnects within 20 minutes, you've essentially been without any contact with that sensor for an hour and 20 minutes.

FWIW if you lose a signal, and it reconnects before an hour you'll never know that you had lost the signal. A huge shortcoming with the TST system. The notifying time should be only a few minutes, an hour is ridiculous.

Yes, alarm and no signal. But...don't think the signal is lost for an hour prior to the alarm, only because the readings change constantly up to the point of an alarm. Unless of course the readings I'm seeing are historical and being fed to me over time, but that seems unlikely.
2016 Bighorn/Fuel Rims/Michelin LTX's/MorRyde SRE4000 w/wetbolt kit
4-200AH LiPo batteries/MS2812 inverter/Prog 50A Surge/
8-100 Watt Renogy PV panels/60A Renogy Rover Converter/Reese Sidewinder/
2016 RAM 3500 Cummins MegaCab/45 aux tank/Hensley TS-3 hitch

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Have the same issue with my 507. I have the repeater but on occasion I still loose sensor signals here and there. All I do is shut down and start it up again. Call it a re-boot, all sensors come on line again.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
rsg63 wrote:
I have the 507 and the 510 systems. 510 is for marine use so it's on my boat trailer. Before I go repeater route, I recommend you try to place the base unit up high. In my case the best spot on the 507 unit is the sunroof, passenger side (suction cupped) with the display pointed towards me. It's up high and in a clearer line of sight to the trailer tires. I now only lose a signal about every 1k miles and the signal comes back within 20 minutes on it's own. If you hold it up and the signal works, then consider a longer antenna before the expense of a repeater.
Just curious how you know you've lost a signal? The alarm and no reading on the monitor? You do know that when the alarm goes off you've been without that signal for an hour. So if it reconnects within 20 minutes, you've essentially been without any contact with that sensor for an hour and 20 minutes.

FWIW if you lose a signal, and it reconnects before an hour you'll never know that you had lost the signal. A huge shortcoming with the TST system. The notifying time should be only a few minutes, an hour is ridiculous.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
If you are losing signal at all on a TST system then you basically do not have a working TPMS.

Because of the one hour before a signal loss is reported them it is possible for a very large share of the time you will never know that a tire has failed.

rsg63
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 507 and the 510 systems. 510 is for marine use so it's on my boat trailer. Before I go repeater route, I recommend you try to place the base unit up high. In my case the best spot on the 507 unit is the sunroof, passenger side (suction cupped) with the display pointed towards me. It's up high and in a clearer line of sight to the trailer tires. I now only lose a signal about every 1k miles and the signal comes back within 20 minutes on it's own. If you hold it up and the signal works, then consider a longer antenna before the expense of a repeater.
2016 Bighorn/Fuel Rims/Michelin LTX's/MorRyde SRE4000 w/wetbolt kit
4-200AH LiPo batteries/MS2812 inverter/Prog 50A Surge/
8-100 Watt Renogy PV panels/60A Renogy Rover Converter/Reese Sidewinder/
2016 RAM 3500 Cummins MegaCab/45 aux tank/Hensley TS-3 hitch