cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using a Tug to park your 5er?

markm
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use a tug to park their trailer? I have been looking at Parkit 360, it has 15K GVWR and 2200 lb tongue limit. Not heavy enough to accomadate next 5er. Next option is TrailerCaddy, which has a model to handle over 16K trailer wt and 3000 lb tongue wt.H
8 REPLIES 8

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Isaac-1 wrote:
We use something similar to move trailers around on the family cattle ranch, though for a 5th wheel you would likely need to incorporate a 5th wheel to gooseneck adapter into the mix or build something similar with a 5th wheel receiver.

Simple. Take the ball off and build a "cup" to hold the king pin and bolt it in place of the ball; just be sure the cup isn't too deep or you'll destroy your lube plate. This is what every RV dealer does, just bolt the cup to one fork on a lift. Personally, I'd use the loader rather than the 3-point. This way you can watch the trailer much easier than when reversing. Also, forward gears are usually lower range than reverse gears, so slow maneuvering is a lot easier.

With a heavier trailer, though, you'll need to watch the pin weight on the 3-pt and be sure you don't overload the rear end, both in capacity or have the =front= come off the ground. Been there, done that on =both=!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I posted a similar query a while back *ok - probably "years" back ... and the 3 options were ParkIt, PwerCastor or home built ... I haven't done any of the above yet, but still would like to do some kind of home built with ATV to move, or battery powered. I want to move mine across the back yard (paved driveway, but sharp turn with a gate right where the truck needs to make the turn).
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
markm wrote:
Sidecarflip: Could you post a picture of that homemade dolly? I have a 2305 subcompact diesel JD tractor with 3-point hitch. I was thinking there might be someway to use the tractor and a dolly. Would be a lot cheaper than TrailerCaddy.
Thanks

Sorry Big D......couldnt resist this one
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Try a search - this has been on here before. Not too often, but "before".
Maybe search older than last 12 months.
A Google search will also yield other forums with info.

The various commercial dollys (that are capable) are very expensive, as you may have already seen. Others, like the "Parkit 360" may *not* be capable of moving 5th wheel trailers except on completely flat ground.

If you have a tractor, you are fortunate! - (IMO) look into options to use it.

I don't have that option - and after lots (and lots) of research, the most cost
effective (least expensive and most "capable") way to move a 5th is with a used fork lift.
Most dealers and service facilities use a fork lift with a 5th wheel pin attachment (receiver plate)on the forks.
The attachment is either "self-fabricated" (cheap!) - or, there are commercial ones available for around $200-$300.

Check Craigslist for used forklifts -and- the attachments.
Note: You *don't* want the 'small wheel' fork lifts normally used inside warehouses, etc..

Good luck finding the right "mover"!.. :C

~

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
We use something similar to move trailers around on the family cattle ranch, though for a 5th wheel you would likely need to incorporate a 5th wheel to gooseneck adapter into the mix or build something similar with a 5th wheel receiver.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
LINK 3 point hitch
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

markm
Explorer
Explorer
Sidecarflip: Could you post a picture of that homemade dolly? I have a 2305 subcompact diesel JD tractor with 3-point hitch. I was thinking there might be someway to use the tractor and a dolly. Would be a lot cheaper than TrailerCaddy.
Thanks

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use my quad with a home made dolly and / or one of the farm tractors with a rear mount 3 point carrier on it. Not spotting a 5'er but a loaded goose neck tri axle trailer, typically loaded with hay and grossing around 20K pounds.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB