cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unhooking electric from tow vehicle

JaycoAngel
Explorer
Explorer
Question for when pulling in a site for the night and not unhooking from your tow vehicle: when plugging into 30 amp service at the campground, should you unhook the electrical from your truck?
25 REPLIES 25

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
As long as the trailer is plugged in to the pedestal, unplugging from the truck will not matter.

X2.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always unplug. Just don't want an unlikely issue with draining the TV battery or electric spike also frying the TV but its very rare when I hook up to shore power.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law. With that in mind I try to be in the habit of unplugging, even if it is only a Walmart overnight.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
As long as the trailer is plugged in to the pedestal, unplugging from the truck will not matter.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
We unplug.

*Protection against electrical surges/lighting--admittedly not likely to happen, but very bad if it did.
*If tow vehicle kill switch doesn't work like it's supposed to, tow vehicle battery could be drained. Also unlikely but really annoying.

It's mostly a habit, but 15 second insurance is cheap.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
I unplug now. I didn't until I had converter failure. With the trailer connected to the truck I didn't realize the converter was not working until morning when the slides would not retract and the truck would not start. Now I make sure to unplug.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I unplug. My choice.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

HawkTX
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my 5th wheel I would always unplug. It takes two seconds for piece of mind. The probability of something happening is slim to none, but that one time man! That one time! lol

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
JaycoAngel wrote:
Question for when pulling in a site for the night and not unhooking from your tow vehicle: when plugging into 30 amp service at the campground, should you unhook the electrical from your truck?

When plugging into shore power?

I guess the sky is falling folks would worry about a surge taking out both trailer and truck?

For one nighters, I don't disconnect the truck. It puts a bit of power into the truck battery but not too much, there's a lot of resistance along that route.

It's also neat if I turn the trailer marker lights on, the rooftop markers on the truck come on too.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Need to? Depends on your truck. Some trucks have a "live" 12 volt feed from the truck to the trailer regardless if the truck key is on or off. Other trucks have a kill feature when the key is off. If the truck has the kill feature, where there is no feed with the key off, then it really does not matter.

For peace of mind, unplug. It only takes a split second to unplug.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Some trucks unhook the charge wire and some don't. I have never unhooked the cord if I don't unhook the trailer.