cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling w Bicycles

RWalt
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, what is the best way to travel with bicycles on a 5ver?
We used to carry them in a bike rack behind our 5ver but the rack broke and ended up dragging 4 bikes down the highway. Since then we have learned that both Thule and Yakima have warnings against using their racks on trailers (front or back). I have thought about only storing two on a back rack and placing two inside the unit but this could be a pain when we pull over for just an overnight. Our TV is a short bed and there is no room for them in the bed
2013 Ford CC SB 4X4 6.7
50 gal Titan fuel cell
2013 Alpine 3495
30 REPLIES 30

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2" front receiver from Etrailer.com and carry the bikes in the front of the truck on a bike rack. Sorry I don't have a picture.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

RWalt
Explorer
Explorer
Tks for the ideas. I'm going to look at two on the rear trailer with a beefed up carrier and review options for the other two. The bikes will fit not between the truck and trailer which seems like the best option. I'm leary of putting them out front or on the roof of the truck. We seem to hit a bird about once a year and these locations would be directly in line with them.
2013 Ford CC SB 4X4 6.7
50 gal Titan fuel cell
2013 Alpine 3495

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
kampinguru wrote:
Put a front mount receiver on the front of the truck. Works great for us with 3 bikes.

We did same, bought a bodiak that installed using tow hooks. Now we use it for bikes and also can use it to carry firewood in cargo carrier, works great for both.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you already have a bike rack, you can make a very inexpensive frame to mount to the pin box. No bouncing here. And up and out of the way.

I bought the receiver for about $20 and already had some spare 2x2 angle. Mounts to the pin box bolts. No drilling of the pin box required.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
We also carry two bikes on a Swagman rack on the back of the fiver. The receiver hitch is a a factory option, so it is plenty strong enough. Been almost coast to coast and Florida to Canada with no issues at all.

Our setup does carry the bikes quite close to the back of the fiver - I remove a pedal and turn the handle bars 90 degrees for clearance - so that helps keep the stress level lower.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For previous posts you could search this Forum for `bike rack' in the Fifth Wheel section.
For those who have not, as yet, purchased the bikes I recommend Dahon folding bikes which we used for many years when we were sailing. they foldup into a suitcase size and can be stored almost anywhere.
Now we use a Saris Cycle On mounted on the front of our TV for two adult bikes (and tie them down with several bunges) BUT the new ones only have a 1 1/4 inch post with a 2 inch adapter which is not strong enough IMHO.
Take a look at http://www.prolineracks.com/sportrack-sr2902-4ez-bike-racks.html which has a true 2 inch post.
5ers don't seem to bounce as much in the back but I would NEVER carry my bikes on the back of my TT.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

kampinguru
Explorer
Explorer
Put a front mount receiver on the front of the truck. Works great for us with 3 bikes.
2000 F-250 S/B 4X4
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
Pullrite Superglide 16K

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
1UPUSA makes a very heavy duty and one of the few rear RV bike racks, and charges appropriately for it. Here's what they say.

"1up USA advises a two bike max for RV and travel trailer usage for our two inch models. The 1 ¼ inch models are not intended for RV and travel trailer use."
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
Have a better hitch welded to the frame. I had a welding shop weld one to my frame and he said I could pretty much tow anything I wanted to, even though it was only for my bike rack. We sold the 5th wheel and got a toyhauler. Now I have a bike rack I don't even use.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We installed a Curt front mount receiver on our truck and carry our bikes on a Swagman XC rack. Works great, no movement and we ways have an eye on them.

I have no overheating of the truck or blockage of my headlights.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Consider an Arvika pin Box bike rack

***Link Removed***

That's pretty sweet. Might have to get one, even tho we have a toy hauler.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Consider an Arvika pin Box bike rack

Images of Arvika bike racks

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

truckin-on
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a long-bed truck, the absolute best solution I believe is to bolt a receiver setup to the pin-box and front-mount a carrier over the bed of the truck in front of the trailer. I've been running that for several years now with over ~10k miles with a Swagman 4-bike rack. The bikes do not bounce, you can see them in the mirror, they don't extend the length of the trailer, and they clear the back of the cab with no problem at all. It's a great use of otherwise wasted space.

Downsides are limited to: The bikes accumulate more bugs and dirt (being in the wind-stream), you likely need a step stool to get them on and off, and you can't get to them with the trailer connected to the truck. All in all, minor trade-offs.

I made up the adapter by cutting and welding a receiver tube (at the appropriate pin-box angle) to a steel plate, with a brace, then bolted the plate to the pin-box. Works great, and the rack is easy to remove it you want to use it on the truck while the trailer is parked.

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a ladder mount with lots of straps. Even if the rack mount broke, the straps would hold the bikes, as long as the ladder stayed on the trailer. So far so good.

mydazeoff
Explorer
Explorer
Put 2 on the rear of the 5ver and 2 on top of the truck with bar rack. I've also seen rigs with 2 bikes on the front of the truck.
mydazeoff
Annapolis, MD
Cedar Creek RLSA34, GMC3500HD Duramax