cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uneven tire wear

AM_Allan
Explorer
Explorer
I've been researching this forum for tire advice. I've learned quite a bit about tires and rims. I'm planning on buying a set of Sailun ST235/80R 16/14 S637T from Les Schwab. I believe my 8-lug Sendel aluminum rims are rated for 110psi. I will double check when the rim is off. I must cop to being very unobservant regarding my tires. I HAVE noticed that the front right tire was nearing replacement wear (probably because it's closest to the steps/door so I see it clearly), but I didn't notice that the wear was uneven with considerably more wear on the outboard side when compared to the inner side. Upon checking the other 3 wheels I see the wear is not that bad, comparable to the inner side of the front right tire. I'm prepared for the lecture of needing to be more conscious of my tires, but what would cause the wear pattern I've described? Can trailer tires only be "rotated" front to back and not side to side as with autos & trucks? Any experienced advice will be appreciated.

Montana High Country 34' 5th wheel
12 REPLIES 12

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
I just had our 2yr old aligned today.It was fubar bad. Passenger side was higher than the driver side.Toe and camber was way off too.It wore out the inside edge of the back driver side down to the belt about a 1 1/2 ". Best $150 bucks I've spent on her for awhile.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
C:\Users\Alastair\Desktop\IMG_2166.jpg

You cannot post pictures from your hard drive. You need a host with a fixed IP address to provide the link.

This link is free and endorsed by RV.net:

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

I have had my share of wear issues. Indicated a bad tire with a shifting belt or the springs were sagging (flattened) so bad the axles became mis-aligned.

New tires and new springs and it is better than new.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
The rigs needs to go to an axle shop and get the wheels aligned. Otherwise you re going to continue to have uneven wear. I take mine and have the alignment checked every two years.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes, things are just a mystery and we'll never know why.

My Outback was going on 2 years old (original tires) when I noticed one of four tires had very uneven worn tread and the other 3 did not.

I posted about this on these forums and got all kinds of sage advise from replacing tires to having my axles examined for correct alignment, to a whole bunch of other things.

I never did figure out what caused but had a theory.

All 4 tires were the original tires from the manufacturer. I don't even remember what they were now. But quite obvious, they were not high-end, high-quality tires for sure. The best I can figure, one tire was more defective than the other 3. It simply was a bad tire from the very beginning, or manufactured without good inspection, or who knows. Anyway, it was just not an equal tire as the other 3, and the rubber wore uneven.

Maybe the position of tire had something to do with it? It was the passenger side front tire (trailer), that also was more prone to scrubbing curbs, making right hand turns (which I highly avoided doing). But maybe something about the turning caused that specific tire to wear more.

Anyway, I did not follow the sage advise, and just got all 4 new tires (Carlisle's) and its now been 3 more years and all 4 of my tires are not showing any tread wear. At least they all 4 look equal, and the tread is equal. So it wasn't a bent axle or anything out of alignment. I think it was just a funky tire.

Maybe your's is just that simple too.

Good luck. Hope you can resolve it as easily as I did mine.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
Trailer tires can be rotated the same as a car or truck. Sounds like you may have an alignment issue. Find a shop that works on commercial trailers as they should be able to align your trailer. Had mine done 5 years ago and it has been fine since.

What RA said, it is just as simple as that as I "see" it on the internet.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cannot see your picture, but you are running under-inflated IMO. One tire wearing poorly compared to others is usually an alignment issue. While some do rotate tires, most don't. Most times the tires time out, rather than wear out, so rotation is not necessary.

Jerry

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
AM Allan wrote:
I'm still on the original tires. they have caused me no problems at all. They are Reiner ST 235/80, load range E. I run about 65lbs.
Wear is progressively more noticeable from outboard to in.

So why are you using a LRD (65 PSI) inflation pressure on a LRE tire? Is that what your trailer manufacturer recommended?

Your uneven wear may be an indication of under inflation. You may soon start throwing treads all over the highways.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
WHY would you go from an 'E' rated tire that has a load rating of 3520# at 80psi to a 'G' Rated tire that has a load rating of 4080# at 110psi?

And why are you only running them at 65psi?

Your Sendel wheels are probably 3580#
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

AM_Allan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still on the original tires. they have caused me no problems at all. They are Reiner ST 235/80, load range E. I run about 65lbs.
Wear is progressively more noticeable from outboard to in.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trailer tires can be rotated the same as a car or truck. Sounds like you may have an alignment issue. Find a shop that works on commercial trailers as they should be able to align your trailer. Had mine done 5 years ago and it has been fine since.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What size/load rated tires currently on 5vr?
What air pressure have you been using?

Inside/outside tire wear can be alignment issues, overloaded condition, sagging springs, bent spindle, axle etc

Not sure WHAT wear pattern you were describing .....?

Tire Wear Patterns

Sailun gets good reviews and is good competition for Good Year G614 'G' Rated Tires.....at a better price point too.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You haven’t been checking tire tread on each wheel every time you check inflation and fill if needed...which is at least before each morning’s departure? Why not? Do you check your 5er brakes as soon as you can?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad