cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPMS Sensors when RV is stored

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Soon it will be time to winterize up here in the Northeast and I store my 5th wheel outside in the elements. So I was wondering if I should remove my TPMS sensors from the valve stems and keep them in our home for the winter. I guess they have small batteries in them. Will this extend the battery life or should I not worry about removing them? I have the EEZ TPMS system.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
18 REPLIES 18

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I take my TST sensors off every year before the trailer goes back in storage. With no pressure the sensors don't transmit. Most of my sensor batteries are at least 5 years old. I've had to replace 2 out of 6 so far. Works for me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
RinconVTR wrote:
Every TPMS sensor in the world uses lithium batteries and they all store just fine. All of them have a sleep mode to conserve power use as well.

If you have the valve stem cap style, it wont hurt to bring them in. But you'll need to mark their locations or re-pair them when you mount them again in Spring.

I leave mine on. There's bigger things to worry about when closing up shop for winter.

And heck, if you have the cap style, you should really replace the lithium coin batteries every year regardless. They are cheap and easy to replace.

Interesting, mine that I use on my TT don't use lithium batterys and when I bought the system I didn't see that option.
BTW, Modern cars and trucks do not use batteries at all for their sensors.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Every TPMS sensor in the world uses lithium batteries and they all store just fine. All of them have a sleep mode to conserve power use as well.

If you have the valve stem cap style, it wont hurt to bring them in. But you'll need to mark their locations or re-pair them when you mount them again in Spring.

I leave mine on. There's bigger things to worry about when closing up shop for winter.

And heck, if you have the cap style, you should really replace the lithium coin batteries every year regardless. They are cheap and easy to replace.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
RobWNY wrote:
Soon it will be time to winterize up here in the Northeast and I store my 5th wheel outside in the elements. So I was wondering if I should remove my TPMS sensors from the valve stems and keep them in our home for the winter. I guess they have small batteries in them. Will this extend the battery life or should I not worry about removing them? I have the EEZ TPMS system.

It certainly wont hurt to bring them in where's it's warm.
I keep waiting for the manufacturers of these systems to start using the same technology modern cars use and stop using batteries.